October 17, 2019, 07:29:50 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 176602 times)

July 17, 2018, 02:51:53 AM
Reply #1395

terrydarracotsbaldpate

Ugh grealish £40m? That would kill you that wouldn't it. He's a nice little player like but a £40m player surely tears the Chamionship apart? Those lads that were at wolves bossed it and I don't think they're £40m are they?
Villa are skint 15 million offer they would bite your hand off. They have got rid of Wyness and Round in the close season.

July 17, 2018, 02:53:49 AM
Reply #1396

Bluedylan

We need to remember that weíre not signing 6-7 players come what may this window.

We know, and all the noises seem to agree, what are the most pressing areas so thereís no real need to panic there.

Is there, or should there be blind confidence that weíll sign 3 top class players this summer?

No. We know the score and have seen it too often to know things are rarely that simple.

I do have confidence that we will a) make decisions with the longer term in mind but also b) if push comes to shove Iím sure weíll cover the immediate need.

Not signing a good striker was bad enough last season but not signing one at all, even on loan was awful.

I doubt weíll see that sort of scenario again.

And re shifting players, the only ones that move early in the market are either people who are really wanted or desperate to get away.

Most of ours wonít fall into those groups but Iíd be surprised if most of the people we donít want arenít moved on, if only in the short term.

Top level GLewising there. Destroying the fear and paranoia with reason and rational thought.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 17, 2018, 03:39:52 AM
Reply #1397

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Top level GLewising there. Destroying the fear and paranoia with reason and rational thought.

Itís not unwarranted fear though, is my point.

I donít know why youíre being like this about it at all. Where does this confidence come from?

I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 17, 2018, 03:46:40 AM
Reply #1398

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I do have confidence that we will a) make decisions with the longer term in mind but also b) if push comes to shove Iím sure weíll cover the immediate need.

Not signing a good striker was bad enough last season but not signing one at all, even on loan was awful.

I doubt weíll see that sort of scenario again.

Where does this confidence come from though?

I want it, I really do.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 17, 2018, 03:48:55 AM
Reply #1399

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

I donít know why youíre being like this about it at all. Where does this confidence come from?

If I can jump in. Iím pretty chill about signings as it seems transfers can be turned around in like 48hrs. Well, it seems like 48 from where weíre standing but probs takes a bit more than that in reality.

Iím straight flapping about selling players though, which dead on contradicts what I types above. But I think itís the fact 99% of the players weíre looking to shift are duds that brings that on.

July 17, 2018, 03:50:45 AM
Reply #1400

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
If I can jump in. Iím pretty chill about signings as it seems transfers can be turned around in like 48hrs. Well, it seems like 48 from where weíre standing but probs takes a bit more than that in reality.

Iím straight flapping about selling players though, which dead on contradicts what I types above. But I think itís the fact 99% of the players weíre looking to shift are duds that brings that on.

Duds that nobody wants that are in the way of signing players we do want!

Not watching another year of Ashley Williams.

July 17, 2018, 03:54:07 AM
Reply #1401

Bluedylan

No it's not unwarranted. It's reasonable to feel how you feel about it. I disagree, but it's not unreasonable.

Interesting question. Without putting a massive amount of thought into it:

1) It's a different operation than previous years, and Brands is an actual proper DoF who has been running short and long term strategy at a renowned European club for years, as opposed to the calamity of Walsh and Co. So just the credentials and experience alone make me feel calm.

2) I don't think we should be expecting too many signings. I'd be content with 3, and develop other players and the young'uns. And there's loads of time to get 3 deals sorted. If they have to be a bit more careful with dishing out silly money, then fair enough.

3) The comments of Brands and Silva since they've arrived.  I think they identified the key problems that needed addressing, which straight away gives me confidence. I feel like previously not only weren't we identifying problems, we were creating them.

4) Relatively modest expectations. Not thinking we're likely to get above 7th this season, and I think a good manager (which I think Silva is, and will be) should be able to take this team into 7th by improving players in training and building some robust, repeatable tactics and patterns of play. So those modest expectations take the pressure off things for me.

''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

July 17, 2018, 04:13:52 AM
Reply #1402

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
They just need one signing that fits a need (LB for example) and is the type which shows what this regime is about. In the LB situation, that would be the likes of Tierney or Digne I suppose. A player of enough quality, but young enough that they have the potential to improve.

Do that and I think it would calm a lot of people and you could do the last few transfers in the last week. It's not just about calming fans, it's showing the current set of players we're adding quality and any other potential transfers we're also moving in the right direction.

July 17, 2018, 04:18:32 AM
Reply #1403

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
They just need one signing that fits a need (LB for example) and is the type which shows what this regime is about. In the LB situation, that would be the likes of Tierney or Digne I suppose. A player of enough quality, but young enough that they have the potential to improve.

Do that and I think it would calm a lot of people and you could do the last few transfers in the last week. It's not just about calming fans, it's showing the current set of players we're adding quality and any other potential transfers we're also moving in the right direction.

For me my main concern is about removing the fear we'll end up with Martina at LB at some point this season, which can be fixed by bringing in another left back or getting rid of Martina completely.

Second is about removing the fear we'll end up with Williams at CB at some point this season, which can be fixed by bringing in another centre back or getting rid of Williams completely.

July 17, 2018, 04:20:45 AM
Reply #1404

Fynci

It's not unwarranted fear though, is my point.

I don't know why you're being like this about it at all. Where does this confidence come from?

Iím with you in part. Tosunís arrival and Colemanís return to fitness are important of course, but would they have made last season any less bleak? Iím not sure.

We have shipped out a few but that also thins out the options.

Silva is also still unproven to me on top of all of this.... so in short, I am far less optimistic going into this season than I was going into last season.

July 17, 2018, 04:21:06 AM
Reply #1405

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Iím hoping for a Joyce pipebomb in ten minutes.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

July 17, 2018, 04:28:35 AM
Reply #1406

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
For me my main concern is about removing the fear we'll end up with Martina at LB at some point this season, which can be fixed by bringing in another left back or getting rid of Martina completely.

Second is about removing the fear we'll end up with Williams at CB at some point this season, which can be fixed by bringing in another centre back or getting rid of Williams completely.

Agreed, two priority positions. To state the obvious, it's about who we bring in too, as replacing Martina with another second string level player isn't going to give many people confidence. We don't really want to sign PSV's second or third choice LB because he's available on the cheap for example (although maybe he's great, I don't know). We need 1 quality addition in to start things off right, and give everyone confidence we're heading in the right direction. Someone that is on some level an exciting signing, even if it's just they have the potential to be really good down the line.

It'd be nice to have Lozano level splash into the market, but just saw a story about him going to Spurs possibly :(, although that one always seemed a long shot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:32:30 AM by blueToffee »

July 17, 2018, 04:29:21 AM
Reply #1407

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Where does this confidence come from though?

I want it, I really do.

Iím not expecting loads coming in so Iím not too perturbed about there being 3 and a bit weeks left.

Brands seems to have a goal and therefore decisions, even if not great ones (as not all will be), will be made with that aim in mind.

From what weíve seen/ heard/ read his ideas and experience tie in with what seems most sensible for where we are as a club.

After the last two years where money was there and people came in too not much effect (bar a return to par post Roberto) then Iím prepared to look further down the line this season than the next three weeks.

July 17, 2018, 04:38:11 AM
Reply #1408

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Alright give yas that

July 17, 2018, 04:40:57 AM
Reply #1409

Evertonian in NC

I also think the "slow roll" is more evidence of longer-term planning and thinking, which I applaud heartily.  This coming season should not be the primary focus (i.e., it's a transition year), it's almost impossible to finish higher than 7th (ok, if lightning strikes, 6th) or lower than 10th-12th, if coached even adequately.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin