July 22, 2018, 04:38:32 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 74317 times)

Martip, Cassius, swblue, Fynci and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

June 29, 2018, 04:06:33 AM
Reply #15

Gash

Global Moderator
Any replacement for Niasse is probably going to play second fiddle to Cenk, and if that is the case, then they will be very hard pressed to get more than 9 goals. Niasse's strike rate was incredibly good this past season.

Nah, any replacement would be brought in to put pressure on Tosun or even take his place rather than just make the odd cameo and chip in some goals. Strikers probably more than any other position need kept on their toes so I'd expect any player brought in to be a decent upgrade on Niasse.

June 29, 2018, 01:33:14 PM
Reply #16

Gash

Global Moderator
Genuine question, when was the last time we had two strikers scoring 10+ goals in a season?

We've never had the money in the past though have we. I'd guess there was possibly a time when a combo of Yakubu, Cahill, Fellaini or Beckford all got double figures in a season but I can't be bothered looking.

June 29, 2018, 07:21:38 PM
Reply #17

Gash

Global Moderator
I agree and thats why im worried about our transfer policy this season as we seem to be selling all of our first team players

Who all have we sold? Anyone that goes will go because the new DOF and manager don't see them in their plans and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

I also dont know what other teams sells their leading goalscorer 2 seasons on a trot and doesnt have a replacement in before!

We were never going to keep Lukaku and even as a fan of Rooney and was happy he came back I think it's pretty clear that he didn't have much left in him at this level and was going to be surplus to requirement so getting his 150k a week wages off the books is good business. You've also no idea whether we have anyone lined up but even if we don't, losing Rooney won't have a huge impact on things.

We've a new management team in who will want to assess the squad and no doubt have their own players in mind but will also be mindful that we shouldn't go through another messy summer like last year. There's also a world cup going on which usually slows a summer window down a bit and not many other clubs are making big moves at the moment. People need to stop stressing, we're going through another summer of change, only this time the signs are we're going to do it in a professional, methodical manner rather than just panic and throw money around. We need to clear out players before we can then "strengthen our squad" again people are just going have to accept that and be patient.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 07:23:05 PM by Gash »

June 29, 2018, 08:22:42 PM
Reply #18

Gash

Global Moderator
I appreciate its hypothetical as it cant really be judged until the window closes, but im starting to read more into his 'we need to sell to buy' comment

People always will try to read too much into it given our previous hand to mouth existence but Brands and Silva both explained the reasoning for it. We have far too big a squad so we need to clear out people who are not going to be involved before we can recruit other players to improve the squad. It's not because we have to financially but because it makes good business sense to have a smaller squad and also easier for the manager to manage the players. I really don't see how people are struggling to understand that, it makes perfect sense.

July 12, 2018, 07:05:24 PM
Reply #19

Gash

Global Moderator
Love a day out at Ewood.

July 13, 2018, 07:46:29 PM
Reply #20

Gash

Global Moderator
That's late this year, the first "muppet delegation" reference usually comes way before mid July.

July 13, 2018, 10:43:01 PM
Reply #21

Gash

Global Moderator
Be all eyes back to club footie once this weekend's out of the way.
Maybe a tad surprised we haven't moved a couple more players on by now.
Wonder how long it will be before people start to fume/panic about lack of movement playerwise

What do you mean before people start to panic? @brap2 and @Waltzer hit the panic button at about 9.30 on Monday May 14th. ;)