October 15, 2019, 03:45:46 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176224 times)

June 29, 2018, 03:34:10 AM
Read 176224 times

howard1334

If that's the case then we've not done our homework properly if a replacement scores less than 9 goals or only plays 1000 minutes.

Any replacement for Niasse is probably going to play second fiddle to Cenk, and if that is the case, then they will be very hard pressed to get more than 9 goals. Niasse's strike rate was incredibly good this past season.

June 29, 2018, 03:35:48 AM
Reply #1

howard1334

Everton are set to continue the clear-out of their squad. Morgan Schneiderlin is set to leave the club and sign for Marseille, Stoke City are interested in signing Ashley Williams and West Ham United are interested in signing Yannick Bolasie. (Source: Guardian)

Should start seeing some movement now.

Cant say any of those will be missed. Three players who all threw the towel in at some point last season.

I dont think that Bolasie threw in the towel -- i think he just wasn't good enough. Prior to the injury he showed some worth but he was not the same this year.

June 29, 2018, 08:07:54 AM
Reply #2

howard1334

Nah, any replacement would be brought in to put pressure on Tosun or even take his place rather than just make the odd cameo and chip in some goals. Strikers probably more than any other position need kept on their toes so I'd expect any player brought in to be a decent upgrade on Niasse.

Over the past decade, I am not sure we have actually had two strikers of the sort you are describing at the same time, so I would not be so quick too assume it will be happening. And, in case you need reminding, Niasse had the 9th best goals/90 rate in the Prem last season at .65 goals/90 mins, so actually improving on his strike rate through a replacement will be very difficult.

Genuine question, when was the last time we had two strikers scoring 10+ goals in a season?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:22:55 AM by howard1334 »

June 30, 2018, 01:46:40 AM
Reply #3

howard1334

I agree and thats why im worried about our transfer policy this season as we seem to be selling all of our first team players and leaving behind those that werent good enough to challenge them, weve already said we wont replace like for like with regards to numbers, so how are we going to strengthen our squad, which was pretty weak last season? I also dont know what other teams sells their leading goalscorer 2 seasons on a trot and doesnt have a replacement in before!

Huh? So far, we have only sold one regular starter from this past season: Rooney. And my personal opinion is that he clearly did not deserve to start as frequently as he did but got the nod b/c of who he is, rather than his remaining ability.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:58:15 AM by howard1334 »

June 30, 2018, 01:51:42 AM
Reply #4

howard1334

Every time I have seen Batshuayi he has been an absolute donkey. Did you see him try to kick the ball back into the net after Belgium scored last night?! Hilarious. He would be an overpriced flop here.

Pretty clearly untrue. His strike rate has been solid everywhere he has been. And he especially impressed for Dortmund last season, where he hit 7 in 10 league games.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 01:53:36 AM by howard1334 »

July 01, 2018, 02:54:18 AM
Reply #5

howard1334

I think we should go in for this Mbappe fella. He seems totally obtainable and decent.

July 01, 2018, 02:58:38 AM
Reply #6

howard1334

There were 1 or 2 suggestions for him last summer. Its hard being a blue sometimes but for them that expect Simeone and Mbappa it must be hell

Actually? He was already considered one of the best, if not the best, teenage prospects.

July 06, 2018, 09:07:53 AM
Reply #7

howard1334

Is he better than Lookman whos also in the same position?

Brands said were not buying players weve already got in the same position. Unless Lookman is leaving.

But is Ricarldson better? Is he 10 mill better? 20 mill better?

From what I have seen, I think they are pretty different players. Both are fast, but Richarlison seems stronger, more direct, and better in the air, while Lookman is probably more creative and plays with a bit more guile.

July 15, 2018, 11:32:22 PM
Reply #8

howard1334

Shades of koemans comments before last season there.

Shades of what any competent manager says in this situation. Would not worry too much, yet.

July 16, 2018, 08:27:12 AM
Reply #9

howard1334

I don't buy that.

For example -- last season's match against Silva's Watford (Unsworth in charge). We're defending a one goal lead late in the match, Watford are probing for an equalizer. We have a solid defensive shape, Watford have possession in a harmless part of midfield. Gana makes a mad dash to go win the ball, Watford work the ball around him and pass through the space he vacated to win a penalty. Pressuring the ball isn't some virtuous pursuit in this situation. We were winning, we were well positioned, Watford were up to absolutely nothing. Ultimately, we were lucky that Cleverley took an awful penalty.

Gana's game is full of these little gambles to win possession back, regardless of whether or not we need to win it. It's why I hate it when we give him any sort of positional freedom. I think all of his best football is played when he stays in his own half and moves side to side to break up or slow down counterattacks.

Of course there are instances where Gueye is singularly at fault because of his over exuberance, as you rightly have pointed out here. But I don't think that is wrong that Gueye will fair better in a team that works, and presses, as a team better than we did this past season.

July 21, 2018, 10:53:53 PM
Reply #10

howard1334

He's a top quality deep playmaker on a free. It doesn't seem like a ridiculous suggestion.

Agreed!

August 01, 2018, 03:43:26 AM
Reply #11

howard1334

Not a valid %s URL
Only way I see Sigurdsson working here is pushed up almost as a second striker, without the main creative responsibility.

He's got the energy to press from the front, he's decent at linking play up and he's a decent striker of the ball. Not sure he's even close to being a playmaker/decent central midfielder personally.

Yeah, he always has been and will probably always be more of a second striker than a No. 10. Not creative enough or involved in play enough to be considered a No. 10. I almost would prefer to play him as a No. 8 than put more creative responsibility on him.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:48:54 AM by howard1334 »

August 01, 2018, 10:48:24 PM
Reply #12

howard1334

Does earlier transfer deadline apply to our outgoings too? If not, then we have plenty of time to ship the deadwood out.