November 22, 2019, 10:22:48 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 182058 times)

July 09, 2018, 07:38:18 PM
Reply #15

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Don't see how you can blame koeman/ Walsh for this? Moshiri is in charge and supposed to be an accountant, he signed the cheques so he's ultimately responsible for where we are. If I was in Koemans boots and got a green light to do what I wanted id do exactly the same,  never his job you worry about anything other than the team.

The issue isnít just the numbers and cost, itís what those players are bringing back in either in terms of footballing outputs or potential value increases (or maintaining their value at very worst) that is the problem now.

Would Sandro on £120k pw be a problem if he was scoring 15-20 league goals? No.

Similarly with Klaassen etc.

No one is suggesting selling Pickford for example because heís contributing and going up in value.

Weíre looking to get rid of people who arenít providing value for money.

To pin it all on Moshiri would be to suggest that he should be vetoing identified players - which is too much.

July 10, 2018, 02:00:52 AM
Reply #16

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is this the last time we're all allowed to say this?

We've been saying this since Martinez left. That's 4 coaches ago...

But since RM left weíve finished 7th and 8th - suggesting that they are alright, unless you think that the last two managers wrung every last drop out of them.

July 10, 2018, 02:54:32 AM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No, but I think residual quality + a garbage league has helped. Leicester dropped off, Southampton dropped off, West Ham dropped off, Newcastle havenít come back up to level they were, Burnley were above us.

Our demonstrably good prem-level players are a year older (for some this is a genuine worry, for others it just means a near-drastic drop in value) and we havenít solved any of the last few years glaring gaps other than arguably RW with Theo, but he is a notoriously patchy player with injury problems (whoís the wrong side of 25 to boot.)

The long term squad building failures - back up for Baines, replacement for jags, replacement for Baines also actually, back up for Coleman, replacement for Barry (Morgan but..), replacement for lukaku (no not Tosun), replacement for Barkley, replacement for pienaar - are still largely present, but all those players still with us are now older so even less likely to perform or play as many minutes.

Teams around us, and by this I mean Leicester, Burnley, Southampton (3 teams well placed with quality) and West Ham and wolves to an extent (some quality, some loon factor) ARE improving.

Dunno, tell me itís fine if you like, it PROBABLY will be, but I canít watch another year like the one just gone, and pace, youth, quality and goals are all looking a little thin on the ground at the moment to me...

Yes this is all true but itís only 1 year on so maybe Jags and Baines might fall off the cliff.

None of the of the older players are at that point I wouldnít say.

Not signing anyone would be bad (and weird) but I think the point people are making is that even in that (unlikely) eventuality then itís not panic stations re the team.

Things donít just turn round in 5-6 weeks so the chances are weíll only sign 3 players for example.

But there are players here who are fast physically, what was really lacking was the dynamism of the team. Individuals look a lot faster when the groups is moving with coordination etc.

We do have, potentially, young players who will be involved more.

I donít think itís unreasonable for people to be more optimistic that a different management team will make more of the above a reality more often.

July 10, 2018, 03:02:11 AM
Reply #18

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You've lost me there like

He means we shouldnít just ignore that type of club potentially being better than us.

Weíre not in a position of the top teams where say if City have a terrible year there not finishing below Southampton, itíll be 6th at worst.

Mentioned it before but we do need to take confidence from the fact that we were rubbish for so much of last season but still finished 8th.

But we do need to learn from those mistakes.

July 10, 2018, 04:16:28 AM
Reply #19

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Well maybe no but none of them are getting any better.

Plus Walcott and Bolasie you would say are two of our most athletically capable players and they are post peak. If anything, players who rely on athletic ability (especially explosive) drop off sharper than any others.

Yeah theyíre close to it so it needs sorting - just donít think itís panic stations this summer.

July 12, 2018, 01:53:43 AM
Reply #20

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We should sell more than we buy I think, but if we donít sign :

A cm who can pass
A cb who is prem ready
A lb who is prem ready

At very least, we will struggle.

Some of you seem to have a lot of faith in our squad and new management, i will say that.

Struggle to do what though?

Agree we need lb and cb.

A cm who is good at transition from defence to attack (whatever way) would be nice too.

July 12, 2018, 01:02:01 PM
Reply #21

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think all three are vital firstly, I donít think I can watch a midfield MORE turgid than last year.

Let me just say that when im moaning and I know it is dramatic, Iím not saying like - oh god weíve blown it, weíre going down.

What I mean is as a fan I know it will be very hard to follow everton next year and take any measure of joy from watching us scrape inside the top 10 struggling to play style of football that I like to watch.

But a lot of the turgidness is how we approached the game I think.

We did, sparodically, score some ok goals (aesthetically) so with someone more willing to get more players, higher up the pitch, more often I think that will improve inherently.

July 12, 2018, 07:07:10 PM
Reply #22

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I'm going the Blackburn game.

Decided if no one is in by then I'm going to start flapping.

Especially when weíre 2-0 down with no shots on target after an hour ;)

July 13, 2018, 04:48:19 AM
Reply #23

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Joyce saying weíre after Mina and Lucas Digne.

July 17, 2018, 02:26:57 AM
Reply #24

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
We need to remember that weíre not signing 6-7 players come what may this window.

We know, and all the noises seem to agree, what are the most pressing areas so thereís no real need to panic there.

Is there, or should there be blind confidence that weíll sign 3 top class players this summer?

No. We know the score and have seen it too often to know things are rarely that simple.

I do have confidence that we will a) make decisions with the longer term in mind but also b) if push comes to shove Iím sure weíll cover the immediate need.

Not signing a good striker was bad enough last season but not signing one at all, even on loan was awful.

I doubt weíll see that sort of scenario again.

And re shifting players, the only ones that move early in the market are either people who are really wanted or desperate to get away.

Most of ours wonít fall into those groups but Iíd be surprised if most of the people we donít want arenít moved on, if only in the short term.

July 17, 2018, 02:36:30 AM
Reply #25

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Likes of klaasen, Williams and mirallas will leave on deadline day on loan probably.

If all else fails even if they leave post deadline day on an awful wage split then at least theyíre playing somewhere.

July 17, 2018, 04:29:21 AM
Reply #26

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Where does this confidence come from though?

I want it, I really do.

Iím not expecting loads coming in so Iím not too perturbed about there being 3 and a bit weeks left.

Brands seems to have a goal and therefore decisions, even if not great ones (as not all will be), will be made with that aim in mind.

From what weíve seen/ heard/ read his ideas and experience tie in with what seems most sensible for where we are as a club.

After the last two years where money was there and people came in too not much effect (bar a return to par post Roberto) then Iím prepared to look further down the line this season than the next three weeks.

July 17, 2018, 07:18:24 PM
Reply #27

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
It's still down to wages apparently; until we get the wage bill down by quite a bit we won't be bringing anyone in.

How true this is, I dunno.

We know that the squad is too big and needs reducing. Thereís no debate here.

There are some players on big money who contributed nothing last year at all.

That needs sorting either by moving them out or, if they stay, getting them to do something.

This isnít like some of the Moyes era summers where we had 9 fit senior players (start of 08/09, for example) or whatever so itís not surprising that there isnít loads of activity.

But Iíd assume that Tierney would have happened had they had a lower valuation, as we need another LB.

For every other position it is a question of quality, not numbers.

July 19, 2018, 03:50:15 AM
Reply #28

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Brands was there so be saw what we all did, so hopefully we should expect some movement asap

Iíd hope weíre not basing our transfer decisions on pre season games :)

July 21, 2018, 01:46:38 AM
Reply #29

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Richarlison, Mina and Digne could be on there way in very soon. Just missing a deep lying playmaker (or is that Sigurdsson) and we are ok.

Think if we get a cm theyíre likely to be one of the two in front of the DM.