November 17, 2018, 12:29:27 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 144676 times)

May 21, 2018, 07:46:16 PM
Read 144676 times

AllyBlue14

In the portugese wc squad

I'm surprised Portugal don't have Figo, Pauleta and Vitor Baía - they seem to keep picking players until they're about 50!

May 24, 2018, 05:01:35 PM
Reply #1

AllyBlue14

It's amazing that people want us to push on to challenge the top 6 and then in the same breath say Rondon would a) be a good addition and b) be decent value at £16.5 million!

May 25, 2018, 06:45:17 AM
Reply #2

AllyBlue14

I remember saying last year when Lukaku left that we had two options for replacing his goals - find a like-for-like replacement, an out-and-out striker. The problem here is that it'd be very hard to attract someone at Lukaku's level and if they don't score, then our main source of goals has dried up.

Alternatively, we pack our front line with pace, a sum-of-the-parts kind of job. Dare I say like the RS or many of the other top teams. 3 players who will chase down everything and not give the defence a moment's rest all game. Spread the work between them, share the goals, so if one is in bad form/injured, the blow is lessened.

That's the kind of approach we need. Even finishing 7th last season, we were still very one dimensional. It doesn't even really have to equate to overly attacking football - we can still organise the defence, we would just have a lot more mobility and fluidity up front.

May 25, 2018, 11:02:47 PM
Reply #3

AllyBlue14

Pacey with an eye for goal, that's what we need. Walcott's a good start and could play through the middle as the 'main' goal-getter. Lookman could be an option on the flank - whether or not he'd score the volume of goals we'd need I'm not sure, but he'd definitely be worth a go. So we need another one or two for options.

Salah, Mane and Firmino weren't particularly heralded as top drawer transfers but they're playing in a system that allows them to express themselves. Unfortunately for the next season or two, we're going to be playing catch-up. But it'd be nice to develop a playing identity and know that going into the next transfer window, we're buying players to improve/reinforce our system, instead of the ludicrous scattergun approach we saw last summer.

July 10, 2018, 03:22:18 PM
Reply #4

AllyBlue14

Nah, you're flapping mate. In the end we finished pretty comfortably in 8th, with pretty much everyone playing well below the standard we know they're capable of. With a decent, progressive thinking manager and coaching team in place I'm confident of seeing a marked improvement from pretty much everyone.

The way you go on you'd think we were one of the worst teams in the league.

We've been playing below that standard for 4 seasons now, though. Koeman's full season was the closest we came to any sort of form in that period, but even then Lukaku's goals papered over a lot of cracks.

I agree there's some improvement to be gained and a different style should help lighten the mood. But at what stage do we point the finger at the ageing, bloated, stagnant squad rather than the succession of managers trying to get a tune out of them?

July 18, 2018, 01:18:53 AM
Reply #5

AllyBlue14

I'll start to flap a bit if we're still in this position 4 or 5 days before the window shuts. Or if all our supposed targets move elsewhere.

At the same time, though, it'd be criminal not to improve the squad. Blows my mind that people think we'd be ok going into the season with the current squad (minus some of the dead wood) and the kids.

July 18, 2018, 01:20:50 AM
Reply #6

AllyBlue14

So you leave out Holgate? Keane? Jags?

Keane looked quality 2 years back and his early time with us he was outstanding. Its in him, he just needs proper coaching.
I don't see any sense in signing ANOTHER CB unless we are selling keane or Holgate

We conceded an average of at least 2 goals a game during his early time with us.

July 18, 2018, 01:29:30 AM
Reply #7

AllyBlue14

I totally agree with you, we defo need 3 quality additions, however the current squad we have, and with silva and brands I can see us comfortably getting to 7th even without adding to the squad, think people forget we finished 8th and we were fucking woeful- what does that say about the quality of the teams below us? West ham have made some additions but theyre still trying to catch up to us. We should be pissing 7th in all honesty.

We were very lucky last season, there's only so long you can rely on that. We can count on one hand the times we outplayed a team. If they improve and we carry on with an already stagnating squad, we'll only go backwards. As I said, not worried just yet, but we do need to back up the new manager with some fresh blood.

I'm as supportive of Marco as anyone, but I do feel we're overstating his qualities a bit, without any real foundation. He did ok at Hull and Watford (initially, and largely down to Richarlison) but why is he suddenly going to turn an ageing, uninspiring squad into world-beaters? As for Brands, again, glad he's here but can't see what effect he's going to have on the pitch if we don't bring in new players.

July 19, 2018, 06:26:41 PM
Reply #8

AllyBlue14

Haha brap, you've gone into full-on meltdown!

July 19, 2018, 08:05:24 PM
Reply #9

AllyBlue14

I'm just glad we seem to be going about things the right way after a couple of years of the scattergun approach.

The squad is poor, so it'll definitely be a concern if we don't see much happening in a couple of weeks. But they've said we're after players and we have a vague idea of the areas targeted, from some of the more reputable links we've read.

There's no way a new manager and DoF come in, have a whole summer in the job and go into the new season with the same squad that finished the previous season (if not worse, or at least fewer options, after the departures).

July 20, 2018, 11:34:25 AM
Reply #10

AllyBlue14

Don't forget, it wasn't long ago Moshiri was saying 'money is no object'. I may have missed it, but to my knowledge there has been no word to the contrary. I like to think Brands may have suggested he pipe down and stop flagging up to all and sundry that they can take us to the cleaners.

Rather than getting rid of players because we're desperate for the money, perhaps they're just keen to run the club more responsibly.

August 03, 2018, 05:31:47 AM
Reply #11

AllyBlue14

Swoop for Zaha and give them Bolasie back. 2 birds innit?

August 07, 2018, 01:48:03 AM
Reply #12

AllyBlue14

Have to say, the Mangala shouts are horrendous. You can't say Keane is crap in one breath and suggest we go for Mangala in the next.

We were lucky injury ruled him out when it did, because he looked terrible in the 2 hours he did manage for us.

August 07, 2018, 05:42:41 PM
Reply #13

AllyBlue14

United willing to sell Mata to Inter and Tottenham willing to sell Wanyama to Roma, apparently.

Think both would do well here but whether or not they'd be 'willing' to sell to us is a different matter.