July 23, 2018, 04:41:28 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 76286 times)

van der Meyde, Normm, Hesmenos, Bigstickytoffee, djws1788 and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

July 17, 2018, 03:50:44 PM
Reply #45

Lxxx

I think some of the nervousness is coming from the lack of any movement, in or out. If we were offloading a player a week over the summer I think we'd be a lot calmer as you know we'd be nearer our goal of wage reduction, which will lead to freeing up space for incomings. I'm sure we're working overtime at the minute but our new found media discretion, which is a good thing in my view, leads to fears we're not up to much.
I think the acid test will come in a fortnight if we've not managed to shift any more of our highly paid shite and the prospect of starting the new season with last seasons team gets closer to reality.

July 17, 2018, 07:23:34 PM
Reply #46

Lxxx

As someone mentioned the other day, the fact we're paying Sandro £120k/week wouldn't be such a problem if he banged in a dozen goals last season and looked like he was increasing in value rapidly. Same with Klaassan. Six figures a week is the going rate for players that influence games of football. The fact we have so many at the top end of our wage bill contributing very little is the main issue.

July 18, 2018, 01:54:57 AM
Reply #47

Lxxx

Last few years have done a number on some of yous imo.

Oh donít buy anyone buying players is bad news because then the mighty HMS Keane canít play.

another year trailing further behind the top 6 with those below catching up or arguably pulling further ahead. Sound good?

Iím not saying we need to spend £200m again, because thatís not feasible for us. But we should be making some solid signings the right side of 25 with an upside and in the positions we need them.

Hold the club to some kind of standard please. We have every right in the world to expect that at least.

Whilst I agree with most of your post we're not even starting on an even keel. We have to make significant cuts to even entertain the type of signings that we'd class as decent. I'm sure we will sign a few players as Brands and the board will have got the message that last seasons debacle wasn't good enough, but we have to be realistic, we fucked up financially big time the past two years and we have to correct that first before we start to move forwards.

July 18, 2018, 06:30:28 PM
Reply #48

Lxxx

Has anyone reputable mentioned Wellbeck or Januzaj?

I think the answer's 'no'.

If we're waiting for reputable sources before we gossip these transfer threads would be empty!

July 20, 2018, 06:57:01 PM
Reply #49

Lxxx

Vinny O'Connor will be dreading getting battered with a dozen 10 inchers if we don't see much action soon.

July 20, 2018, 07:49:45 PM
Reply #50

Lxxx

You can make whatever arguments you want about renewed motivation, new way of playing, fresh start, one further forward than the other etc etc... but whenever I see a midfield axis of Schneiderlin and Gana for next season it makes me wince. That experiment should be consigned to the history books if we want to start being a team where the opposition don't walk through the middle of the pitch at will.

July 20, 2018, 08:59:25 PM
Reply #51

Lxxx

Back end of last season I was of the opinion any new manager with a decent bit about him would get this squad to 7th without any additions at all. Now I think that was a bit optimistic of me. Our midfield is miles away from being competitive and any combination of that back four again makes me cringe.
I'm sure we will add to the squad and 3 or 4 quality additions will get us back on track again but as things stand at the minute we only have the same players that laboured through last season, so we can only make a judgement on current facts.

July 20, 2018, 09:45:11 PM
Reply #52

Lxxx

Never seen Digne play. Know nothing about him. I'll defer to the Football Manager lot on here for views on whether he's decent or not.

July 20, 2018, 09:58:03 PM
Reply #53

Lxxx

Only seen him play a few times myselfbut he's an actual left back who isn't Martina.

An actual left back hey. If I really rack my brains I think I can remember what an actual left midfielder looks like too, imagine if we signed one of them as well in the same window.

July 20, 2018, 10:53:19 PM
Reply #54

Lxxx

The way i look at it is there is literally nothing i can do to control or influence Evertons transfer activity. So i am happy to let it exist without a care.

Obviously id prefer us to be doing the business, but i cant control it so whatever.

Just burn some incense and do some yoga hey. What will be will be.

July 21, 2018, 10:14:06 PM
Reply #55

Lxxx

Yeah he sounds like he got a bit ahead of himself. Maybe this experience has grounded him a bit though. Plus heís a quality player on a free. Are we in a position to turn our noses up at that if we can get him

Wow.