October 16, 2019, 11:18:10 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176379 times)

July 09, 2018, 07:02:10 PM
Reply #15

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
You canít tell me youíre not starting to sweat yet

Been sweating for what seems like an eternity with this bastard weather. I can no longer remember a time before th eheat made me hate the world.

That is what you're talking about isn't it?
a handful of days after the new guys have started work with the squad?

July 09, 2018, 07:35:34 PM
Reply #16

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Funes Mori, Robles, Rooney, Garbutt & Onyekuru isn't a bad start, with the new management team only being behind the desk for a week or so.
Still think we'll have to see another handful leave before we bring someone in.

Galloway, Browning, Martina & Williams
Besic, Mccarthy and possibly Klaasen
Bolasie, Mirallas, Tarashaj and possibly Sandro

That's an entire outfield team that we could lose and wouldn't even weaken our team. We'd still have a squad of 20.
It's a herculean task and one that may not be able to be finished in one window.

As long as we get a left back and another striking option over the line in a month i'd be content if we shifted the majority of that lot as well.
Jags/Holgate/Keane is the only place we look a bit thin on the ground in that situation.

July 09, 2018, 07:39:50 PM
Reply #17

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I reckon we will only make one or two signings close to the end of the window, and I don't think Lozano will be one of them. Tierney and Mina I reckon.

You may be right.
Again, shoring up 2 of our weaker positions will still be enough that we should finish 7th next year. But i don't think it's feasible to imagine we could do anything this summer to do better anyway.

Hopefully a cup win or Europa coming down to 7th will give us a way of attracting a different type of player next summer and we can reassess our targets againt then.

July 09, 2018, 07:42:40 PM
Reply #18

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I was for that, but i think @GLewis has talked me down with his appraisal of where he is at as a player.

July 09, 2018, 09:36:23 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Well, they could.

But signings add impetus and a sense of momentum. We do, absolutely, need to sign players.
But we have a month and i reckon talks are well advanced with many, many players, clubs & agents.

July 11, 2018, 03:06:55 PM
Reply #20

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think the lads are being monitored very closely in Austria. the few international lads are safe and are going to be starters, so they dont need to be there.

I reckon this camp is one big audition. At the end of each day the management team will be getting together and going through what they have seen and making decisions on what they need.

Until that process is complete, i don't think they're going to make a move. (Besides approaching some glaring holes int he squad - CB & LB depth)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:08:32 PM by Mick 1995 »

July 13, 2018, 08:01:08 PM
Reply #21

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
That's late this year, the first "muppet delegation" reference usually comes way before mid July.

I think that's his point?

July 18, 2018, 05:00:50 PM
Reply #22

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I thought Malcom played on the right?

July 19, 2018, 03:46:52 PM
Reply #23

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Balked at the Ä40m asking price of Espanyol's David Lopez according to Mundo Deportivo

July 23, 2018, 07:39:23 PM
Reply #24

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Andy Hunter

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/22/summer-transfer-window-club-by-club-guide-premier-league

Thatís interesting didnít expect us to be looking for an attacking midfielder this summer.

Maybe a misinterpretation/translation thing and it's the transitional CM we need?
because you're right, i think (short of doing an actual squad overhaul) we have sufficient forward threat going into the new season.

Unless he counts Richarlison. In which case, yeah, i agree we need him.

August 08, 2018, 07:03:49 PM
Reply #25

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I can see a top six spot opening up next season.

Could be up for grabs.

The way we've conducted ourselves this window, I'd be very surprised if we aren't knocking on the door very soon.

We're outspending Arsenal and Spurs on a regular basis. Basic football economics says we're top six in the next three years at most.

Mina, Bernard, Zouma and a CM would make me confident that we would be there or thereabouts for 6th place (even 5th, Arsenal look as hollow as ever, Chelsea and Spurs seem all over the place!).

Just Mina & Bernard being added means we'll be a distant 7th or even 8th though.

August 08, 2018, 08:01:56 PM
Reply #26

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Fulham and Liverpool are the only ones i think look considerably better after the business so far.
Fulham coming from championship level means they had a long way to go, so i am not concerned about them - think they'll stay up though.

Wolves aren't any more dangerous than they were the day the got promoted to be honest. Bulked out a bit and look like they could trouble the top half.

Most others just seem to have plugged a few holes/replaced players

August 08, 2018, 10:10:30 PM
Reply #27

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

lol

im sure if i posted the same link i would have got shouted down for not being able to discern shit. but when others post rumors its fine :D

anyway i think Gomes should be fit in 3-4 weeks, going by what i've read.

In all fairness, the very first response to that post was somebody calling it as bullshit.

August 09, 2018, 02:38:45 AM
Reply #28

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Interesting how this window we haven't bought one English player. looks to be all South Americans and one Spanish. All Latin flair type players. has to be exciting news. Last season was Sig, keane, Pickford, Sandro and Rooney. mostly English and one untried Spaniard.

Getting them all in before Brexit turns the place into a wasteland