August 22, 2019, 11:51:49 AM

Author Topic: Summer signings  (Read 168495 times)

August 07, 2018, 11:01:07 PM
Read 168495 times

Mouse

I'm still too long an Everton supporter to count my Brazillian chickens just yet. But, IF Bernard is finalised tomorrow and we get a half decent centre-half (hopefully Mina but I'm pretty sure there will be someone lined up) then Silva and Brands have achieved a lot more in one window than anticipated through even the bluest glasses.

I was firmly in the 'give him 3 windows' glass half empty camp only a few weeks ago. I had no expectation to actually be fighting the optimism threatening to creep up on me. The Usmanov news has forced me to check out our 'highlights' of 17/18 to prevent wild thoughts of silverware,  European qualification and unlimited funds to achieve world domination in two seasons.

Fair play to the management though, I'd virtually written this season off as one of nothing more than upper mid-table consolidation. Instead, we have a left wing(!), some samba flair and potentially a monster centre half. A little excitement and the dreaded optimism. Not bad.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

August 07, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
Reply #1

Mouse

If DCL goes on loan then we still have Niasse/Walcott as options to replace Tosun. I don't see Walcott as a 'natural' finisher but his pace gets him many opoortunities. Hence his returns for Arsenal. Not worried about DCL, he needs games to show he can develop as a finisher.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.

August 09, 2018, 03:58:42 AM
Reply #2

Mouse

Remember thinking last summer's window was amazing. Strange that I'm thinking this summer's is possibly the best ever because it has (if Mina and maybe another arrive) addressed quicker than expected most of the problems caused by last season's!

Just hope next summer I'm enjoying the luxury of just adding one or two to complete the jigsaw.

August 09, 2018, 04:27:44 AM
Reply #3

Mouse

I was never excited last season. We was clearly overloading on number 10s and not addressing key areas needed. This summer I feel like we've had a proper plan for the first time in ages

Agreed on this summer, Brands has made a huge difference and, from the start, we have addressed our problem areas with what appears to be a clear vision on how Silva wants to set us up. We are also getting players at the right age.

August 09, 2018, 03:16:54 PM
Reply #4

Mouse

High hopes for Cenk this season. He came into a new team and a team in crisis and scored. He has more pace and creativity around him so, depending on how Silva rates him, we can hope for 15+.