September 25, 2018, 08:26:17 AM

Author Topic: [News]Blues could unveil new boss early next week  (Read 23014 times)

May 24, 2018, 07:38:44 PM
Reply #300

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Derby are getting 1.8m compo from Stoke for their manager, and stoke sought permission etc., done it by the book.

Do you think when Watford saw that, the pound symbols didn't light up in their eyes and think, how much can we get?
Bearing in mind we allegedly ruined their season.

Its going to get more complicated and expensive, and the longer it drags on, the fewer others possibilities are left as they are all being snapped up.

We'll soon be running to Fat Sam and begging him to come back.

We offered big money at the time.

We offered £1m in April which they also turned down.

They obviously want something closer to what we offered in the first place.

But thatís what the arbitrator will settle.

It wonít stop us appointing him.

May 24, 2018, 07:40:07 PM
Reply #301

Alanvideo

It might just have been the wrong move to the wrong club at the wrong time though to be fair. He wouldn't have been the first person to go to Burnley and think it's a shithole but in all seriousness he was a lot younger, less experienced and he might not have found it a great environment to work in if his family didn't settle after the move. He probably then got offered a chance to return to somewhere he knew and it got billed as homesickness when in reality it was a convenient escape route from a place he didn't want to be.

Not that I'm championing him just offering another view to the widely reported one. 
.................funnily enough I was in the Burnley area yesterday and the countryside is fabulous ,dunno about the town though 
It seems his wife wanted to go back South and he was willing to drop down a division to do so.
Doesn't sound like an ambitious man to me ,making a comfortable living in a nice seaside town and just has to keep Bournemouth in the PL  for their 11,000 fans. No thanks.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 24, 2018, 07:42:21 PM
Reply #302

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
.................funnily enough I was in the Burnley area yesterday and the countryside is fabulous ,dunno about the town though 
It seems his wife wanted to go back South and he was willing to drop down a division to do so.
Doesn't sound like an ambitious man to me ,making a comfortable living in a nice seaside town and just has to keep Bournemouth in the PL  for their 11,000 fans. No thanks.

The advantage with managing at Bournemouth is that when he does finally retire, he doesn't have to move anywhere.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

May 24, 2018, 07:54:10 PM
Reply #303

Lxxx

Iíve moved away with my family before and other half and the kids hated it and wanted to go back, so we did. It didnít make me any less ambitious, I just valued my family and didnít fancy being a weekend dad while they were young.
I imagine he might have had similar thoughts, plus the south coast/new forest area is a beautiful place to live. Sometimes your job just isnít as important as life itself.

May 24, 2018, 07:58:06 PM
Reply #304

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Iíve moved away with my family before and other half and the kids hated it and wanted to go back, so we did. It didnít make me any less ambitious, I just valued my family and didnít fancy being a weekend dad while they were young.
I imagine he might have had similar thoughts, plus the south coast/new forest area is a beautiful place to live. Sometimes your job just isnít as important as life itself.

All fair enough,  but would surely raise massive questions re appointing him?

May 24, 2018, 07:58:19 PM
Reply #305

Bluedylan

Iíd rather Howe than Silva. Just look at what heís done at Bournemouth, get them the premier league and make them stay there. Silva had some success in Portugal then got fired. If he was that good, why get fired?
Then he had a few good games in England, not even a whole season.

Klopp was fired at Mainz. Loads of great managers have been.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 24, 2018, 08:05:07 PM
Reply #306

Lxxx

All fair enough,  but would surely raise massive questions re appointing him?

People and their circumstances change. I donít know his family situation but his kids may be older, the idea of living in Alderley Edge might appeal to his missus more than the outskirts of Burnley and Howe himself might be wiser and more open to the challenge.

Similar sentiments apply to Silva and his earlier dismissals. They both started their managerial careers earlier than might be expected so it's reasonable they might have ups and downs managing and having big pressure in your mid 30ís. Both will be better for those experiences I imagine and better equipped should they encounter them again.

May 24, 2018, 08:10:02 PM
Reply #307

Ross

Thought I remember something about one of Howes parents being seriously ill and he felt he should be closer to home to support his family.

Iíll be honest if Iíve remembered it correctly I find his loyalty quiet admirable and not something to knock him for.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

May 24, 2018, 08:11:36 PM
Reply #308

Bluedylan

Anyway, it's going to be Silva not Howe. That's clearly just wishful thinking on Everton Mint's part. As if Sammy Lee knows anything about anything. Allardyce complained that nobody told him or his staff what was going on, when they were employed by us. And they're not any longer, so that's clearly nonsense.

The holy trinity of Joyce, Hunter and Bascombe have said it's Silva, and never wavered from it. Brands is still working for PSV. He's meeting with Silva this week to sort out the contract etc.

May 24, 2018, 08:14:50 PM
Reply #309

Bluedylan

Derby are getting 1.8m compo from Stoke for their manager, and stoke sought permission etc., done it by the book.

Do you think when Watford saw that, the pound symbols didn't light up in their eyes and think, how much can we get?

Its going to get more complicated and expensive, and the longer it drags on, the fewer others possibilities are left as they are all being snapped up.

That's all been made up in your own head. Did you listen to Brands' interview at all? You're making up stuff, and then pretending it's some kind of drama or crisis.

May 24, 2018, 08:29:57 PM
Reply #310

Bluedylan

I have to steal/reference this utterly brilliant post from another site, which illustrates a pertinent point re: Silva's career so far and the doubts:

Lets play a fun game of These Managers Aren't Good Enough For Us! I'll give you 3 options which I'm sure will be much more tempting than Silva:

Manager 1: He managed 4 clubs in Argentina, never lasted longer than a year at any and left the last two due to poor results, then spent just 6 months at a relegation fighting club in Spain, then just 6 months back at an Argentine club - what a terrible record! He must be awful! Kept on leaving clubs!

Manager 2: got relegated with Nancy, got sacked by Monaco when they were 17th, and spent 3 years managing in Japan... He sounds like a bit of a loser doesn't he! Only managed in poor leagues!

Manager 3: spent one year each at 4 Italian clubs, got one relegated, left the second because he was tempted by a bigger club, left the third when the were 19th in the league, and spent the 4th year in Serie B.... He sounds a bit rubbish too doesn't he, not to mention disloyal!

Well those are the careers of Diego Simeone, Arsene Wenger and Antonio Conte at the point when they joined Atleti, Arse and Juve respectively. I've picked them as they're relevant now but there are LOADS of similar examples.

May 24, 2018, 08:34:46 PM
Reply #311

van der Meyde

Iíd rather Howe than Silva. Just look at what heís done at Bournemouth, get them the premier league and make them stay there. Silva had some success in Portugal then got fired. If he was that good, why get fired?
Then he had a few good games in England, not even a whole season.
Well Sporting's President is a renowned crackpot, so I wouldn't read too much into that sacking. From https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/sporting-lisbon-bruno-de-carvalho-president-re-election-donald-trump-of-football-a7606676.html:

"To reinvigorate the team on the pitch, in 2014 De Carvalho recruited a 36-year-old Marco Silva, who had just worked a miracle at Estoril, taking them from near-bankruptcy in the second tier up to the Europa League. Silva did very well at Sporting, taking them to the Portuguese Cup in 2014, their first trophy in seven years, but De Carvalho fell out with him. Those sympathetic to Silva said that De Carvalho was jealous of the new manís popularity. De Carvalho thought that, for all the progress, Sporting could do better.

So De Carvalho agreed a secret deal with Jorge Jesus, coach of hated rivals Benfica, to cross Lisbon to coach Sporting instead, with a Ä6m salary offer, far more than Silva was paid. Jesus said yes and so days after winning the cup, Silva was sacked on the ludicrous grounds of failing to wear a club suit at official events. Benfica wanted Silva to replace Jesus, but De Carvalho put a clause in his severance pricing him out of working for another Portuguese club for the near future. Vasco Lourenco, former Sporting advisor, said that De Carvalho was a ďpsychiatric caseĒ for sacking Silva, which made him ashamed of the club."

Sounds like he actually did quite a good job there, eh.

May 24, 2018, 08:57:06 PM
Reply #312

Cereal Killer

Klopp was fired at Mainz. Loads of great managers have been.

May 24, 2018, 09:14:31 PM
Reply #313

KoemansNumberTens

Donít think weíll end up paying them anything. They sacked him ages after we hired someone else for the job.

May 24, 2018, 09:21:01 PM
Reply #314

TheTone

they could also be fuming for giving us actual real money for Tom Cleverley