November 14, 2018, 06:20:06 PM

Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri  (Read 9116 times)

May 09, 2018, 08:01:22 PM
Reply #45

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If we signed another young wide player, brought Lookman back and kept Walcott then I think at that price hed be an ok squad player giving us a decent mix of wide options/ ages.

May 09, 2018, 08:05:06 PM
Reply #46

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If we signed another young wide player, brought Lookman back and kept Walcott then I think at that price hed be an ok squad player giving us a decent mix of wide options/ ages.

Lozano / Ziyech / Sisto / Kluivert all available 🙏
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
Reply #47

Gash

Global Moderator
Not beyond the realm of possibility that hes finished but he wouldnt be the worlds worst gamble imo, and certainly not one to get up in arms about.

He's 26!

May 09, 2018, 08:43:20 PM
Reply #48

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He's 26!

I agree - plenty of time and would be a fine gamble.

But like I say, I dunno about his injury record and I just know his production has dropped off over s few bad years at a bad club. Its not beyond the realms of possibility that he is not just playing badly but is now just a bad player playing badly, I personally think hes be worth a gamble.

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 09, 2018, 09:19:16 PM
Reply #49

kramer0

He generally takes a lot of long-distance shots (over 60% of his shots for his career) and he's really only been scoring them the past two seasons (5 this season, 4 last season). He has 3 goals inside the penalty area this season, an improvement for him, and maybe a better team can generate better shots for him (his 2nd best goalscoring season in a "big" league was Bayern 13/14, where he took more shots inside the box than outside) but I always worry about regression to the mean for players who consistently take low-quality shots. There are really only a handful of players in the world who score them consistently.

In terms of chance creation, he's played over 2 key passes per 90 for his career, most of which WhoScored classes as "short" passes. With that said, when sorted by pass type, most of these chances seem to be created via set pieces and crosses. It's hard to say much about this without access to better data. WhoScored is the best I can find but their numbers don't always add up, which is obviously problematic.

According to WhoScored's style of play descriptors, he "likes to play long balls," "plays the ball off the ground often," "likes to shoot from distance," and "likes to cross," all of which sounds accurate based on those numbers and what I've seen from him and almost all of which sounds perfect for Allardyce (who cares about shot quality and generally discourages shooting from distance).

He's a pretty good Premier League winger but my general feeling is that we should be doing better, especially if we replace Allardyce with somebody more progressive.

May 09, 2018, 10:19:16 PM
Reply #50

Cozzie

Bin off Bolasie and Mirallas.

Get Lozano and Shaqiri in and get Lookman back.

Lookman, Walcott, Shaqiri, Lozano

Decent wide options there.

Despite the negatives hes gaining on here I wouldn't mind seeing Shaqiri here like, especially for the price quoted.

At 26 his best years should be starting right now.

May 09, 2018, 10:24:05 PM
Reply #51

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I just don't think he's even that good to be honest.

May 09, 2018, 10:28:46 PM
Reply #52

Bluedylan

We should try to sign Richarlison, or someone of that ilk, age group and promise. Frig 1 in 6 players like Shaqiri who go missing for months at a time.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 09, 2018, 10:41:43 PM
Reply #53

D15TIN

We should try to sign Richarlison, or someone of that ilk, age group and promise. Frig 1 in 6 players like Shaqiri who go missing for months at a time.
That Richarlison hasn't had a good game for some time now, I'd probably take Doucoure like

May 09, 2018, 10:57:16 PM
Reply #54

Macca77

Shaqiri couldn't cope with a rainy game at Stoke during the winter

May 09, 2018, 10:57:58 PM
Reply #55

Outworlder47

Shaqiri is a known quantity, and seems like a more developed version of Vlasic.

I'd be more in favor of Bailey, Brandt, and/or Havertz from Leverkusen. Lozano from PSV. Shoya Nakajima, perhaps, if a work permit could be sorted. That sort of player. Walcott especially, and Bolasie to a lesser degree, are sufficient in terms of knowing what you're going to get. The Shaqiris of the world are fine if we want to consolidate our position in the table, but we're 8th despite being crap for large periods this season and need to be aiming for better.

May 09, 2018, 10:59:00 PM
Reply #56

Gash

Global Moderator
Richarlison's form seems to have mirrored Watford's, scored 5 up to November then hasn't scored since.

May 09, 2018, 11:12:00 PM
Reply #57

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
This didn't use to be the case but I feel like the talent pool in the bottom of the league (or perhaps even outside of the top 6) is not what it was. Perhaps it's the bigger clubs being able to hoard players more than they used to, but I don't think there is really a great case for any attacking player currently in the bottom half of the PL who'd really help us push on and challenge the top 6. Surely that is the aim for us with anyone we bring in. A few squad players perhaps but nobody standout starting XI calibre.

Zaha would probably be the best example of someone who people say deserves to be playing higher up the league, but I don't think he is quite as good as people make out and I not nearly consistent enough...I mean 3 assists this season is not exactly stellar stuff and you know if he came here all those penalties he wins would dry up and he'd get 3 retroactive punishments for diving (which he frankly should've had this season anyhow).

May 09, 2018, 11:30:00 PM
Reply #58

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Havent seen Richarlison since before Christmas la, talking about 1 in 6 players.

I kid, I kid. In all honesty, richarlison looks twice the player (closer to arnautovic to my eye as well). Would love him here.

May 09, 2018, 11:31:30 PM
Reply #59

D15TIN

This didn't use to be the case but I feel like the talent pool in the bottom of the league (or perhaps even outside of the top 6) is not what it was. Perhaps it's the bigger clubs being able to hoard players more than they used to, but I don't think there is really a great case for any attacking player currently in the bottom half of the PL who'd really help us push on and challenge the top 6. Surely that is the aim for us with anyone we bring in. A few squad players perhaps but nobody standout starting XI calibre.

Zaha would probably be the best example of someone who people say deserves to be playing higher up the league, but I don't think he is quite as good as people make out and I not nearly consistent enough...I mean 3 assists this season is not exactly stellar stuff and you know if he came here all those penalties he wins would dry up and he'd get 3 retroactive punishments for diving (which he frankly should've had this season anyhow).
I think Zaha this season has gone up a notch, Palace have taken 0 points when he's not in the side, compared to 41 with - When you watch him now he looks a lot more dangerous - I'd also consider Loftus-Cheek as another option