May 25, 2018, 10:26:20 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 7646 times)

May 16, 2018, 06:11:03 PM
Reply #105

Ramjam

Wont be happy if Keane and Jagielka are our centre backs come august,I definitely want 2 new centre halfs, maybe Holgate can be a regular but I'm not sure about him
Yep, Keane is fuckin awful and jags has had his day, Holgate still a bit raw and lightweight so we could do with a couple of beasts in there one of them that can bring it out from the back like Alderwield at Spurs who incidentally is looking for a move.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 16, 2018, 07:03:03 PM
Reply #106

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes we are light years away, particularly in terms of attacking talent.

We do however probably have enough for 45-55 points next year attacking wise, and enough to beat crap below us.

However our back 4 and midfield 3 are truly awful in quality and depth respectively. Fix those two as priority, then spend big on attacking talent to fit into a specific system.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 16, 2018, 07:20:34 PM
Reply #107

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We need to put the oldies like Rooney, Williams and Jags and maybe Baines and replace them with quality.

We need another decent striker and a rebuild of midfield. Perhaps a new quality midfielder this summer and another in January.

So a new center back left back midfielder and striker and blend with what we have. And continue in winter. Another season of transition but going forwards this time.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

May 16, 2018, 07:39:26 PM
Reply #108

Lxxx

Loftus-Cheek for me.

Gana to sweep in front of the back four, a 6'3" physical presence next to him who is comfortable on the ball, can stride forward and turn our play into attack and is at the right age to improve. Then Sig to provide the goal scoring threat up top. Looks a good balance of age and ability to complement each other. I like the look of tall physical midfielders in the centre of the park, Matic looks a beast when he's stood in there.

May 16, 2018, 07:45:48 PM
Reply #109

Cereal Killer

Agree with that, probably 4 in and lookman returning would be adequate, the outs should be about 6,
Williams
Schniderlin
Bolasie
Rooney
Klaassen
Sandro

Mirallas
Besic
Martina
Robles
Garbutt
McCarthy?

May 16, 2018, 07:46:18 PM
Reply #110

themilkycoffees

Loftus-Cheek for me.

Gana to sweep in front of the back four, a 6'3" physical presence next to him who is comfortable on the ball, can stride forward and turn our play into attack and is at the right age to improve. Then Sig to provide the goal scoring threat up top. Looks a good balance of age and ability to complement each other. I like the look of tall physical midfielders in the centre of the park, Matic looks a beast when he's stood in there.

Exactly the sort of signing we should be making.

May 17, 2018, 12:35:59 AM
Reply #111

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Loftus-Cheek for me.

Like RLC a lot but big willy carvalho would eat him for breakfast
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 17, 2018, 12:49:03 AM
Reply #112

velimski

RLC has played out wide all season.

May 17, 2018, 12:50:44 AM
Reply #113

Toffee_4_Life

I agree with you when it comes to how many you can change but still Lookman, Walcott, Bolasie and Vlasic VS Sallah, Mane, Firminho, Can, Wijnaldum or VS Hazard, Willian, Giroud, Morata, Fabreagas, Pedro or VS Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Kane  - not to mention the Manchester teams - we are in a different league...The only way to manage competing with them without buying a lot of players would be to get three top of the shelf attackers. We need to start with beeing a threat up-front that in itself will make it easier to play as a defender and would be the only way forward.

We are realistically not going to compete with the top 6 next season and I think people need to accept that.

Yes weíve had a good couple of days and can look forward to next season but as we discovered this year you canít throw 8 new players into a team and expect it to work. Nor are we in a place to compete with just 3 or 4 signings.

We donít want to be that self entitled club weíre being made out in the media this week with BigSam being booted out do we? Itís going to take a while to be at that level, this is the start of a new project not a miricle invitation to the top 6.

Letís look to solidify that 7th place and get some cup runs in and maintain a squad thatís both big enough and good enough for Europe year in and year out.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:53:14 AM by Toffee_4_Life »

May 17, 2018, 12:58:27 AM
Reply #114

Lxxx

RLC has played out wide all season.

Which is bonkers. Heís not built for it and itís not his best position.

May 17, 2018, 01:01:23 AM
Reply #115

KoemansNumberTens

We need to try and find some talent. If we buy premier league proven again weíve given up before we even start. We simply canít afford or attract proven and remotely good enough

May 17, 2018, 01:03:11 AM
Reply #116

velimski

Which is bonkers. He’s not built for it and it’s not his best position.

Don't think i've ever seen him play any other position.

May 17, 2018, 01:34:32 AM
Reply #117

Mayor Farnum

Kurt Zouma would be a good and realistic signing.

May 17, 2018, 01:39:36 AM
Reply #118

D15TIN

Loftus-Cheek for me.

Agree with all of that

-----Gana---N'Zonzi

Walcott----Sig----Lookman/Loftus-Cheek
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:40:50 AM by D15TIN »

May 17, 2018, 05:00:46 AM
Reply #119

TrevorSteven

We are realistically not going to compete with the top 6 next season and I think people need to accept that.

Yes weíve had a good couple of days and can look forward to next season but as we discovered this year you canít throw 8 new players into a team and expect it to work. Nor are we in a place to compete with just 3 or 4 signings.

We donít want to be that self entitled club weíre being made out in the media this week with BigSam being booted out do we? Itís going to take a while to be at that level, this is the start of a new project not a miricle invitation to the top 6.

Letís look to solidify that 7th place and get some cup runs in and maintain a squad thatís both big enough and good enough for Europe year in and year out.

I do think you have some valid points there but I donīt agree that last summers signings defines that you canīt buy 8 new players and think it will go well. I do think that is possible - problem last summer was that we did many bad signings. I remember people last summer complaining about me moaning about our signings.  You just have to do the right signings.

Problem is that its so hard to do them. Buying proven PL players is not good enough for us - the best of them will end up at the top 6 clubs and we will end up with the likes of Rooney, Schneiderlin and Gylfi. As someone else wrote here - we need to go for unproven, talented players from countries like Italy, France and Spain. That is not easy either as the big clubs now buy them for their academies. Remember i.e Mane, Coutinho and Payet - it is possible to hit the jackpot but it is enough Nyarkos out there to fail. Most important - our team do sorely need players with pace, power and creativity in offensive positions. Its incredible that we lined up in the beginning of the season with Klaassen, Rooney and Gylfi - thats like having three slow players always looking for a breakthrough pass just to find out that we dont have any players doing the off the ball runs.

Liverpool is not a great team - their defensive players are not great footballers but they have three players with so much pace, power and skill that it is enough to create problems for the opponent - we just dont have players causing problems...So lets just put all effort in getting attacking minded players - who? I do not have a clue.