July 22, 2018, 04:39:42 AM

Author Topic: Silva v Fonseca  (Read 4405 times)

May 02, 2018, 03:43:55 PM
Reply #45

blue slug

This.

We may have points on the board but our football is fucking abysmal. Points are important but so is being entertained. If it was strictly all about points I may as well never watch any matches ever again and just wait for the results round up at 5pm.

This is what I would be doing if allardyce is still manager next season, I canít bare to watch us itís utter turgid shite served up week after week

May 02, 2018, 04:11:20 PM
Reply #46

AllyBlue14

Allardyce would bring stability and after the start we had this season, that would be reassuring. However, stability doesn't necessarily mean progress and at what point would we let go? We could keep him for the next 5 years, finishing mid-table, but we'd be stagnating.

We do need to have a replacement lined up before we get rid of Sam, though. The 'get rid of him right now' mentality is stupid because we'd then be rudderless, again.

As for Silva or Fonseca, who knows? It feels a bit like Porto guy all over again. I don't know a huge amount about Fonseca, except that he wore a Zorro mask and they beat City in the CL this season. Otherwise, he's achieving about what is expected with a good team in a poor league (and I've just learned that Metalist Kharkiv ceased to exist in 2016 and Dnipro were relegated last season).

Silva doesn't really inspire much confidence either tbh. It does amuse me that people talk about ambition and then laud the ex-Hull and Watford manager as the saviour! No, he didn't take Hull down, but it's still a blot on his copybook. And Watford may have looked decent for 10 matches, but we fluttered our eyelashes and it all went to pot - is that really all it takes?

If I had to pick, I'd go with Fonseca over Silva, based on him managing at a higher level. Either would be a risk, but it's one we need to take sooner or later and it'd hopefully breath life into a failing squad and weary fans.

May 02, 2018, 04:17:54 PM
Reply #47

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Could there possibly have been a clause in the severance pay of Silva saying he couldn't take the Everton job before the season's end?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 02, 2018, 04:21:47 PM
Reply #48

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Iíve got no interest in stability.

Stability is death for us.

I want progress.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 02, 2018, 04:22:33 PM
Reply #49

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Being reported that Leicester are looking at silva after their recent bad form.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/02/report-leicester-city-eye-marco-silva-as-claude-puel-replacement/
Hitc. I didnít read the article but did the word should appear a few times?
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

May 02, 2018, 04:55:44 PM
Reply #50

Bluedylan

I do think he did a good job. Was it better than allardyce did at Sunderland though. Seems odd that we seem to be slatting allardyces success and crediting silva on a battling failure

It's more the how, than just the results in isolation eh? But then you know that already, and plenty of people have said it.

Allardyce's ambition extends to doing what is expected of him, and not much else. The football is functional (being kind and diplomatic) at best. We will never unite behind him.

Silva plays attacking, aggressive football and doesn't approach bigger teams with an inferiority complex. He wouldn't be my number 1 candidate but massively preferable to the current incumbent.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 02, 2018, 05:13:12 PM
Reply #51

Macca77

If you're happy with stability and mediocre mundane football then Sam is the man for you. 

I however, don't want any of that, I want us to push on and close the huge gap between us and the top 6, then top 4. We won't get that with Allardyce

May 02, 2018, 05:27:14 PM
Reply #52

Ross

We offered 10 million for Silva, that's how much we wanted him, he's available for nothing now, id be amazed if we didnt as least have him in for a chat and listen to what he has to say

Doubt heíd tell them anything different to what he did 5 months back when they were waving massive money in his and Watfordís faces.

Itís a pretty straight forward decision all said and done.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 02, 2018, 05:59:18 PM
Reply #53

KoemansNumberTens

It's more the how, than just the results in isolation eh? But then you know that already, and plenty of people have said it.

Allardyce's ambition extends to doing what is expected of him, and not much else. The football is functional (being kind and diplomatic) at best. We will never unite behind him.

Silva plays attacking, aggressive football and doesn't approach bigger teams with an inferiority complex. He wouldn't be my number 1 candidate but massively preferable to the current incumbent.

Silvas sides donít look like they can defend. Swings and roundabouts really

May 02, 2018, 06:02:42 PM
Reply #54

Toffee1

Silvas sides donít look like they can defend. Swings and roundabouts really

That may be the case now but Silva (or any of the young managers, that are linked) have the scope to develop and change - Allardyce is near the end of his managerial career and won't change. He has done his job and now it is time to move forward as the rest of the league will not standstill waiting for us.

May 02, 2018, 06:42:44 PM
Reply #55

dunkster

The passion amongst the players and the fans is sorely lacking. I think the new manager above all else must inject that desire back into the club.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 02, 2018, 07:03:56 PM
Reply #56

gizzblue

Any manager moving forward has to have a great idea in youth prosperity which Sam has shown he doesn't give two fucks about. .. we would be out buying more 28 -29 year old has beens and selling our best prospects ....the Lookman prophecies have proved this imho .

It take either a long punt on Fonzy or Silva just for the prospect of watching actual football next year ...not the absolute white flag waving we have this year over anything above us in the league .

Anything to fuck off the anti football shithouse tactics please Everton ffs.

May 02, 2018, 07:24:06 PM
Reply #57

Macca77

There's more life in a morgue than there is at Goodison, it will only get worse if next season

May 02, 2018, 09:00:47 PM
Reply #58

Rodenplav64

In fairness to him, Hull were already fucked when he took over, they went on a good run and picked up a lot of points when he took over.

In fairness he did the same as Carvalho at Swansea . I still think Jokanovic is going under the radar . Certainly if we want to develop the youth as well . The bloke doesn't like DOF's though as he likes the final say on transfers . I would take a manager who nearly got a team promoted ( they still might ) than one who nearly kept a team up . All moot of course if Moshiri has his sights set on rejection from some of the games main men .

May 02, 2018, 09:51:59 PM
Reply #59

Hawkandro

I've enjoyed watching Fulham whenever I have seen them on Sky. Looks like a decent manager.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.