September 25, 2018, 04:28:13 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 136526 times)

August 03, 2018, 06:27:41 PM
Reply #105

Bluedylan

You're talking at least 60-70m for Zaha. Excellent player, but too expensive for me, even if you threw Bolasie in as a sweetener.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 03, 2018, 06:39:58 PM
Reply #106

Bluedylan

30 mil plus Bolasie sounds sweeter, and would tempt Palace.

Fantasy land. 60m and Bolasie might not even be enough.

August 03, 2018, 07:27:10 PM
Reply #107

Bluedylan

I think the best thing about Zaha is that he's stepped up and basically taken the burden of carrying Palace on his shoulders. He's matured significantly since the early Palace/Man Utd days.

August 03, 2018, 07:57:38 PM
Reply #108

Bluedylan

I liked him before the injury. Hed do a lot of extremely daft shit. Have moments of being utterly useless. Over 90 minutes though hed create really good chances almost every game.

If theres a decent chance his fitness allows him to get back to that Id sooner have him in our squad then practically give him away. Obviously it depends on what we could get though.

I thought otherwise, but you make a persuasive argument for keeping him in the squad as an option to change the odd game and produce a few moments throughout the season.

August 03, 2018, 08:01:10 PM
Reply #109

Bluedylan

Would prefer Lookman off the bench.

Need four widemen for two positions. Lookman 3rd choice, Bolasie maybe 4th choice could be an option.

August 05, 2018, 03:30:55 AM
Reply #110

Bluedylan

At the start of the summer we were all saying '2 or 3 in', build slowly and don't expect too much from the window.

Naturally, once you've got 2 in, much wants more. We clearly need at least one CB, which I think we will 100% get, having let Williams go.

If we don't do anything else beyond that, I think that's understandable. We're trying to sign players for the long term, not the short term fix, which Richarlison and Digne fit in with. I'd rather us keep our powder dry than panic or splurge on someone who'd only do a job for a season or 18 months, and go back in for better long term targets in the coming transfer windows.

August 05, 2018, 04:17:28 AM
Reply #111

Bluedylan

For the record I was not saying this.

No I know. It genuinely wasn't directed at anyone. Just a general sense that people want more and more signings (me included), and I'm thinking we need to temper it a bit, and expect a slower growth of the team.

August 05, 2018, 04:44:47 AM
Reply #112

Bluedylan

Yeah I dont think anyone in their right mind should expect a 20 point swing and us to start challenging the top 6, but the outs have been quite drastic, and the purchases have been a good age and a good quality - but on the pitch we look really fucking bad, quality wise. If we are going to have any kind of season, or simply avoid another one of stress and embarrassment, if for nothing else to simply give silva a season with his head above water to start implementing what he wants - we need to bring in some quality ASAP.

See I just don't agree that we look really bad, so I suppose that's where we differ. The defence is obviously an issue, but I haven't had a massive issue with our midfield/attacking play, particularly in the Porto/Valencia games which have been our hardest tests.

August 05, 2018, 05:22:29 AM
Reply #113

Bluedylan

Think to deny how easy it has been for teams to create clear cut chances against us is a bit blind to be honest?

I’ve said before now that going forward, isn’t the final third we will be OK because we have enough attackers to make and score goals once we get up there...but in terms of control, build up and handling pressure - we look really poor imo.

Today was probably our best performance so far to be fair. We just need some quality in areas we’ve needed quality for 2-3 years minimum.

I have just said the defence is concerning, so I did acknowledge that.

Did you watch the first half v Porto as well? Dominated them.

I'm ignoring the Blackburn game, because they'd just done a double session and were all fucked. And no way is Jags letting that happen to him again.

Rennes was concerning.

Today I thought we were decent, and it was little individual errors from Baines and Sandro that cost the goals. Didn't recall many clear chances they created tbh. I know Stekelenburg didn't make any saves.

August 05, 2018, 05:54:35 AM
Reply #114

Bluedylan

Getting hard to tell the fappers from the ostriches now there’s only 4 days 17 hrs and 15 minutes to go (approximately).

A flapper and an ostrich have just had a perfectly civil conversation, without any rancour and ended up pretty much coming from the same place. Wonders never cease eh?

August 05, 2018, 11:30:48 PM
Reply #115

Bluedylan

It's been announced that we are the big NBC "spotlight dance" matchup (12:30 EST on Saturday), don't recall the last time we came good in one of those.  Be nice to go into that with at least Holgate and a solid new signing.

Run that one by me again, using vaguely recognisable football terminology?

August 06, 2018, 12:00:17 AM
Reply #116

Bluedylan

I think we'll sign at least 2. The money's clearly there, and they know the positions they need.

4 days is an absolute eternity at this stage. Spurs haven't signed a single player, and you know they'll be conducting some late business.

It's all brinksmanship at this stage, and weighing up different options. Waiting for players to decide in some cases, waiting for clubs to sign replacments.

Still hoping for a Lukaku-esque transfer at CB. Maybe Upamecano for 20m and Lookman, summat like that.

August 06, 2018, 01:40:52 AM
Reply #117

Bluedylan

Would seem almost a certainty but for previous windows. We’ve all sat there in recent times watching us be linked with a 50m winger and having no forward only for nowt to happen. Logic and Everton just don’t always go together do they

Different people at the helm. Let go of your hangups, until after deadline day.

August 06, 2018, 01:54:51 PM
Reply #118

Bluedylan

Some Barca accounts saying Andre Gomes coming in as well.

Isnt he out for 2 months with a hamstring injury?

August 08, 2018, 01:57:49 PM
Reply #119

Bluedylan

Mina signing, and Zouma on loan double-bubble would go down very nicely indeed.