October 14, 2019, 10:37:23 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 175920 times)

July 27, 2018, 06:29:51 PM
Reply #15

van der Meyde

Im not arguing with the facts that they want t get our house in order and get the squad size smaller, it makes sense if thats how they want to operate, but in terms of priorities I would have thought it makes sense to worry about whats important and for me thats making sure we are in the best position for the upcoming season.

Our squad is pretty weak and removing excess players isnt going to help those deficiencies, if we dont have an acceptable offer for any other players does than mean we wont go and buy a new left back or centre back? I certainly hope not, as it would be appalling mismanagement, so why have we not given ourselves the best opportunity of success by getting players in early and allowing them to bed in rather than worrying about getting players out?

Even Silva has admitted its not great that he hasn't got players in for pre season etc so im really reiterating his words
I don't think, given the way we're actively trying to sign Mina/Digne, that it's correct to say we're not focusing on bringing in players.

We all agree that it's better to bring in players early. Liverpool, City, United etc have the advantage that they are up there as the first choice for their transfer targets who aren't holding out for better offers.

We're not necessarily the first choice option for Mina or Digne, who might think they could get a decent move to France/Italy instead. Is it right option to hold out or focus on these players? That's another argument, but over a period of a 5 year contract, it's probably wiser to take the hit on this season, rather than take the hit on the next 5 seasons because you're signed a player who's not as good.

July 27, 2018, 08:08:06 PM
Reply #16

van der Meyde

I suppose, but like I donít think silva is ever really considering Williams, Connolly, Pennington, Kenny, Beni to be serious members of his first team squad.
He's basically said exactly that.

And also that he'd rather a few of these players stayed and learned from him, rather than going out on loan.

August 01, 2018, 03:39:39 AM
Reply #17

van der Meyde

Only way I see Sigurdsson working here is pushed up almost as a second striker, without the main creative responsibility.

He's got the energy to press from the front, he's decent at linking play up and he's a decent striker of the ball. Not sure he's even close to being a playmaker/decent central midfielder personally.

August 02, 2018, 11:14:46 PM
Reply #18

van der Meyde

Doucoure has just signed a new deal so that ones gone.
GET IN.

August 08, 2018, 08:20:28 PM
Reply #19

van der Meyde

Fulham and Liverpool are the only ones i think look considerably better after the business so far.
Fulham coming from championship level means they had a long way to go, so i am not concerned about them - think they'll stay up though.

Wolves aren't any more dangerous than they were the day the got promoted to be honest. Bulked out a bit and look like they could trouble the top half.

Most others just seem to have plugged a few holes/replaced players
Potentially Brighton for me, too.