October 17, 2018, 04:48:23 AM

Author Topic: fonseca  (Read 6415 times)

May 08, 2018, 09:54:19 PM
Reply #45

D15TIN

7/1 Wenger to be next manager, 3rd favourites after France & PSG

May 08, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
Reply #46

KoemansNumberTens

LVG or Wenger. Would both be horrible uninspired picks

May 08, 2018, 10:18:00 PM
Reply #47

Cereal Killer

LVG or Wenger. Would both be horrible uninspired picks

Yes but they've both got books that Moshiri has read....

May 08, 2018, 10:21:08 PM
Reply #48

Hawkandro

Yes but they've both got books that Moshiri has read....

Hope no one has given him a copy of Tony Adams book then.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

May 08, 2018, 11:33:21 PM
Reply #49

bogie

Hope no one has given him a copy of Tony Adams book then.

fuck

May 09, 2018, 02:16:04 AM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What managers out there play decent attacking and effective football now anyway? The second placed club plays pretty average football (albeit still a ton better than us). Everything is safe these days. It's boring.

I think thereís actually an argument to say football is moving away from cold possession football to fast teams who score lots of goals.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2018, 04:48:29 PM
Reply #51

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think thereís actually an argument to say football is moving away from cold possession football to fast teams who score lots of goals.

Swings and roundabouts.

That will be the deal until a manager creates a technique that nullifies that.
They will then go on to be dominant until everybody copies it.
Then it will become ubiquitous and there will be a period where 'variations on a theme' will rise and fall.

Then somebody will come up with a penetrating counter
rinse and repeat

It's been going on since just before the second world war and is the main reason i roll my eyes when 30-somethings talk about wanting wingers in a team.

May 09, 2018, 06:50:02 PM
Reply #52

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Swings and roundabouts.

That will be the deal until a manager creates a technique that nullifies that.
They will then go on to be dominant until everybody copies it.
Then it will become ubiquitous and there will be a period where 'variations on a theme' will rise and fall.

Then somebody will come up with a penetrating counter
rinse and repeat

It's been going on since just before the second world war and is the main reason i roll my eyes when 30-somethings talk about wanting wingers in a team.

Seems a bit ignorant to me to be honest? The game changes so donít bother adapting as it will change again soon enough and 30 year olds donít know as much as me?

I know youíre not trying to be confrontational with that post and I largely agree that evolutions and revolutions happen, but Iím not sure it should be eye-rolled at..
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2018, 06:59:15 PM
Reply #53

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Seems a bit ignorant to me to be honest? The game changes so donít bother adapting as it will change again soon enough and 30 year olds donít know as much as me?

I know youíre not trying to be confrontational with that post and I largely agree that evolutions and revolutions happen, but Iím not sure it should be eye-rolled at..

1st point was that i was agreeing with you - the game has moved on very recently (this season in fact).

I do not in any way say that you should not change things.
My qualifier about wingers/30 year olds is that the term is used in the manner of the 90s wingers. Wide men who hug the chalk, get to a byline to pump in a cross.

Reminiscing about the lack of a winger is very much a fools game and something that is a personal bugbear of mine. That one specific point is where the eye-roll came from. Not the premise of shifting tactics.
The game has moved on.

Unless, of course you are underpinning that desire with an entire tactical shift from the last time they were useful so as to negate the current formations and doubling back they would encounter nowadays? In which case fair enough. But few do.

May 09, 2018, 07:09:56 PM
Reply #54

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
1st point was that i was agreeing with you - the game has moved on very recently (this season in fact).

I do not in any way say that you should not change things.
My qualifier about wingers/30 year olds is that the term is used in the manner of the 90s wingers. Wide men who hug the chalk, get to a byline to pump in a cross.

Reminiscing about the lack of a winger is very much a fools game and something that is a personal bugbear of mine. That one specific point is where the eye-roll came from. Not the premise of shifting tactics.
The game has moved on.

Unless, of course you are underpinning that desire with an entire tactical shift from the last time they were useful so as to negate the current formations and doubling back they would encounter nowadays? In which case fair enough. But few do.

I see, I think Iíve misunderstood your post to be honest. Apologies!

May 09, 2018, 07:58:19 PM
Reply #55

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Re the last few posts I think itís a good consideration when picking a new manager.

I think you either need to be in line with current tactics so that you at least appear to be on the right track (as in, your tactics are sound but just need better players) or youíve got to be the one to come up with something that is pretty much a counter to the current trends and probably starts the new one.

The second I think is pretty difficult unless youíve got lots of money to ride out any difficult periods if results donít come (and you look way out of sync with the current game) or youíve got nothing to lose (as in what preceded you was awful so anything that might avoid a disaster will be welcome, along with a few good results).

So the most likely approach is the first one. We need to make ourselves, as a starting point, less good versions (for want of a better phrase) of the top teams. We can then get back to a point of identifying which specific positions need improvement.

At the moment everything seems a mess because we have no proper, tactical plan and that means that itís hard to really judge anyone. It feels like every position is weak almost, whereas that isnít the case (individuals have dragged us to 8th).

May 09, 2018, 08:33:59 PM
Reply #56

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Re the last few posts I think itís a good consideration when picking a new manager.

I think you either need to be in line with current tactics so that you at least appear to be on the right track (as in, your tactics are sound but just need better players) or youíve got to be the one to come up with something that is pretty much a counter to the current trends and probably starts the new one.

The second I think is pretty difficult unless youíve got lots of money to ride out any difficult periods if results donít come (and you look way out of sync with the current game) or youíve got nothing to lose (as in what preceded you was awful so anything that might avoid a disaster will be welcome, along with a few good results).

So the most likely approach is the first one. We need to make ourselves, as a starting point, less good versions (for want of a better phrase) of the top teams. We can then get back to a point of identifying which specific positions need improvement.

At the moment everything seems a mess because we have no proper, tactical plan and that means that itís hard to really judge anyone. It feels like every position is weak almost, whereas that isnít the case (individuals have dragged us to 8th).

Got to agree with that. I genuinely thought Martinez may have been onto something very early doors. Not revolution induced dominance. But sufficient swagger to trouble the top 4.
Unfortunately that was all built on residual defensive toughness that he couldn't maintain himself.

Since then i think we need to start again. Moyes (and Allardyce funnily enough) were pioneers of the 5-man midfield, choking a game and having a bit of forward thrust to win tight games.
It was the Mourinho who turned that 5 man midfield into a fluid entity, with all of them willing to flow forward or back depending on the situation.

We need now to look to bring a manager in to emulate, not break. We aren't in the position to hire a mind who can break this cavalier surge that Klopp & Guardiola are employing. We need a lesser varient of it. But something that is sufficient to match 6th, 5th and maybe 4th every now and again.
But it will take a year or 2 before we can start nipping at 6th i think.

Moyes left when his tactics stagnated to the point we weren't realistically getting higher than 7th often. That's the same position we are in now.

May 09, 2018, 08:47:00 PM
Reply #57

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think if arsenal hire poorly, if Tottenham slip in recruitment and get their bones picked a bit, and if Chelsea hire poorly, the next two years could leave a juicy looking nipper spot.

Will be us, Leicester, Southampton, Watford or Wolves.

We need a big club style and big club recruitment. Frankly following Liverpoolís model since FSG/Klopp would be our best bet and we need to make that gamble asap.

May 09, 2018, 09:59:09 PM
Reply #58

D15TIN

Yeah there is teams above us were capable of closing the gap on - Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs all could potentially fall a bit we need a plan/ identity and a young manager to do it

Im expecting us to finish 7th again next season regardless of what happens in the next couple of weeks

May 10, 2018, 03:23:38 AM
Reply #59

Bluedylan

Nice to see a couple of NSNO heavyweights interact there, @brap2 and @Mick 1995.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.