December 11, 2018, 07:21:42 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 146942 times)

May 24, 2018, 10:56:40 PM
Reply #210

Bluedylan

Llorente? (Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate)

Nah, it's alright. It's a fair point and one I thought of when I was suggesting it. The difference being that he was just brought in as a backup, after they'd built a full squad of exciting young players. We need to create the core squad still, and I don't think Rondon or players of that ilk should be part of it.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 24, 2018, 11:56:48 PM
Reply #211

Lxxx

Llorente? (Sorry, just playing Devil's Advocate)

I think the fact he's hardly played and even when Kane was injured they've opted for Son means he's probably struggled with the demands expected of a Spurs player. Which is a credit to Spurs.

May 25, 2018, 06:45:17 AM
Reply #212

AllyBlue14

I remember saying last year when Lukaku left that we had two options for replacing his goals - find a like-for-like replacement, an out-and-out striker. The problem here is that it'd be very hard to attract someone at Lukaku's level and if they don't score, then our main source of goals has dried up.

Alternatively, we pack our front line with pace, a sum-of-the-parts kind of job. Dare I say like the RS or many of the other top teams. 3 players who will chase down everything and not give the defence a moment's rest all game. Spread the work between them, share the goals, so if one is in bad form/injured, the blow is lessened.

That's the kind of approach we need. Even finishing 7th last season, we were still very one dimensional. It doesn't even really have to equate to overly attacking football - we can still organise the defence, we would just have a lot more mobility and fluidity up front.

May 25, 2018, 08:55:07 PM
Reply #213

dunkster

Walcott is potentially that but we need a left sided threat as well. Bolasie just won't cut it.
A bold signature move for someone like lozano or rashford would be good.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 25, 2018, 11:02:47 PM
Reply #214

AllyBlue14

Pacey with an eye for goal, that's what we need. Walcott's a good start and could play through the middle as the 'main' goal-getter. Lookman could be an option on the flank - whether or not he'd score the volume of goals we'd need I'm not sure, but he'd definitely be worth a go. So we need another one or two for options.

Salah, Mane and Firmino weren't particularly heralded as top drawer transfers but they're playing in a system that allows them to express themselves. Unfortunately for the next season or two, we're going to be playing catch-up. But it'd be nice to develop a playing identity and know that going into the next transfer window, we're buying players to improve/reinforce our system, instead of the ludicrous scattergun approach we saw last summer.

May 26, 2018, 12:27:33 AM
Reply #215

dunkster

Expressing yourself is exactly what it's about in the final third.
Allardyce and koeman tactics seemed not to give a platform with that. The speed at which we played the game, the need for players to require 2 to 3 touches before passing, lack of movement from players, sideways, backwards..everything your opposition hopes for when they have to defend.
I hope to god the next guy targets that. I want to see snappy, one-twos around the box. If you only have one target man up front you have to have the guile to unlock defences
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 26, 2018, 12:55:54 AM
Reply #216

Juanito

Walcott is potentially that but we need a left sided threat as well. Bolasie just won't cut it.
A bold signature move for someone like lozano or rashford would be good.

Lozano on one side and Lookman on the other.

May 26, 2018, 02:51:05 AM
Reply #217

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Lozano on one side and Lookman on the other.

And a nippy little playmaking forward in the middle whos comfortable dropping deep, pressing high or running channels.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 26, 2018, 04:24:33 AM
Reply #218

Lxxx

And a nippy little playmaking forward in the middle whos comfortable dropping deep, pressing high or running channels.

Walcott? Minus the playmaking.

May 26, 2018, 06:19:34 AM
Reply #219

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Walcott? Minus the playmaking.

Yep no chance, hes an out ball not a ball player.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 27, 2018, 03:15:19 PM
Reply #220

dunkster

Who needs a new manager..us guys could sort this out.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

May 27, 2018, 03:16:18 PM
Reply #221

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I wish we could get Mata. Even aging he would be perfect

May 27, 2018, 03:39:17 PM
Reply #222

Ramjam

I wish we could get Mata. Even aging he would be perfect
He would certainly stabilise the midfield and add a level of steel and composure to the squad.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 27, 2018, 04:18:19 PM
Reply #223

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Playmaker? Whats wrong with Sigurdsson?

Pace? Walcott on the right, Lookman on the left? With a fast, goal scoring PROPER class striker through the middle is what we need. Add a midfield general and invest in our ageing centre back situation too. Sorting a decent pacey attack keeps opposition teams from venturing forward and risking supported attacks, so it would help with our defence. I really think we need to push the boat out and sign a Lukaku type again and have a manager with the balls to play with 2 hard working wingers.

May 27, 2018, 04:34:08 PM
Reply #224

KoemansNumberTens

Playmaker? Whats wrong with Sigurdsson?

Pace? Walcott on the right, Lookman on the left? With a fast, goal scoring PROPER class striker through the middle is what we need. Add a midfield general and invest in our ageing centre back situation too. Sorting a decent pacey attack keeps opposition teams from venturing forward and risking supported attacks, so it would help with our defence. I really think we need to push the boat out and sign a Lukaku type again and have a manager with the balls to play with 2 hard working wingers.

Sigurdsson really isnt a playmaker. We need someone who goes past players and with better creativity. Hes a good player. Should be in the team but hes not a playmaker