October 18, 2019, 11:12:57 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 177114 times)

June 27, 2018, 05:21:11 PM
Reply #870

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Niasse is truly awful, and still topped our xg chart.

I do think we could do with another forward next year.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 27, 2018, 06:09:19 PM
Reply #871

ajax_andy

Niasse is truly awful, and still topped our xg chart.

I do think we could do with another forward next year.

The problem with another striker is it would impact on DCL's development.

The problem with not signing one is if Toson gets a bad injury a couple of games in we are relying on DCL again when he's not ready.

It's a tough one, I wonder if there's anyone we could bring in on loan for a year so at least it's only a year of DCL playing a bit part role?

June 27, 2018, 06:16:19 PM
Reply #872

Bluedylan

The problem with not signing one is if Toson gets a bad injury a couple of games in we are relying on DCL again when he's not ready.

It's a tough one, I wonder if there's anyone we could bring in on loan for a year so at least it's only a year of DCL playing a bit part role?

I think we want to be signing another striker of Tosun's quality or better, personally. It's a long season, there's plenty of games to go around, with injuries, suspensions, loss of form, formation changes to accomodate Tosun, DCL and a new striker.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

June 27, 2018, 06:24:55 PM
Reply #873

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think we want to be signing another striker of Tosun's quality or better, personally. It's a long season, there's plenty of games to go around, with injuries, suspensions, loss of form, formation changes to accomodate Tosun, DCL and a new striker.

Ive been thinking a forward of a different type to DCL and Tosun would be good. Someone who can play across the front line with pace and 1v1 dribbling would be fantastic, saves buying two players too.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 27, 2018, 06:27:03 PM
Reply #874

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We need a second striker who can score goals.

To be honest, Niasse is it. If DCL could match that, he'd be a very decent striker.
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Dont wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Barack Obama

June 27, 2018, 06:52:33 PM
Reply #875

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
If Tosun got injured for more than a game or two i think you'd see Walcott being asked to play there rather than DCL.
DCL will start games only where tosun needs a rest/will be out for a few days i reckon.

June 27, 2018, 06:55:11 PM
Reply #876

GrantyBoy78

I've been thinking a forward of a different type to DCL and Tosun would be good. Someone who can play across the front line with pace and 1v1 dribbling would be fantastic, saves buying two players too.
Theo says hi.

June 27, 2018, 07:21:58 PM
Reply #877

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

Theo stated that he wished he would have had the opportunity to play more games for Arsenal, right up top, rather than on the wing.

If Tosun isnt playing, I'd like to see Theo have a couple of games leading the line, and us playing to his strengths.

Say we got our elusive pacey left winger, like a Lozano. The speed of a possible front 3 of Lozano(or whoever) - Walcott - Lookman, with Coleman behind, and even Baines has still got a bit of pace, and a few yards in his old head. That's a fair bit of threat with out and out pace - what defenders fear most. Not only does that add to our attacking strengths, but it forces teams back and makes them not want to go too far forward with defenders in case we counter. I would sooner we spend BIG money on a proper out and out winger with serious pace and goals, than to typically buy 3 or 4 average-to-good players, to relieve 3 or 4 poor-to-average players. Quality not quantity.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:24:37 PM by The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool »

June 27, 2018, 08:31:16 PM
Reply #878

Lxxx

In today's market I reckon 15m for Niasse wouldn't be too far off. That's a decent amount to be put towards a pacey forward who would complement how Silva wants to play. As much as I think he's a useful member of the squad we really need to have players who will grow and improve as squad players if they're not of a standard to start a game.

June 27, 2018, 08:37:11 PM
Reply #879

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Theo says hi.

Yeah not a terrible shout and I am looking forward to seeing what he can put up next year.

But hes 29 and maybe not quite the player he was, or soon to be anyway.

Basically - if we got an offer...

June 27, 2018, 09:32:59 PM
Reply #880

Juanito

If we signed another striker it would do DCL a world of good to go on loan at a solid championship side fighting promotion, where he was the main man.

June 27, 2018, 10:05:21 PM
Reply #881

Waltzer

We 100% need a new striker to support Tosun and id like us to go for Batshuayi. DCL will never be good enough imo, he just doesnt seem like a natural scorer which is an issue. He had lots of guilt edge opportunities last season that he failed to convert, and while you can work on timing of runs, positional play etc the one thing that should come more natural is your ability to finish and if that was easy to teach everyone would have a 20+ striker. I hope im wrong but I think he'll end up being a mid table championship player at best

June 27, 2018, 10:21:48 PM
Reply #882

smellybum

I honestly don't think this is an area we need to worry about this season. At least until the winter window anyway. We don't have europe to concern ourselves with this season so there is not really a desperate need. Obviously if a good player becomes available at a decent fee then do the deal. however I would like to see us keep our powder dry on this one and see where we go with DCL. Let Silva and his team have a good look over the season and then make a decision.

June 27, 2018, 11:15:55 PM
Reply #883

D15TIN

I honestly don't think this is an area we need to worry about this season. At least until the winter window anyway. We don't have europe to concern ourselves with this season so there is not really a desperate need. Obviously if a good player becomes available at a decent fee then do the deal. however I would like to see us keep our powder dry on this one and see where we go with DCL. Let Silva and his team have a good look over the season and then make a decision.

I think other than GK and RB were basically not good enough in every other position, I think we need 3 or 4 quality signings and get rid of the deadwood

June 27, 2018, 11:50:13 PM
Reply #884

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

There is that side to it - basically just saying, we are not going to achieve anything next year, so only sign people who are young with a big upside, and only sign in desperate positions.

Its mean everyone just swallowing 10th- 7th now, but it might mean in another year or two we will be better off without having spunked money & ties ourselves to big wages on people like Walcott and Gylfi who can do a bit now but will likely need replacing shortly.