October 18, 2019, 08:02:00 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176926 times)

June 28, 2018, 05:31:31 PM
Reply #915

Toddacelli

Yes totally agree - look at his assists last year - I just mean if we’re talking about ‘threat’, I.e how many goals he should have been expected to have scored last year, then we should consider the fact he played wide right, wide left, 10, right back...

Here’s the site, dunno how accurate but it doesn’t look a million miles off?

https://understat.com/team/Everton/2017

the fuck kind of fuckery is this?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 28, 2018, 05:31:48 PM
Reply #916

Ramjam

Niasse did score a couple of flukes that helped out his average stats, that won’t happen all the time, that’s reserved for Harry Kane
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

June 28, 2018, 05:32:36 PM
Reply #917

Waltzer

What’s to get (or miss) about him?

Niasse on average gets a goal every 193 minutes in this league, pretty simple really.

Tosun who’s widely regarded as a good finisher gets a goal every 198 minutes.

DCL 1 goal every 263 minutes

June 28, 2018, 05:33:28 PM
Reply #918

Ramjam

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

June 28, 2018, 05:34:31 PM
Reply #919

Ross

Young kid in a break through season being played all over the place, hardly surprising he’s not the finished article is it.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 28, 2018, 05:35:02 PM
Reply #920

Bluedylan

Every football fan wants better players for their team so of course.

But do think we’ll find a better back up goalscorer who’s happy to rotate, or more likely, play second fiddle to Tosun if he’s got a better goalscoring record?

Yes. I'm certain we could. I do take your point, and it can be hard to keep players happy.

Whoever it was would have to fight it out with Tosun for the 1st choice, and if they played and trained better than Tosun, then Tosun drops to the bench. It should be a meritocracy. Tosun's not a guaranteed starter.

There might be games where we go for 2 up top. We might sign a striker who can also play wide in certain games. Tosun could get a 6 month injury tomorrow. Imagine that, and then you're just left with Niasse and DCL. Dude, we need better than Niasse, as well as he's acquitted himself given his limitations.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

June 28, 2018, 05:39:49 PM
Reply #921

Ross

Yes. I'm certain we could. I do take your point, and it can be hard to keep players happy.

Whoever it was would have to fight it out with Tosun for the 1st choice, and if they played and trained better than Tosun, then Tosun drops to the bench. It should be a meritocracy. Tosun's not a guaranteed starter.

There might be games where we go for 2 up top. We might sign a striker who can also play wide in certain games. Tosun could get a 6 month injury tomorrow. Imagine that, and then you're just left with Niasse and DCL. Dude, we need better than Niasse, as well as he's acquitted himself given his limitations.

Just out of interest who’d you have to replace him?

I realise it’s not your job and all that, but if these goalscorers with better records are so abundant a few names must pop up surely?

Bearing in mind of course we’ve got a limited budget and multiple gaps in the squad that need filling. 
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

June 28, 2018, 05:40:44 PM
Reply #922

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Willing to go on record saying if we do replace Niasse,  his replacement wont get as many goals as Niasse did last season.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

June 28, 2018, 05:45:37 PM
Reply #923

Bluedylan

Just out of interest who’d you have to replace him?

I realise it’s not your job and all that, but if these goalscorers with better records are so abundant a few names must pop up surely?

Bearing in mind of course we’ve got a limited budget and multiple gaps in the squad that need filling. 

I won't go through a long list of names, and I do take the point that you have to keep people happy, but I'm not saying we should sign a 3rd choice striker who is happy with 10-15 games, like Niasse.

I think we should sign another 1st choice/compete with Tosun level striker, and then DCL becomes your third choice striker. You need options.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

June 28, 2018, 05:47:01 PM
Reply #924

Waltzer

Young kid in a break through season being played all over the place, hardly surprising he’s not the finished article is it.

Dont know what age has to do with it really, if hes good enough hes old enough as the old adage goes? I feel for him and think he did admirably last season given his skillset, I just dont think (hope) the squad will be as weak this year in positions where he would play cause he isnt ready so a move would probably help his development?

June 28, 2018, 06:13:56 PM
Reply #925

Ross

I won't go through a long list of names, and I do take the point that you have to keep people happy, but I'm not saying we should sign a 3rd choice striker who is happy with 10-15 games, like Niasse.

I think we should sign another 1st choice/compete with Tosun level striker, and then DCL becomes your third choice striker. You need options.

We’ve got a better back up than most have as first choice, even the likes of Spurs or the Shite don’t have a second striker with a record better than their main man.

You wouldn’t say we go out and buy Butland to give Pickford competition or incase he gets injured would you. This is about budget and necessity.

Tosun is clearly our main forward and Niasse and DCL are vying for games as his understudy or worst case his replacement.

Dont know what age has to do with it really, if hes good enough hes old enough as the old adage goes? I feel for him and think he did admirably last season given his skillset, I just dont think (hope) the squad will be as weak this year in positions where he would play cause he isnt ready so a move would probably help his development?

I don’t see us buying a centreforward this window given the urgency elsewhere in the squad and I think he’s likely to get as much, if not more, of an opportunity under Silva to impress as the last couple of managers gave him. It’s down to DCL if he takes them then, but I don’t think it serves us any good shipping him out to play second fiddle to someone else or drop down a division.

June 28, 2018, 06:49:52 PM
Reply #926

hannu

1 in 2.9 its not the worst we have ever had

June 28, 2018, 06:52:16 PM
Reply #927

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Niasse did score a couple of flukes that helped out his average stats, that won’t happen all the time, that’s reserved for Harry Kane

Weirdly enough he seems to repeat the feat, did it in Russia, does it here - chasing keepers and defenders down and forcing errors.

Fair play to him like I think it is actually a sort of skill.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 28, 2018, 07:02:45 PM
Reply #928

Lxxx

It's a conundrum as in an ideal world we would sign another first team ready striker and be in enough competitions to need four strikers.

I take the point Niasse isn't at the level we need but if we're looking for fresh options off the bench to get you a goal then although you'd like to see DCL progress and improve Niasse would be your go to man. In the derby we needed fresh legs up top but if Niasse gets the chance DCL had it hits the back of the net, somehow, and we win the game. Which then leads us onto a more general point of do we take the long term view and invest the time and effort in DCL in the hope he becomes more clinical, notwithstanding the fact he might miss a few chances and cost us points along the way.

It's strange as Niasse is completely unorthodox, is unlikely to improve and half the time he looks like a Sunday league throwback but he's effective. He really shouldn't be succeeding at this level but he does. Maybe because he does things completely off the cuff so no-one is sure what/where he'll pop up next.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 07:04:35 PM by Lxxx »

June 28, 2018, 07:15:29 PM
Reply #929

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If next season niasse gets like 1000 minutes we’ve failed in our recruitment.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.