October 16, 2019, 02:06:18 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176401 times)

July 31, 2018, 02:40:12 PM
Reply #30

GrantyBoy78

No Brand’s gems this summer then?

July 31, 2018, 08:00:37 PM
Reply #31

GrantyBoy78

For some reason I thought when Brands was appointed he was going to come in and rip the place up with new ideas and quality targets, my hopes were raised. It does appear at the moment that being the director of football for Everton is a lot harder than I presumed. Not sure what the reasons are behind our ponderous recruitment, could it be perception of the club after last season, money or other things, hard to say.

It does appear we are in for a long hall even to get back to were we were a few seasons ago.
Let’s not forgot that there’s a massive step-up in the quality required at PSV compared to us. Although we malign players such as Mirallas and Bolasie, they’d boss it in Holland. Could be that Brands has seen our team first hand and realised most of his PSV targets are nowhere near that standard required. Also, with the UK’s stringent work permit conditions, the majority of his South American targets will be off the table.

I’ve still got 100% faith in the new regime; their challenges have been well documented. That said, if we bring in Rojo for £30m, having sold Funes Miri for £10m (the £20m reported was bollocks, it was amended to a ‘small profit’), then most of that good will would be wiped out, instantly.

July 31, 2018, 11:58:27 PM
Reply #32

GrantyBoy78

I hate it when people say ‘just throw a kid in the first team, they can’t do any worse’...but it does seem a waste to give Jags/Williams game-time this season. I’m not advocating we play Feeney or buy for the sake of it, but there must be an early 20s, pacey CB out there that’d cost £10m and might improve over a season? The ceiling is so fucking low at the moment.

August 01, 2018, 11:46:13 PM
Reply #33

GrantyBoy78

I heard Vlasic is off on loan

August 02, 2018, 01:41:06 AM
Reply #34

GrantyBoy78

Max Meter close to joining Palace.

August 03, 2018, 02:32:43 PM
Reply #35

GrantyBoy78

Very uninspiring, also extremely bad on the ball.

Is he better than Keane? We should hope not, but maybe he is tbh.
He’d be our best CB

August 03, 2018, 02:39:35 PM
Reply #36

GrantyBoy78

So, as it stands, we have 3 fit CBs; on of which has looked awful, another is soon to be 36 and the other is Matthew fucking Pennington.

Holgate was injured much of the end of last season and hasn’t featured much in pre-season.

Far from ideal, eh lads?

August 03, 2018, 05:26:52 PM
Reply #37

GrantyBoy78

When you say it like that, yes.

But in reality you're twisting the truth a tad saying we have three centre halves, one of them being Matthew Pennington.

It's jags, Keane, Holgate, new signing.

Not ideal, but we should be able to manage with that four.
No evidence Holgate can stay fit and we’ve not signed a new CB. So, that is how it stands, with 6 days of transfer window left.

Not saying it can’t change dramatically over time he next few days, though.

August 04, 2018, 11:46:26 PM
Reply #38

GrantyBoy78

No more distractions; over to you, Marcel.

August 06, 2018, 03:20:47 PM
Reply #39

GrantyBoy78

I’d still like us to bring in a few to add some depth. Our bench impact players will be Lookman, Niasse, Sandro, DCL etc. You’d only say Niasse is of (questionable) proven PL quality among that lot.

August 06, 2018, 03:23:09 PM
Reply #40

GrantyBoy78

Is it Achilles Tendonitis Holgate is suffering from? If so, according to the NHS website it can takes months to settle down. You'd like to think having access to the best medical facilities and staff would drastically reduce that for a full time professional footballer, but even so, I guess he could be a few weeks away yet. Even more so when you consider we have said we don't have an ETA for him returning to full fitness.
Yep. Fingers crossed it’s not too serious, but this could also be an injury that runs into weeks/months. Achilles injuries are horrible. Hard to treat yet easy to re-injure.

August 06, 2018, 11:00:02 PM
Reply #41

GrantyBoy78

After the Mina reports last night, I thought he’d be at FF making his announcement video today, and we’d be getting linked with a host of other players.

Nowt.

August 07, 2018, 12:42:35 AM
Reply #42

GrantyBoy78

I want more than just a CB though. I appreciate it’ll take a few transfer windows for Silva and Brands to really make their mark but we’re so short of quality and depth, there’s so much scope for improvement.