July 22, 2018, 06:05:21 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 74971 times)

Toffee1, toshyboy, Waltzer, stirlingblue and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

July 18, 2018, 06:10:51 PM
Reply #60

Bluedylan

Has anyone reputable mentioned Wellbeck or Januzaj?

I think the answer's 'no'.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 18, 2018, 06:32:59 PM
Reply #61

Bluedylan

If we're waiting for reputable sources before we gossip these transfer threads would be empty!

Fair point. Just trying to combat the general flappery with reason.

Shit player gets tenuously linked with us - reaction from many is 'we're signing him, we're shit, we're staying shit'.

Exciting player gets linked with us - reaction from many is 'he's joining Inter, we're shit, we're staying shit'.

July 18, 2018, 09:00:53 PM
Reply #62

Bluedylan

If I heard 'no deal imminent' from the trusted sources (Joyce, Hunter, Bascombe, King) I'd take that a bit more seriously. Much less so Phil Kirkbride. Have the Echo broke the story on any of the serious transfer links we've had this season? (I genuinely can't remember). I don't think they broke the stories about Tierney, Mina, Digne, Malcom did they?

July 18, 2018, 09:34:36 PM
Reply #63

Bluedylan

The no deals imminent quote has come from King.

In that case, I'm smashing the lot up.

July 19, 2018, 08:02:25 PM
Reply #64

Bluedylan

Wish people would ignore twitter, and ignore awful links from click-bait websites.

The manager's said last night that people will be signed and he expects that to start this week some time.

Why isn't that concrete information, direct from the horses mouth, enough for people? And why do they ignore it and prefer to believe clearly nonsensical links?

He's been working intensely with the players, and finding out about that. He might've changed his opinion on a few of them, both in terms of keeping some and letting others go.

July 20, 2018, 03:06:26 PM
Reply #65

Bluedylan

There’s been enough talk for me to think ok we maybe haven’t flown out the blocks but plenty of time left for this to be a successful window.

However, like I say, I’m not having it still that we shouldn’t be sweating on our lack of activity, we absolutely do need to make moves and I repeat that we should hold the club to some kind of standard.

They told us nothing was going to be the same, and then proceeded to sell stones, barkley, deulofeu, lukaku.

I get it, most of them had to go and that’s fine, but we need to start picking up CL level talent again, very soon.

I think your expectations are too high, for the situation we currently find ourselves in. We're rebuilding after a shitstorm with a different group of people, who deserve a chance to rectify things and 'nothing will be the same' needs putting on the backburner for a bit.

The motto for this season should be summat like 'cleaning up other people's shit'.

July 20, 2018, 07:29:38 PM
Reply #66

Bluedylan

May I just say on behalf of the flappers - we’ve done no name calling, simply hand-wringing, flopsweating and a fair amount of nail biting.

More insidious than name calling, because it has the effect of making others stress unnecessarily and just increases the general level of worry around the gaffe.

July 20, 2018, 07:46:38 PM
Reply #67

Bluedylan

Flopsweat - the silent killer

Is there no part of you thinking...'man, we need to lay off a bit as a fanbase generally, and just let the club settle down a bit'. We've had 17 managers in 3 years (or it feels like it), and the fans seem constantly on the edge of some meltdown or other, about managers, players whatever.

I just feel like this constant demand and expectation has derailed us a little bit. Our best times in the last couple of decades have come from stability and evolution, rather than revolution.

I'm quite happy to lay off the new guys for a season (as long as we're not 16th or summat), and just let them gradually build their plan and identity for the club. If that means we don't get all our targets in the first window, so be it.

I agree with Shogun that our current squad, unchanged, has every chance of finishing 7th, if managed properly. I still want signings, but I don't think it's meltdown time.

July 20, 2018, 08:19:29 PM
Reply #68

Bluedylan

Meltdown time, eh. Can’t keep away from that hyperbolic language can you.

I thought I’d covered my POV here to be honest :

The bar for success is as low as it ha ever been for a permenant everton manager, but there is still one.

Sound. No need for the attitude. I think I've been fairly sound with you, apologised the other day and have tried to give reasoned answers to your comments, rather than just having a pop.

Flap away, stresshead.

July 20, 2018, 08:22:36 PM
Reply #69

Bluedylan

I think a lot of any angst comes from a desire to be good long-term, not just finish 7th this season though.

Given their age and general quality, we've only got two players in Shogs' team I'd hope were starters two years from now.

That's 9 players - ignoring Pickford and Lookman getting serious interest from elsewhere - we'll have to replace. If we're expecting Holgate, Davies, DCL and other young players to be good enough to start long term, then maybe this summer isn't so important.

If not though, we're putting ourselves at risk of another summer where we have to bring in a lot of first team players. And as we've already seen, that often doesn't end well.

Agreed. No way should 7th be our ceiling. All I'm saying is that we've come from an awful 2/3 seasons, and we need to get back to minimum 7th every year, before we even think about those above us.

July 21, 2018, 02:52:17 AM
Reply #70

Bluedylan

I think Mina’s the one I’m most excited about.

Been hoping for some kind of otherworldly Goliath at centre half for a while.

July 21, 2018, 02:55:27 AM
Reply #71

Bluedylan

A nice target for Sigurdsson's set pieces too.

Get on the end of that, Colossus.

July 21, 2018, 02:59:42 AM
Reply #72

Bluedylan

Hes a bit of a nutcase apparently, we will absolutely love him here

I actually thought he defended well on the ground at the WC. Not just aerial devastation.

He’s the sort of powerhouse that ends up rocking up at Spurs and you think ‘why haven’t we had a go for him?’.

Hoping that one works out.

July 21, 2018, 10:07:13 PM
Reply #73

Bluedylan

Yeah he sounds like he got a bit ahead of himself. Maybe this experience has grounded him a bit though. Plus he’s a quality player on a free. Are we in a position to turn our noses up at that if we can get him

Aren't we doing more specific, targeted transfers these days, rather than just getting a random player in and worrying about what to do with him later?

1 hour ago
Reply #74

Bluedylan

Digne links seem to keep getting stronger, but I’m not sure why we’re after him if I’m honest.

He’s a great defensive fullback but he doesn’t offer that much going forward, and at 25 it’s not likely that will change. I thought that Silva liked attacking fullbacks?

Where you getting that from, about him not being good going forward?

Barcelona don't tend to sign defensive defenders.