November 15, 2018, 05:31:56 AM

Author Topic: Ramiro Funes Mori in talks to leave Everton, £10m deal  (Read 5445 times)

May 30, 2018, 04:14:58 AM
Reply #60

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He’s of the age where if a player isn’t guaranteed to start (or first change) then no problem with moving on and trying with someone else.

Goal threat is pretty useless for a CB if you’re only playing 10 games max; and is there a point in using minutes that could develop Holgate (or equivalent).

Exactly. Those mins would either be safer in the hands of Jags or aid development of Holgate and/or another prospect. Either way I can’t see a pro in keep Ming him if there’s money on the table. I’d even take a modest loss on him.

May 30, 2018, 05:37:39 AM
Reply #61

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He’s of the age where if a player isn’t guaranteed to start (or first change) then no problem with moving on and trying with someone else.

Goal threat is pretty useless for a CB if you’re only playing 10 games max; and is there a point in using minutes that could develop Holgate (or equivalent).

Is he not demonstrably better than Holgate with superior physical abilities
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 30, 2018, 07:00:49 AM
Reply #62

kramer0

Is he not demonstrably better than Holgate with superior physical abilities

Maybe better (I don't think so but maybe). But definitely not by any significant margin.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:40:10 AM by kramer0 »

May 30, 2018, 01:09:19 PM
Reply #63

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, just if we’re being particularly ruthless re planning for the future, how much time do we invest in 27 year olds who aren’t reliable, whereas there might be an upside in a 21/22 year old who isn’t reliable.

May 30, 2018, 01:37:26 PM
Reply #64

dunkster

I think if there are question marks over silvas defensive record (and there is)..that getting a ready made, more experienced defence in place is safer than his ability to coach,/improve young 20-22 year olds.
If the wheels start falling off at the back it will have a significant effect on our midfield pushing forwards.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 30, 2018, 02:17:01 PM
Reply #65

Macca77

Can you imagine if we sell Mori and keep Williams though, kin hell!

May 30, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
Reply #66

dunkster

Was just a little bit sick in my mouth there.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

"what is it about good sex that's makes me have to crap?.............you sure rattled something loose tiger" - KINGPIN
"that's a lovely accent you have there..New Jersey?" "no Austria" "Austria!!!..Well gud-day mate..lets put another shrimp on the barbey. DUMB AND DUMBER

May 30, 2018, 02:48:43 PM
Reply #67

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I think if there are question marks over silvas defensive record (and there is)..that getting a ready made, more experienced defence in place is safer than his ability to coach,/improve young 20-22 year olds.
If the wheels start falling off at the back it will have a significant effect on our midfield pushing forwards.

Yes there would be an argument for that if the 27 year old defenders were solid but unspectacular players who you could put out and not worry what they’re going to do, while you concentrate on other areas.

Aside from Jags, we don’t have that. So if we’re left with unreliable older players or unreliable younger players, if we’re being longer term, the latter option is more sensible.

May 30, 2018, 03:04:50 PM
Reply #68

dunkster

Yes there would be an argument for that if the 27 year old defenders were solid but unspectacular players who you could put out and not worry what they’re going to do, while you concentrate on other areas.

Aside from Jags, we don’t have that. So if we’re left with unreliable older players or unreliable younger players, if we’re being longer term, the latter option is more sensible.

I think what I'm getting at is that we obviously need to buy in defenders, or do something back there. I personally would like us to spend a decent chunk getting in players in their prime for now. A holgate/Keane partnership makes me want to start breathing into a paper bag.
[]mcjVWM5etFw[/yt]

May 30, 2018, 03:16:50 PM
Reply #69

Juanito

I am so surprised at how pedestrian and slow Keane is. Every movement is like a 50 year old man playing a game of football after a running a half marathon the day before.

Would not mind seeing Keane and Williams both go and bring in an outstanding centre half to play alongside Holgate with Mori and Jags as reserve.

May 30, 2018, 03:32:19 PM
Reply #70

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
First out the door him
Simply simply lovely

May 30, 2018, 03:52:35 PM
Reply #71

Macca77

First out the door him

Yep, hoping one of the promoted teams come in for him

May 30, 2018, 05:23:03 PM
Reply #72

Toddacelli

What this about “can’t get better for £10m”? So what. I’d rather go out and spend good money on a guaranteed starter, flog this donkey for £10m and spend the best part of that £10m on a 19/20yr old with big potential.

Honestly what’s the point of keeping him? Keeping him around when there’s money on offer is just bananas imo.

I agree with you in principle, but CB's of this standard are as hard to get as strikers. I genuinely don't know that we can attract a CB at any price who would be good enough to walk straight into the first team, no risk and play every game.
So my worry is - we sell him for £10M and spend £40M on someone who is really no better.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

May 30, 2018, 05:25:16 PM
Reply #73

Ramjam

I agree with you in principle, but CB's of this standard are as hard to get as strikers. I genuinely don't know that we can attract a CB at any price who would be good enough to walk straight into the first team, no risk and play every game.
So my worry is - we sell him for £10M and spend £40M on someone who is really no better.
10m for an Argie international is a wee bit cheap in today’s market I would have thought
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

May 30, 2018, 05:28:40 PM
Reply #74

Bluedylan

So you're worried we'll waste the money? That's a different issue, and not a massively convincing argument to keep Funes Mori. It will be interesting to see who Silva/Brands identify to sign in defence.

I'd say we need to be targeting a Davinson Sanchez type. Someone with massive promise in a European league, who might be a bit raw initially.

I'd also persevere with Keane. Still think he can come good in the right defence with the right players around him. Last year was not reflective of his true ability, imo. And since people are giving passes to Klassen etc for a fresh start (rightly), I think Keane should be afforded the same.

Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.