October 21, 2019, 04:34:42 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 177659 times)

July 09, 2018, 10:30:51 PM
Reply #1140

Hawkandro

where is yarmolenko coming from and hows he been playing past couple of years?

Moved to Dortmund last summer. Only started 13 games. Making a loss on him.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

July 09, 2018, 11:29:50 PM
Reply #1141

bluenuck

Me neither. The players we have in a different system under a different manager could be very good.

Chill pill time

Is this the last time we're all allowed to say this?

We've been saying this since Martinez left. That's 4 coaches ago...

July 10, 2018, 02:00:52 AM
Reply #1142

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Is this the last time we're all allowed to say this?

We've been saying this since Martinez left. That's 4 coaches ago...

But since RM left weíve finished 7th and 8th - suggesting that they are alright, unless you think that the last two managers wrung every last drop out of them.

July 10, 2018, 02:08:35 AM
Reply #1143

gizzblue

But since RM left weíve finished 7th and 8th - suggesting that they are alright, unless you think that the last two managers wrung every last drop out of them.

I still believe the right man can and will get a way better tune from this squad ....with our abundance of youth ready to step up and with what we havnt already given a proper chance too ....I'm not in the least but worried tbh ...nothing can or will be as bleak as Sam Allardyce at Everton lads we all know this .
Born not made a blue .

July 10, 2018, 02:16:06 AM
Reply #1144

Macca77

How many clubs have strengthened so far, about half a dozen or so? People really need to chill, we've learnt and are still paying for the gung ho approach and mistakes from last summer. It's pretty obvious that we're doing it properly this, that takes time, we will strengthen, I'm pretty certain of that, just need to let Brands do what he was brought in to do.

July 10, 2018, 02:22:48 AM
Reply #1145

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
We have strengthened though. Rooney left remember.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

July 10, 2018, 02:25:59 AM
Reply #1146

van der Meyde

In which case, wanting the pair of them sacked was a bit unfair.

;)

July 10, 2018, 02:43:56 AM
Reply #1147

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

No, but I think residual quality + a garbage league has helped. Leicester dropped off, Southampton dropped off, West Ham dropped off, Newcastle havenít come back up to level they were, Burnley were above us.

Our demonstrably good prem-level players are a year older (for some this is a genuine worry, for others it just means a near-drastic drop in value) and we havenít solved any of the last few years glaring gaps other than arguably RW with Theo, but he is a notoriously patchy player with injury problems (whoís the wrong side of 25 to boot.)

The long term squad building failures - back up for Baines, replacement for jags, replacement for Baines also actually, back up for Coleman, replacement for Barry (Morgan but..), replacement for lukaku (no not Tosun), replacement for Barkley, replacement for pienaar - are still largely present, but all those players still with us are now older so even less likely to perform or play as many minutes.

Teams around us, and by this I mean Leicester, Burnley, Southampton (3 teams well placed with quality) and West Ham and wolves to an extent (some quality, some loon factor) ARE improving.

Dunno, tell me itís fine if you like, it PROBABLY will be, but I canít watch another year like the one just gone, and pace, youth, quality and goals are all looking a little thin on the ground at the moment to me...
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 10, 2018, 02:49:38 AM
Reply #1148

Macca77

The day I start worrying about what West Ham, Burnley, Leicester and Wolves are doing is the I pack footy in for good! Let them throw money away by overpaying for average players, they will still finish below us next season

July 10, 2018, 02:54:32 AM
Reply #1149

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
No, but I think residual quality + a garbage league has helped. Leicester dropped off, Southampton dropped off, West Ham dropped off, Newcastle havenít come back up to level they were, Burnley were above us.

Our demonstrably good prem-level players are a year older (for some this is a genuine worry, for others it just means a near-drastic drop in value) and we havenít solved any of the last few years glaring gaps other than arguably RW with Theo, but he is a notoriously patchy player with injury problems (whoís the wrong side of 25 to boot.)

The long term squad building failures - back up for Baines, replacement for jags, replacement for Baines also actually, back up for Coleman, replacement for Barry (Morgan but..), replacement for lukaku (no not Tosun), replacement for Barkley, replacement for pienaar - are still largely present, but all those players still with us are now older so even less likely to perform or play as many minutes.

Teams around us, and by this I mean Leicester, Burnley, Southampton (3 teams well placed with quality) and West Ham and wolves to an extent (some quality, some loon factor) ARE improving.

Dunno, tell me itís fine if you like, it PROBABLY will be, but I canít watch another year like the one just gone, and pace, youth, quality and goals are all looking a little thin on the ground at the moment to me...

Yes this is all true but itís only 1 year on so maybe Jags and Baines might fall off the cliff.

None of the of the older players are at that point I wouldnít say.

Not signing anyone would be bad (and weird) but I think the point people are making is that even in that (unlikely) eventuality then itís not panic stations re the team.

Things donít just turn round in 5-6 weeks so the chances are weíll only sign 3 players for example.

But there are players here who are fast physically, what was really lacking was the dynamism of the team. Individuals look a lot faster when the groups is moving with coordination etc.

We do have, potentially, young players who will be involved more.

I donít think itís unreasonable for people to be more optimistic that a different management team will make more of the above a reality more often.

July 10, 2018, 02:54:52 AM
Reply #1150

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The day I start worrying about what West Ham, Burnley, Leicester and Wolves are doing is the I pack footy in for good! Let them throw money away by overpaying for average players, they will still finish below us next season

Not what I am saying but yes okay the year is 1987 and we are on top of the world.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 10, 2018, 02:58:51 AM
Reply #1151

Macca77

Not what I am saying but yes okay the year is 1987 and we are on top of the world.

You've lost me there like

July 10, 2018, 03:02:11 AM
Reply #1152

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
You've lost me there like

He means we shouldnít just ignore that type of club potentially being better than us.

Weíre not in a position of the top teams where say if City have a terrible year there not finishing below Southampton, itíll be 6th at worst.

Mentioned it before but we do need to take confidence from the fact that we were rubbish for so much of last season but still finished 8th.

But we do need to learn from those mistakes.

July 10, 2018, 03:06:26 AM
Reply #1153

dunkster

I'm glad in some ways that he's getting to have a good look at most of the players before making his decision
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

July 10, 2018, 03:13:37 AM
Reply #1154

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He means we shouldnít just ignore that type of club potentially being better than us.

Weíre not in a position of the top teams where say if City have a terrible year there not finishing below Southampton, itíll be 6th at worst.

Mentioned it before but we do need to take confidence from the fact that we were rubbish for so much of last season but still finished 8th.

But we do need to learn from those mistakes.

Yeah exactly, still canít quite get my head around managing 8th after that absolute stinker - but itís not a level of performance I want to rely on, let alone look forward to.

Weíve every right to expect more.