December 11, 2018, 12:49:11 PM

Author Topic: Lozano  (Read 18904 times)

June 08, 2018, 11:24:03 PM
Reply #135

Toddacelli

I like Bolasie as an unpredictable option and a new headache for opponents - but only as part of a team that is a tight, strong, well-drilled unit because at that point he's a bit of a luxury and it almost doesn't matter what he does.

Having a Bolasie who is erratic, unpredictable, unreliable, superb and/or woeful all in one go - is no good at all when the rest of the team are also headless chickens - it just doesn't work that way.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

June 08, 2018, 11:44:06 PM
Reply #136

Juanito

I like Bolasie as an unpredictable option and a new headache for opponents - but only as part of a team that is a tight, strong, well-drilled unit because at that point he's a bit of a luxury and it almost doesn't matter what he does.

Having a Bolasie who is erratic, unpredictable, unreliable, superb and/or woeful all in one go - is no good at all when the rest of the team are also headless chickens - it just doesn't work that way.

Basically an option from the bench or start in League cup games.

June 09, 2018, 12:33:16 AM
Reply #137

kramer0

[Sorry in advance for the long list here. Especially for mobile app users.]

I think Lookman deserves a chance to make the left wing role his own before we look to the transfer market. It was an admittedly small sample size (579 minutes) but he contributed 0.89 expected goals + assists per 90 minutes in his time at Leipzig.

Expected goals assigns a value between 0 and 1 to each shot the player takes based on things like location and shot type. A tap in from close range would be close to 1 while a shot from halfway line would be close to 0. The aforementioned number (0.89) is the sum of expected goals from shots Lookman took and expected assists from passes Lookman made that led to a shot (adjusted to the length of one match).

To provide context for that number, here is a list of the other players who played at least 500 minutes last season and contributed at least 0.8 expected goals + assists per 90 minutes in the "Big 5" leagues (from Understat):

Salah
Kane
Aguero
Sterling
Gabriel Jesus
Giroud
Solanke
Messi
Ronaldo
Suarez
Bale
Benzema
Cheryshev
Lewandowski
Aubameyang
Luka Jovic
Cavani
Thauvin
Neymar
Mbappe
Di Maria
Mitroglou
Jovetic
N'Jie
Payet

Obviously, there a few names that don't look like they belong there but otherwise, the list pretty much reads like the best attacking players in the top European leagues.

I'm not saying Lookman is at the level of all those names based on 579 minutes in the Bundesliga but it certainly suggests that he deserves a serious look, especially given that we already own him and all. Given the amount of work the squad needs, we should be trying to use what we have wherever possible.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:36:48 AM by kramer0 »

June 09, 2018, 12:56:38 AM
Reply #138

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Maybe buy Lozano as a back up to Lookman then ;)

I would like to see him given the chance for sure. He was quite inconsistent for us, but never really got a good run going. Plus he's young still. But the 6 months in Germany would certainly have helped him be a better player.

Really want to see us sign a commanding center midfielder and center back. Those positions are key this summer. Plus a decent back up striker (or better striker) for Cenk.
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Dont wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Barack Obama

June 09, 2018, 01:43:07 AM
Reply #139

KoemansNumberTens

I think lookman is our most talented player. Probably the only 1 with potential to play for a top team. Think he has to be given every opportunity to win a regular place in the side next season

June 09, 2018, 02:56:38 AM
Reply #140

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Always liked the look of Cheryshev actually.

Also, not that I wouldnt look to the window but Id be much more confident binning bolasie..
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

June 09, 2018, 04:27:47 AM
Reply #141

Makis

Soo, is Kramer saying he's happy with the wingers we have? No need to sign anyone?

June 09, 2018, 04:46:40 AM
Reply #142

Cereal Killer

Soo, is Kramer saying he's happy with the wingers we have? No need to sign anyone?

I think he's saying we should have signed Giroud....  ;)

June 09, 2018, 05:12:14 AM
Reply #143

Bluedylan

Think hes saying Lookman potentially has a very high ceiling, which I wholeheartedly agree with.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

June 09, 2018, 05:37:10 AM
Reply #144

kramer0

Im saying Id take it slow this summer. If Lookman shows that hes up to the job this preseason theres no reason to block his opportunities with a more expensive player. He needs regular minutes (and good coaching) to improve, not extra competition.

Ill add that progression from midfield to the final third is our biggest attacking issue. Id focus on solving that problem before looking at new forwards/wingers.

June 09, 2018, 01:40:31 PM
Reply #145

stirlingblue

Doesnt Lozano play on the right anyway?

June 09, 2018, 02:37:53 PM
Reply #146

Juanito

The two of them could interchange if we get what we want, those two up top, ideally with another speed merchant.

June 09, 2018, 02:49:15 PM
Reply #147

dunkster

Can't assume that Walcott will stay injury free this season
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

June 09, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
Reply #148

Makis

Im saying Id take it slow this summer. If Lookman shows that hes up to the job this preseason theres no reason to block his opportunities with a more expensive player. He needs regular minutes (and good coaching) to improve, not extra competition.

Ill add that progression from midfield to the final third is our biggest attacking issue. Id focus on solving that problem before looking at new forwards/wingers.
Currently our wingers are Walcott, Bolasie, Lookman and Mirallas.  Mirallas is almost certainly off and Walcott does have a history of injuries so conceivably if no wingers are brought in we could be looking at playing large parts of the season with just Lookman and Bolasie and hoping neither is injured. And of course there are rumours Bolasie is off as well.

Added problem is Lookman hasn't so far shown any signs of someone who can play a high-pressing game.

June 09, 2018, 03:11:47 PM
Reply #149

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think hes got a good point but is taking his rational soccernomics schtick a bit too far.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.