July 17, 2018, 09:29:29 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 63461 times)

southern_blue, Muttley and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

June 27, 2018, 08:31:16 PM
Reply #30

Lxxx

In today's market I reckon £15m for Niasse wouldn't be too far off. That's a decent amount to be put towards a pacey forward who would complement how Silva wants to play. As much as I think he's a useful member of the squad we really need to have players who will grow and improve as squad players if they're not of a standard to start a game.

June 28, 2018, 07:02:45 PM
Reply #31

Lxxx

I won't go through a long list of names, and I do take the point that you have to keep people happy, but I'm not saying we should sign a 3rd choice striker who is happy with 10-15 games, like Niasse.

I think we should sign another 1st choice/compete with Tosun level striker, and then DCL becomes your third choice striker. You need options.

It's a conundrum as in an ideal world we would sign another first team ready striker and be in enough competitions to need four strikers.

I take the point Niasse isn't at the level we need but if we're looking for fresh options off the bench to get you a goal then although you'd like to see DCL progress and improve Niasse would be your go to man. In the derby we needed fresh legs up top but if Niasse gets the chance DCL had it hits the back of the net, somehow, and we win the game. Which then leads us onto a more general point of do we take the long term view and invest the time and effort in DCL in the hope he becomes more clinical, notwithstanding the fact he might miss a few chances and cost us points along the way.

It's strange as Niasse is completely unorthodox, is unlikely to improve and half the time he looks like a Sunday league throwback but he's effective. He really shouldn't be succeeding at this level but he does. Maybe because he does things completely off the cuff so no-one is sure what/where he'll pop up next.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:04:35 PM by Lxxx »

June 29, 2018, 08:27:39 PM
Reply #32

Lxxx

Lots of unnecessary flapping going on.

June 29, 2018, 10:30:22 PM
Reply #33

Lxxx

ive just read that Tosun had a better shot conversion rate than harry kane last season, give him more chances next season and he'll get decent figures next season. Capable of getting 15+

We donít really have creative players who are capable of feeding him though. Sig is more of a finisher of moves, Walcott similarly. Lookman looks like a talented individual player.
Iím hoping a new system and way of playing might bring it all together better, in the absence of buying in any creativity.

July 06, 2018, 11:32:35 PM
Reply #34

Lxxx

Haven't really kept abreast of much of our gossip over this summer as yet, apart from the tedious Tierney link. Is that because that is about the sum of it or are there any other bits of gossip floating about?

July 09, 2018, 08:12:26 PM
Reply #35

Lxxx

I hope Steve 'I'll spend money like it was my own' Walsh didn't get a full payout for overseeing this horrendous past few years.

July 09, 2018, 09:35:10 PM
Reply #36

Lxxx

There's a career in steady decline.

Yarmolenko or West Ham?

July 10, 2018, 06:12:49 PM
Reply #37

Lxxx

I think Walcott will adapt his game and still prove decent for another 2-3 seasons. He looks to have good game intelligence from his years at Arsenal so he'll always be a goal threat and get you double figures a season in a team which tries to create chances.

Bolasie has never delivered decent goals and assist stats throughout his entire career even at his peak, so if his game drops off a cliff it won't be as noticeable as he never did anything of any real note anyway. 

July 10, 2018, 11:47:01 PM
Reply #38

Lxxx

Fulham signing that Seri lad from Nice, massive that.

The type of signing we should have been making the past few years. I think we've wasted so much money we're effectively back to square one again until we get the squad and finances on an even keel. Koeman and Walsh really were the pairing from hell .

July 11, 2018, 06:59:41 PM
Reply #39

Lxxx

I would think we're probably in the market for about three players this summer, with a dozen or so on the way out. As someone mentioned you can wrap up three in a day if necessary.

With the mess Brands and Silva have inherited I don't expect much action at all to be honest so I'm not surprised we've been inactive on the recruitment front. It's not ideal but it's the mess Walsh and Koeman have left.

July 12, 2018, 09:49:11 PM
Reply #40

Lxxx

They'll improve, but not as much as their fans think they will. Still a lot of average footballers in their squad.

I don't know how you can be so sure about it. All they have to do is improve slightly and they're in the mix for 7th, which is about what their fans could hope for.

July 13, 2018, 03:31:01 PM
Reply #41

Lxxx

Maybe they thought they could get Digne a fair bit cheaper (with a better pedigree so far), and that's why we've walked away from Tierney, for now.

Brands might actually be doing his job rather diligently, and we're all flapping about nothing.

Better pedigree usually comes with more competition though. Hopefully we have a compelling vision to sell now rather than 'we'll just pay you more than the other lot.'

July 14, 2018, 07:45:24 PM
Reply #42

Lxxx

There's been nothing from the club regarding transfers for some time, and minimal stuff from the knowledgeable journalists, so people naturally fill that information vacuum with their own neuroses and speculation. And all of that is essentially made up in our own heads.

Stuff like 'they need to get one in by the end of the week'. Do they? Why? Because it might make us feel a bit better. But perhaps they don't judge it that way. Perhaps they judge it that they'll get signings in when they are ready to, and when the deal(s) are right. They're clearly in negotiations with different clubs, from Joyce's info.

Just to be clear, I'm not having a pop at anyone for getting a bit restless. We all have those feelings, myself included. But we should just recognise that the restlessness really doesn't mean anything, and we have absolutely no idea what's going on behind the scenes.

True. You can wrap up a number of signings in a day if you want. Most negotiations have already taken place and been agreed upon before it hits the press anyway.

Weíre only going to be signing a few this season it seems, it wonít be massively disruptive to not have them in during pre season.

8 hours ago
Reply #43

Lxxx

I’m as much concerned about the lack of shipping players out and reliving the wage bill as I am about the lack of signings, so far we have shipped out Rooney and Mori, anyone else gone out on loan that we are not covering the wages for ? It’s almost as if we are back to the sell to buy days !

It's almost as if no-one wants our overpaid players.

8 hours ago
Reply #44

Lxxx

Or they do and know we need to get rid so will wait until deadline day to get a more favourable deal.

That fact itself, if it turns out to be accurate as time goes on, tells it's own story. Clubs aren't that arsed at losing out on a Klaassan or a Williams or a Sandro but if they're still available in 3 weeks then they'll throw in a derisory offer knowing there's a high likelihood we won't drive a hard bargain at such a late stage.