December 19, 2018, 08:30:06 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 147738 times)

May 29, 2018, 04:38:21 PM
Reply #255

Lxxx

I've got Bale's nephew on hand. He's only 6 though so I don't know if he's got much sway

If he's left footed can he play left back?

May 29, 2018, 05:51:17 PM
Reply #256

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Unsworth talking about how we identify youth talents in the echo.

Absolutely nothing about stats, data or identifying profiles. Not that I would expect him to go into that or even be into it, but it really, really should be a massive part of our process now....just look at Liverpool.

Overnight they’ve just sorted themselves a CL level midfield. What are we doing? Watching YouTube clips maybe...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:52:46 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 29, 2018, 05:54:04 PM
Reply #257

Bluedylan

Absolutely nothing about stats, data or identifying profiles. Not that I would expect him to go into that or even be into it, but it really, really should be a massive part of our process now....just look at Liverpool.

Overnight theyíve just sorted themselves a CL level midfield. What are we doing? Watching YouTube clips maybe...

Appointing a new DoF to put an entirely new structure into place that will take time to manifest?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 29, 2018, 06:00:41 PM
Reply #258

KoemansNumberTens

Bale for £200m, anyone?

Heís a fantastic player but 200m is ridiculous given his age and the fact real actually want to sell. Be surprised if they are offered half that

May 29, 2018, 06:08:59 PM
Reply #259

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Appointing a new DoF to put an entirely new structure into place that will take time to manifest?

Yeah 100% my hope - my arse is just going here itís not even June and Iíve completely flapped it
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 29, 2018, 06:11:08 PM
Reply #260

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah 100% my hope - my arse is just going here itís not even June and Iíve completely flapped it

Chill mate. You'll live longer
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 29, 2018, 06:12:10 PM
Reply #261

Bluedylan

They won't win the league anytime soon. 25 points behind City, and City will get better. Ok, they will probably challenge for cups, but even then, Saturday was a massive, massive chance for that club. They might not make it back to a CL final for 15 years. They were lucky to get a good draw (City aside) in a year that was generally weak for the elite clubs.

They've missed the boat massively. 

May 29, 2018, 06:17:34 PM
Reply #262

Macca77

They won't win the league anytime soon. 25 points behind City, and City will get better. Ok, they will probably challenge for cups, but even then, Saturday was a massive, massive chance for that club. They might not make it back to a CL final for 15 years. They were lucky to get a good draw (City aside) in a year that was generally weak for the elite clubs.

They've missed the boat massively. 

I love you

May 29, 2018, 06:27:27 PM
Reply #263

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I love you

Heís been doing my mental state the world of good for about 3 months.

Stepped up a gear this year BD. An eye on Glewis / Rhys poster of the year spot imo

May 29, 2018, 06:40:43 PM
Reply #264

Bluedylan

Heís been doing my mental state the world of good for about 3 months.

Stepped up a gear this year BD. An eye on Glewis / Rhys poster of the year spot imo

Mate I'm relentlessly positive where Everton are concerned, probably to a fault sometimes where I overlook bad stuff, and overhype good stuff, and I'm often wrong.

I just think 'what's the alternative?'. I've spent too long feeling miserable about Everton and expecting the worst, and it hasn't really brought me anything other than angst and misery. I do think the 'Everton that' mentality runs through the club from top to bottom, and I do think it hurts us as a club. I think we lose big games and collapse in pressure situations because of it. Kinda tied into what Liz was saying the other day, I suppose.

May 29, 2018, 06:58:42 PM
Reply #265

van der Meyde

Overnight theyíve just sorted themselves a CL level midfield. What are we doing? Watching YouTube clips maybe...
How exactly do you expect Unsworth and his team to do that though?

You can't really do that with players who've barely played a first team game, can you.

May 29, 2018, 08:05:33 PM
Reply #266

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
How exactly do you expect Unsworth and his team to do that though?

You can't really do that with players who've barely played a first team game, can you.

Youíre right. Iím sure that sort of data does exist for youth leagues but no idea how representative it would even be.

Like I say, just flapping.

May 29, 2018, 08:52:01 PM
Reply #267

van der Meyde

Youíre right. Iím sure that sort of data does exist for youth leagues but no idea how representative it would even be.

Like I say, just flapping.
Agree on the general principle, like. Although I'm not sure I'd really credit Liverpool as a triumph of analytics, more of joined up thinking.

They've obviously done really well. I just don't think it takes much in the way of analytics to have identified Salah (20+ G+A in his last two seasons at Roma), Mane (15+ G+A in his two seasons at Southampton) or Firmino (17+ G+A in his last two seasons at Hoffenheim). Every man and their dog who Virgil Van Dijk and Oxlade-Chamberlain were and they had competition from big clubs. Even their signings for next season, Keita and Fabinho, were consistently knocking in 10+ G+A from deeper positions in competitive leagues.

May 29, 2018, 08:59:09 PM
Reply #268

Lxxx

Agree on the general principle, like. Although I'm not sure I'd really credit Liverpool as a triumph of analytics, more of joined up thinking.

They've obviously done really well. I just don't think it takes much in the way of analytics to have identified Salah (20+ G+A in his last two seasons at Roma), Mane (15+ G+A in his two seasons at Southampton) or Firmino (17+ G+A in his last two seasons at Hoffenheim). Every man and their dog who Virgil Van Dijk and Oxlade-Chamberlain were and they had competition from big clubs. Even their signings for next season, Keita and Fabinho, were consistently knocking in 10+ G+A from deeper positions in competitive leagues.

I think it's the age profile more than anything. They've bought players at an age where there is plenty of opportunity for them to grow, both in ability and in value. Makes for sustainable squad planning and future proofs the coming years. 

May 29, 2018, 09:11:15 PM
Reply #269

van der Meyde

I think it's the age profile more than anything. They've bought players at an age where there is plenty of opportunity for them to grow, both in ability and in value. Makes for sustainable squad planning and future proofs the coming years. 
Definitely. Their recent signings all have the attributes that are needed to play in a Klopp side. The defensive players are able to contribute on the ball and play a high line, while those in midfield are all able to run quickly for days.

There's just a lot of coherent thought going on there and it really doesn't take long to turn things around. It's why I've got a fair bit of hope for the future now we've got Brands in.