October 16, 2019, 04:11:22 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176421 times)

July 23, 2018, 07:44:19 PM
Reply #30

Ross

Mentions we sold Funes Mori for 4.4m there!

Crazy fee.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 27, 2018, 06:49:16 PM
Reply #31

Ross

Thats your opinion, I think we seem to be happy to write this season off as transition and seem to think thats acceptable. You need to evaluate every situation and transfer on its merits, would Moutinho get into our team, id argue 100% yes as he may be 30 plus but its also about quality and hes better than our current CM options. And how many summers are we going to say 'if we have to take steps back', or 'this is a transition year' its about time we started taking steps forward

People go on about trimming the 1st team squad like its miles over what anyone else has, for reference Man C have 45 players, United 38, Arsenal 34, Chelsea 39, Liverpool 38, Spurs 36 and Everton now have 32 with Klaassen gone. But even with their bigger squads did that stop any of them preparing to the best of their abilities for the coming season, when for example, Liverpool signed 150 millions worth of talent that has made them exponentially better than they were, no it didnt, they will now start offloading what they dont need whilst also giving themselves the best chance of bedding in.

You can add Leicester, Watford and West Ham to clubs running 30 plus squads, there’s proably more, in fact I wouldn’t be a surprise if a couple of the newly promoted teams had squads of 30 plus.

It’s a bit of a red herring this squad size talk, most clubs have these size numbers. The problem we’ve got is we’re drastically over paying useless wasters like Williams, Sandro, Mirallas who offer nothing at all for the money they earn. We could dispense of 8-10 players from the list and they’d not make a blind bit of difference to how competitive we are or the wage bill. Who’d miss a 22 year old goalkeeper who’s never even been part of a match day squad? Or a 21 year old who’s not played a competitive game for us in the last 2 years?

If anything the numbers of players that have been brought in is probably slightly down on most considering about 30% of this squad are below 22 with less than a handful of top flight games to their names and who’s careers could still go either way.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 27, 2018, 07:26:59 PM
Reply #32

Ross

It's not a red herring at all, aside from the obvious money side of things Brands and Silva have both said it's easier for the manager to work with a smaller squad, especially as we have no Europe this season. As said, most of the clubs you're talking about will have big squads but in reality the manager and coaches will work with 23-25 players, not the 30 or 40 quoted. Our squad, other than some of the players who were out on loan is still pretty big and made up of players who played in the first team rather than beefed up with under 23's so it's perfectly sensible to try and cut that to a core in the mid 20's.

We could get rid of 5 players in Davies, Dowell, Kenny, Baningame and Hewet and reduce the numbers into the 20’s for the probably the same saving to the wage bill as if Williams or Mirallas left. 

Which one would benefit the squad more?

Scratch away at the surface and there’s little depth to this squad.

July 27, 2018, 07:40:54 PM
Reply #33

Ross

There's more to it than just the wage bill though, it's been clearly stated that we need to sell to get the wage bill down but it was also stated that Silva likes to work with a smaller number of players.

And I’ve just shown how the numbers mean very little.

You could add Browning, Pennington, Galloway, Besic, Vlasic and Lookman to bring the numbers down even further it still wouldn’t make a big dent in the wages but you’d have a squad in the low 20’s.

July 27, 2018, 08:18:07 PM
Reply #34

Ross

I'm not sure why you keep going on about wages as if it's the sole reason to reduce the squad? It's one of several reasons, the manager wants to work with a smaller squad, plus some of them just aren't good enough, regardless of how much they're being paid. If we clear out five young players that aren't going to make, so much the better.

As you've said yourself the DoF and manager have both spoken about the need go reduce the wages so that’s why I’ve posted about it twice, hardly “going on”.

I’ve also illustrated how we could shed 10 players to bring the squad size down to the magical mid twenties and only one of the players would be or has been considered a proper first team player, the other 9 have barley registered 50-100 league starts between them, they’ve hardly been crucial (or in most case even here) these past few seasons and wouldn’t therefore be missed.

Also worth pointing out, again, most clubs in the league deal with 30 plus size squads it’s pretty much the norm, and going into a club with a big squad certainly didn’t seem to faze Silva much last summer when he brought in 8/9 players for Watford.

July 29, 2018, 03:04:58 AM
Reply #35

Ross

We missed the boat not getting Jonny Evans I reckon.

He really wouldn’t have been the answer our needs right now, not that he’s a poor player. But what we’re badly lacking ate mobile strong players in the back line and Evans doesn’t fit that bill.

Not sure Mina does either having read he’s consider slow and solid rather than quick and athletic.

August 04, 2018, 06:34:22 AM
Reply #36

Ross

Brands at that awkward point were you’ve seen something you don’t like but know it’s best to ignore..

...bit like we all felt when Kevin Ratcliffe feel over because Vinny Jones had eaten garlic bread as a pre match meal that time

August 05, 2018, 05:44:08 AM
Reply #37

Ross

Getting hard to tell the fappers from the ostriches now there’s only 4 days 17 hrs and 15 minutes to go (approximately).

August 05, 2018, 05:59:15 AM
Reply #38

Ross

A flapper and an ostrich have just had a perfectly civil conversation, without any rancour and ended up pretty much coming from the same place. Wonders never cease eh?

August 07, 2018, 11:21:37 PM
Reply #39

Ross

47 hours, 39 minutes left.