July 20, 2018, 09:57:13 PM

Author Topic: He's gone  (Read 6708 times)

May 16, 2018, 06:34:34 PM
Reply #180

Bluedylan

A fan from Liverpool called them about an hour ago and gave them the stats about being 19th out of 20 for shots etc... and thy quickly went onto the Gary Lineker comments about England's World Cup chances.

Yeah I've turned on and a Man City fan was basically telling us we were entitled arseholes. He also used the phrase 'these clubs' about us and West Ham.

It's an extra level of ignominy we have to suffer. Not only have we watched mostly dross for the last couple of decades, but we're tragically misunderstood by other people. It's fucking infuriating. The laptop very nearly went through the back window.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 16, 2018, 06:37:16 PM
Reply #181

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah I've turned on and a Man City fan was basically telling us we were entitled arseholes. He also used the phrase 'these clubs' about us and West Ham.

It's an extra level of ignominy we have to suffer. Not only have we watched mostly dross for the last couple of decades, but we're tragically misunderstood by other people. It's fucking infuriating. The laptop very nearly went through the back window.

And I bet he wasn't supporting City when they were down in Divvy 1 with Nicky Weaver in goal the Nouvu Rich pleb
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:41:12 PM by Brownie20 »
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

May 16, 2018, 06:37:18 PM
Reply #182

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Any of you fuckers gonna call Talksport and put these arseholes in the picture then? Rambo?

I'd love to but I'm in work and would rather not have a disciplinary because I've used the work phone to call Bob Mills a cunt.

May 16, 2018, 06:43:44 PM
Reply #183

Toffee1

Once I knew that Allardyce was gone and heard a few of the callers, I turned off the radio and went outside and cleared a load of weeds and crap from my garden and thought this is what the club I love has done and to hell with all those who think they know better.

They definitely, would not want him as their manager and although to the uninformed it looks harsh, we won't get where we want to be without making changes. The club has started the summer off well and now we need a good managerial appointment and Marcel Brands to be announced damn quick.

The future looks a hell of a lot brighter today than it did on Monday. These so-called experts and fans of other clubs will soon have something else to moan about.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:45:09 PM by Toffee1 »

May 16, 2018, 06:47:16 PM
Reply #184

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Really wish people would stop equating this to a entertainment vs results debate in the media.

There's much more to it than us just wanting us to play 'sexy football'

May 16, 2018, 06:52:27 PM
Reply #185

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
https://twitter.com/rogbennett/status/996693902076923904

This guy gets it to be fair.
I say 3 points are all that's important. But that's when faced with the "entertainment" argument.

But, fuck me, i walk out of the old girl feeling 10 foot tall when we've been tenacious, passionate and each player has stood their ground, been counted and fought for the other players.

May 16, 2018, 07:00:56 PM
Reply #186

AllyBlue14

The thing is, the change had to come sooner or later. We could've kept him for next season, played the same low-risk low-reward stuff and finished somewhere between 8th to 10th place. But then what? Keep him on again, increase the age of the squad and set ourselves back another couple of years?

It's easy to look back now and say we could've appointed anyone to keep us up. I think Allardyce has done a solid, if unspectacular, job but he shored us up when we needed it most and took us to higher than we probably deserved.

If results and performances had shown signs of a brighter future, I'd have had no problem keeping him on. And while the results were ok, the performances were absolute bilge, week in week out.

Other clubs won't like it because there's a chance we'll be competing on a higher level to them. Pundits won't like it because Allardyce is their friend. I'd really like us to maintain/recapture our image of a well-run club, but if the media/public had their way, we'd be the unambitious little whipping boys who dare to aspire to the top half every year or 2.

May 16, 2018, 07:13:43 PM
Reply #187

Evertonian in NC

There is a fuckton of risk in hollowing out/aging the roster even one more season.  Two would be tantamount to suicide, unless the next manager was a magician.  Quite easy for rot to set in and not catch it until it's too late.

Even the ones in the media who aren't buddy-buddy with Allardyce get lots of clicks from his articles, because he pisses people off so much.  And clicks rule the modern media world.  As usual, follow the money.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

May 16, 2018, 07:19:18 PM
Reply #188

SANA_DR0

time to celebrate, and change my avatar. :D
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

May 16, 2018, 07:23:23 PM
Reply #189

Lxxx

I've literally just said the only way to change perceptions is to appoint a forward thinking manager and challenge in the top six and for trophies consistently and you've said thats not true, but then agreed by saying that's exactly what Spurs have done?

You said the only way the perception of our club has been damaged is by not challenging the top 6. I would argue that by employing a football dinosaur and playing god awful football, whilst now being seen as ungrateful by most of his mates in the media for binning him instead of thanking him for getting us to 8th, might not be overly positive in terms of our public perception either. Challenging the top 6 is going to be hard as it is but we don't need to regress about a century in our play whilst trying to close the gap.

I'd much rather we try and steer clear of West Ham-type levels of drama and I agree we need to try and mould ourselves into a more dynamic club attractive to young talent from here on in. It'll also help our commercial attractiveness no end as well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:28:12 PM by Lxxx »

May 16, 2018, 07:25:21 PM
Reply #190

Lxxx

I'd love to but I'm in work and would rather not have a disciplinary because I've used the work phone to call Bob Mills a cunt.

It's as good a reason as any though.

May 16, 2018, 07:31:11 PM
Reply #191

Macca77

Bit gutted that the trolls on here have all fucked off, would've been fun to engage with them.

May 16, 2018, 07:33:13 PM
Reply #192

sam of the south

Bad bloo, you mate ;)
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

May 16, 2018, 07:34:02 PM
Reply #193

sam of the south

Bit gutted that the trolls on here have all fucked off, would've been fun to engage with them.

They’ll be back once we lose a pre-season game
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

May 16, 2018, 07:35:16 PM
Reply #194

AllyBlue14

It'd be interesting to know the grounds on which they took the decision. Was it the protests? The survey? Did the board tire of the uninspiring football? Player unrest? Or was it always the plan anyway that we'd get in Sam to see us through to the end of the season regardless and then turn to Silva or someone else?