November 22, 2019, 12:14:07 PM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 182068 times)

August 08, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
Reply #3120

Ravardo

Just getting rid of schniederlin would be 10 outta 10 for me and all the rest is a bonus

August 08, 2018, 07:43:35 PM
Reply #3121

American Evertonian

Id expect us to finish 8th without all the recent signings... the EPL is dogshit atm.
I still dont see us finishing higher than 6th though.

I agree. Think we should be good for 8th (likely competing with WH, Wolves, and possibly Leicester).

If we get a couple good signings and Chelsea have a poor year we could sneak 6-7.
Are we there yet?

August 08, 2018, 07:46:21 PM
Reply #3122

Evertonian in NC

I'd say we are competing with Wolves and Fulham.  They've had a sneaky good window, and kept their key players (and manager).  I'm never gonna give the Hammers much credit, but as with Barcodes, that might just be extreme bias kicking in.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 08, 2018, 07:49:25 PM
Reply #3123

American Evertonian

I'd say we are competing with Wolves and Fulham.  They've had a sneaky good window, and kept their key players (and manager).  I'm never gonna give the Hammers much credit, but as with Barcodes, that might just be extreme bias kicking in.

I wanted to include Fulham in the list of people I expect to be competing with us but I am a little less certain of their investment. Not sure how Schurrle will do. He failed at Chelsea with a much better team around him and BvB seemed happy to ship him off. Also not sure about Mitrovic.

I think Seri will be a good pickup for them.
Are we there yet?

August 08, 2018, 07:50:42 PM
Reply #3124

Lxxx

We really do need one of these signings to become a proper superstar though, like Spurs had with Eriksson and Ali, and Liverpool had with Salah. Without that special player to elevate you, it becomes very difficult. The closest we have had is Lukaku, but I wouldn't put him in the same bracket as Salah in terms of his performances.

Lukaku was and is a 20+ goal a season striker. Thats top drawer for most teams let alone us. The issue was always that he was out on his own and we didnt craft a side to build on his goals.

We had four potential special players at one time; Stones, Barkley, Lukaku and arguably Del. For various reasons we now have none but if we keep buying players with potential upside like Richarlison and Bernard well at least have a stab at getting there again.

August 08, 2018, 07:59:23 PM
Reply #3125

Hawkandro

Wolves in for Dendonker now, too.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

August 08, 2018, 08:00:33 PM
Reply #3126

Lxxx

Loads of hype around that kid but is he actually any good?

August 08, 2018, 08:01:56 PM
Reply #3127

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Fulham and Liverpool are the only ones i think look considerably better after the business so far.
Fulham coming from championship level means they had a long way to go, so i am not concerned about them - think they'll stay up though.

Wolves aren't any more dangerous than they were the day the got promoted to be honest. Bulked out a bit and look like they could trouble the top half.

Most others just seem to have plugged a few holes/replaced players

August 08, 2018, 08:02:19 PM
Reply #3128

Free Agent

:wag: no way... hes not Portuguese

August 08, 2018, 08:04:22 PM
Reply #3129

Hawkandro

Loads of hype around that kid but is he actually any good?

I had seen something saying he hadn't kicked on as they had imagined, which is why maybe he hasn't moved already?
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

August 08, 2018, 08:16:06 PM
Reply #3130

Cereal Killer

I had seen something saying he hadn't kicked on as they had imagined, which is why maybe he hasn't moved already?

The Belgium Jack Rodwell?

August 08, 2018, 08:20:28 PM
Reply #3131

van der Meyde

Fulham and Liverpool are the only ones i think look considerably better after the business so far.
Fulham coming from championship level means they had a long way to go, so i am not concerned about them - think they'll stay up though.

Wolves aren't any more dangerous than they were the day the got promoted to be honest. Bulked out a bit and look like they could trouble the top half.

Most others just seem to have plugged a few holes/replaced players
Potentially Brighton for me, too.

August 08, 2018, 08:28:19 PM
Reply #3132

Evertonian in NC

Shad Khan is one hell of a good owner, having massively turned around the moribund Jacksonville/London Jaguars at the NFL level.  He seems intent on turning Fulham around, too - and not just staying up.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 08, 2018, 08:31:48 PM
Reply #3133

dunkster

Could be an interesting season ahead. Be interesting to see if west ham can gel all those new players together.
For us, I'm just hoping for some signs of progression. There are plenty of other windows for silva and Brands to get the team they eventually want.
Just want to be entertained and forget all about last season.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

August 08, 2018, 08:37:09 PM
Reply #3134

sam of the south

He looks like the lad from One Diection who was bagging Cheryl Cole, so Im sure hell survive

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Henry David Thoreau