September 25, 2018, 12:02:16 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 136424 times)

August 05, 2018, 05:44:57 PM
Reply #105

Lxxx

It's a no from me. I'd rather not have a CB pairing of Jags and Cahill having to play the high line that Silva likes. If he came in with a younger, faster CB then maybe

Calm down lad. He's not even rumoured to be coming to us.

August 06, 2018, 03:41:35 PM
Reply #106

Lxxx

A lot of players fail at Barca as their first team has for the past decade been dominated by fixtures in the side that you're rarely, if ever, going to displace for a prolonged period of time. Plenty of good players have tried and failed. No disgrace in that.

August 06, 2018, 10:31:24 PM
Reply #107

Lxxx

Echoes of last season again isn't it. We were all waiting for the inevitable striker and left back right up until 11pm on deadline day and even then most of us went to bed expecting something late arriving in the early hours to be waking up to.

I'm sure we're a lot better organised this year and I believe in the new set up but maybe there just isn't the quality out there at this late stage?

August 07, 2018, 05:51:27 PM
Reply #108

Lxxx

Top 6 clubs will start to be very cautious in what players they sell to us now, we are starting to resemble a real threat

We're not. Nothing has changed yet. We're not a threat to the top 6 as things stand.

August 07, 2018, 06:34:09 PM
Reply #109

Lxxx

Then we are still missing the absolute star of a KDB, Hazard, Pogba, Salah etc etc/ if we truely want to compete we’ve got to find ourselves a worldbeater

We might have found ourselves one with this season's signings. Buying players like Richarlison/Bernard at least brings hope that they blow our expectations out the water. Players like Walcott, Sig etc... are just incremental progress by virtue of being a little better than we had. Having genuine talent at a good age again opens up the path we had for Stones/Barkley/Del/Lukaku to potentially be our superstar.

August 08, 2018, 01:11:02 AM
Reply #110

Lxxx

We could probably muddle by with what we have going forwards now if Bernard signs. Wouldn't be spending too much time on that when there are more pressing areas. 

August 08, 2018, 02:26:20 PM
Reply #111

Lxxx

Reckon Zouma would be excellent. Lost his way last year at Stoke, as you would, but before his injury looked like he was going to be top drawer.
The only slight concern is if he never gets the impressive athleticism back post a pretty serious injury but a loan is a no brainer.

August 08, 2018, 07:50:42 PM
Reply #112

Lxxx

We really do need one of these signings to become a proper superstar though, like Spurs had with Eriksson and Ali, and Liverpool had with Salah. Without that special player to elevate you, it becomes very difficult. The closest we have had is Lukaku, but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Salah in terms of his performances.

Lukaku was and is a 20+ goal a season striker. That’s top drawer for most teams let alone us. The issue was always that he was out on his own and we didn’t craft a side to build on his goals.

We had four potential special players at one time; Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and arguably Del. For various reasons we now have none but if we keep buying players with potential upside like Richarlison and Bernard we’ll at least have a stab at getting there again.

August 08, 2018, 08:00:33 PM
Reply #113

Lxxx

Wolves in for Dendonker now, too.

Loads of hype around that kid but is he actually any good?