October 19, 2019, 05:09:16 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 177288 times)

July 29, 2018, 06:10:27 PM
Reply #45

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
There's nothing wrong with cheap and okay. Our problem is we invested relatively huge sums on okay

Yes but you can’t get much cheaper than free (eg a youth player) and ultimately they’re judged on how good they are.

So a £5m punt who is ok wouldn’t be bad value for money but they wouldn’t be accepted as a good signing, so then unless we’ve got a great feeling that they’re going to be better than “ok” then there’s no point in signing them.

Therefore the pool of potential players is small.

July 30, 2018, 12:40:09 AM
Reply #46

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Mundo Deportivo saying digne deal is done but we are waiting to announce as trying to do double deal for Mina to

Where did you see that mate - can’t see it on their twitter feed?

July 30, 2018, 12:59:17 AM
Reply #47

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

August 01, 2018, 12:04:20 AM
Reply #48

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I hate it when people say ‘just throw a kid in the first team, they can’t do any worse’...but it does seem a waste to give Jags/Williams game-time this season. I’m not advocating we play Feeney or buy for the sake of it, but there must be an early 20s, pacey CB out there that’d cost £10m and might improve over a season? The ceiling is so fucking low at the moment.

So young, fast and not a disaster defensively.

I think might struggle to find one for £10m as most people are looking for that ;)

August 01, 2018, 01:44:35 AM
Reply #49

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Without the specific of Rojo I think it’s easy to get carried away with every signing must be appreciable in value.

Part of DoF’s role is to identify players who will improve the team.

Sometimes that will be young players, sometimes it will be unheard of players but sometimes it will be a player who appears to be not great but they actually fit into what the team is trying to do.

Finding players who make everyone else better is just as important as ones with individual qualities.

August 01, 2018, 01:49:04 AM
Reply #50

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Echo saying we’re after a 6 and another striker.

No 8 then, wonder who will be tried on for creativity? Sigurdsson / Davies / Dowell it must be.

They’re who he’s played so far (Porto game was Best and that had Dowell and Davies).

I’d say we were looking to use width more so 6 will be tasked with getting the ball out there.

August 01, 2018, 01:50:28 AM
Reply #51

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber

Holgate says hi  lolol

Not deemed good enough to play though ;)

Well, he might be after his injury or whatever.

August 01, 2018, 02:08:23 AM
Reply #52

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Word is he doesn’t fancy tosun.

We need more competition though that stretches beyond chucking Niasse on to run around.

Interesting re DCL, maybe will be used as a wide forward option (which I don’t mind).

August 01, 2018, 02:16:05 AM
Reply #53

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Does a ten even exist in football anymore? Genuine question, I’m not great with tactics but I tend to think of goalscoring widemen, box to box pogba types and playmaking forwards who can do it all in the modern game.

Silva but now in double 10 role with de Bruyne, Isco but 10 on the LW?

Not many play as out and out 10 in the hole no.

August 01, 2018, 02:32:50 AM
Reply #54

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
What a great time to purchase a post peak immobile Gylfi Sigurdsson.

God I hope he has a good season and shuts me up.

Could argue that as he’s not a traditional 10 that we could get away with it, by playing more as you’re breaking forward CM.

You can’t not be involved with the game there though.

August 02, 2018, 01:36:42 PM
Reply #55

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Lukaku had barely played for Chelsea so needed to get someone to start his career.

Martial was already at a good level before he went to Utd.

He’s started sporadically there but enough to think that he’s CL level (and that issues are with Mourinho rather than ability level).

August 04, 2018, 05:15:29 AM
Reply #56

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Looks like Eli Manning.

To replace Schneiderlin...?

August 06, 2018, 03:27:34 AM
Reply #57

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
If it makes anyone feel better, my United fan mate thinks Rojo is a solid defender most of the time and a good left back.

He does have moments of being erratic though.

Is this judgment one of those moments?

Oh, you mean Rojo...

August 08, 2018, 04:24:46 AM
Reply #58

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Keep hearing diego reyes name mentioned, who is he??

Seemingly he’s a Mexican CB who is a free agent having left Porto this summer (spent 2 of last 3 seasons on loan in Spain).

August 08, 2018, 07:04:48 PM
Reply #59

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I can see a top six spot opening up next season.

Could be up for grabs.

The way we've conducted ourselves this window, I'd be very surprised if we aren't knocking on the door very soon.

We're outspending Arsenal and Spurs on a regular basis. Basic football economics says we're top six in the next three years at most.

Wages is the biggest factor re economics though.

Got some way on 5 of them and I think spurs will pull ahead with their recent renovations.