October 21, 2019, 09:45:57 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 177829 times)

July 31, 2018, 12:45:15 AM
Reply #30

kramer0

Way to often clubs go for the physicallity in youngsters - its quite shocking as the physciall part of the game is the most easy to work on and improve on.

We're in total agreement on that. It's a genuine problem in English football.

It's why I wouldn't have sold Liam Walsh last winter and why I want to give Dowell every chance to make it here. Good footballing brains are the scarcest commodity out there.

July 31, 2018, 01:49:25 AM
Reply #31

kramer0

I quit if we sign another winger.

There are pressing issues in midfield and defense that need to be sorted before we can even entertain the idea.

Richarlison is a more exciting prospect than Lozano anyhow.

July 31, 2018, 02:03:43 AM
Reply #32

kramer0

If we lose bolasie and Lookman though I absolutely do want another wide attacker who can player across the front three.

Sure. But maybe not someone who's going to cost a fuck ton and require regular playing time like Lozano.

If we have Lozano money to spend after we lock up a CB, it needs to go towards a quality midfielder who can help make the ball stick in the final third.

July 31, 2018, 02:29:58 AM
Reply #33

kramer0

Not sure theres much between him and Gueye, not the type of player we need IMO

They are totally different types of players.

Here's what Seri does:

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/859765618626756610?lang=en

And that empty wedge for possession adjusted tackles and interceptions is what Gana does.

July 31, 2018, 02:41:52 AM
Reply #34

kramer0

Gueye isnt as bad on the ball as people make out, Id be interested to see the comparison between the two.

As a matter of interest, who decides the scales on those things?

Looking at that it looks like Seri is good at through balls, but is 0.5 per game really the high end of the scale?

5th percentile is the bottom.

95th percentile is the top.

Gana will not be anywhere close in terms of passing/creative stats.

July 31, 2018, 02:54:45 AM
Reply #35

kramer0

Kante is like a mix of both but better again!

Ndidi is Gana mould I think, but I think hes actually doing even better.

Unfortunately Keta is closer to seri, so anyone expecting a little tackler will be disappointed because hes going to be running games in thisnkeague unfortunately.

Keita does everything.

It's irritating that they signed him.

July 31, 2018, 07:29:16 PM
Reply #36

kramer0

If we're starting to worry about Mina, why not enquire about Zouma?

He's younger than Mina (seriously), he's played more first-team football at a higher level, he appears to be unwanted by his club, and he showed some genuine promise earlier in his career. See his name on the "Prospects" list here, for example:

https://deepxg.com/2016/03/02/evaluating-defenders-with-patch/

Or, to phrase this another way -- surely there are other younger CBs we can sign if Mina falls through? Fuck signing another player who's going to be past his best and impossible to shift in a couple of years.

August 01, 2018, 02:20:22 AM
Reply #37

kramer0

Without the specific of Rojo I think its easy to get carried away with every signing must be appreciable in value.

Part of DoFs role is to identify players who will improve the team.

Sometimes that will be young players, sometimes it will be unheard of players but sometimes it will be a player who appears to be not great but they actually fit into what the team is trying to do.

Finding players who make everyone else better is just as important as ones with individual qualities.

I agree in general. I just think your team needs to be *something* before you can start chasing those short-term, perfect fit signings.

And we are nothing right now. Just a bunch of spare pieces from a bunch of different puzzles.

August 06, 2018, 08:14:55 PM
Reply #38

kramer0

Swerve Andre Gomes.

https://twitter.com/mixedknuts/status/875020802739056641

That's from his "good" year at Valencia and it's only gotten worse at Barca (which you can understand given the lack of regular games). He looks like a good dribbler but doesn't really do a whole lot overall. Nowhere near the caliber of passer we need and offers next to nothing defensively.

So yeah, swerve.

August 07, 2018, 09:54:49 PM
Reply #39

kramer0

If we get Bernard and Mina over the line and sell (or loan) Bolasie, Sandro, and Besic, that would be a great finish to the window.

I'd still like to see us add a midfielder who can pass the ball forward from deep but I'm sort of assuming that if we sign Bernard, he's going to play centrally when everyone is fit (i.e. we might not have enough minutes for that sort of player this season).

August 08, 2018, 06:20:10 AM
Reply #40

kramer0

Say if we get Mina and Bernie - good window? Bad window? Out of ten?

Definitely a good window. I'd give that a solid 8 (and it might look even better in a few years).

Good players, good ages, no awkward fits (provided Bernard can play centrally, which it seems like he can). Maybe you can criticize the price for Richarlison and the reported price for Mina but it's worth paying a little extra to get players that suit the way you want to play (which those two do, on paper at least).

Really hoping we close those last two deals.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 06:25:07 AM by kramer0 »