December 11, 2018, 11:38:36 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 147003 times)

August 05, 2018, 01:59:36 AM
Reply #210

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Some fella. Mid 20s.athletic. Mediterranean looking. Someone we've been linked with apparently. Who is this?

Iím afraid that was actually Brap2 on his way the Medlock.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 05, 2018, 03:46:56 AM
Reply #211

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
At the start of the summer we were all saying '2 or 3 in', build slowly and don't expect too much from the window.

Naturally, once you've got 2 in, much wants more. We clearly need at least one CB, which I think we will 100% get, having let Williams go.

If we don't do anything else beyond that, I think that's understandable. We're trying to sign players for the long term, not the short term fix, which Richarlison and Digne fit in with. I'd rather us keep our powder dry than panic or splurge on someone who'd only do a job for a season or 18 months, and go back in for better long term targets in the coming transfer windows.

For the record I was not saying this.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 05, 2018, 04:38:52 AM
Reply #212

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
No I know. It genuinely wasn't directed at anyone. Just a general sense that people want more and more signings (me included), and I'm thinking we need to temper it a bit, and expect a slower growth of the team.

Yeah I don’t think anyone in their right mind should expect a 20 point swing and us to start challenging the top 6, but the outs have been quite drastic, and the purchases have been a good age and a good quality - but on the pitch we look really fucking bad, quality wise. If we are going to have any kind of season, or simply avoid another one of stress and embarrassment, if for nothing else to simply give silva a season with his head above water to start implementing what he wants - we need to bring in some quality ASAP.

August 05, 2018, 05:15:33 AM
Reply #213

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
See I just don't agree that we look really bad, so I suppose that's where we differ. The defence is obviously an issue, but I haven't had a massive issue with our midfield/attacking play, particularly in the Porto/Valencia games which have been our hardest tests.

Think to deny how easy it has been for teams to create clear cut chances against us is a bit blind to be honest?

Iíve said before now that going forward, isnít the final third we will be OK because we have enough attackers to make and score goals once we get up there...but in terms of control, build up and handling pressure - we look really poor imo.

Today was probably our best performance so far to be fair. We just need some quality in areas weíve needed quality for 2-3 years minimum.

August 05, 2018, 05:44:49 AM
Reply #214

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I have just said the defence is concerning, so I did acknowledge that.

Did you watch the first half v Porto as well? Dominated them.

I'm ignoring the Blackburn game, because they'd just done a double session and were all fucked. And no way is Jags letting that happen to him again.

Rennes was concerning.

Today I thought we were decent, and it was little individual errors from Baines and Sandro that cost the goals. Didn't recall many clear chances they created tbh. I know Stekelenburg didn't make any saves.

Fair enough.

Imo it sounds like Marco is leaning more towards my view atm so hopefully he will being a couple of the right men in, and we can just have a season of getting our heads above water and re-establishing ourselves as a side with less variance in position as most of the rest.

August 05, 2018, 04:16:39 PM
Reply #215

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
No doubt probably a load of bullshit but here it goes.

https://twitter.com/scoobsfor/status/1026019222969831429?s=19

Never heard of him, desperate for this to be true.

August 06, 2018, 01:20:16 AM
Reply #216

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I was 1000% sure we were going to replace Lukaku so I donít want to say Iím that confident like, but I do feel a CB, a CM and a forward will be coming in. Maybe different levels, maybe different stages of their development, maybe different fees - but I do feel very strongly they know what they need and need is not an understatement.

August 06, 2018, 04:47:43 AM
Reply #217

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
More naturally creative than anyone we have and closest to the Lanzini type we havenít got.

But feels a bit like whatís available rather than what we wanted?

August 06, 2018, 05:03:53 AM
Reply #218

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah think I could get on board with this.

August 06, 2018, 01:31:35 PM
Reply #219

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Some Barca accounts saying Andre Gomes coming in as well.

August 06, 2018, 01:46:22 PM
Reply #220

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Hope so, just so we keep up best looking team in the league.

Heís a handsome man I must agree, just had a little read up on him though and apparently is a total hype job who hasnít translated to Barca at all.

Gulp. Think Iíd prefer Joao Mario.

August 06, 2018, 02:12:07 PM
Reply #221

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Isnít he out for 2 months with a hamstring injury?

Yea just seen this as well! Canít be anything in this one if thatís the the case.

August 06, 2018, 02:54:23 PM
Reply #222

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That'd be amazing.  He was quality before he went to Barca.

He gets used by @mixedknuts etc in the footy analytics world quite a lot as an example of the kind of big money hype job that you can avoid by looking deeper into his stats..

August 06, 2018, 08:04:20 PM
Reply #223

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If I hadnít seen the analytics stuff about Gomes Iíd have been well on board. Looks a nothing player in the numbers.

August 06, 2018, 08:19:22 PM
Reply #224

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Told ya.