December 10, 2018, 03:19:45 AM

Author Topic: Top 6  (Read 2664 times)

May 31, 2018, 09:08:17 PM
Reply #15

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Top 6 should be the minimum requirement for Silva

No, it really shouldn't and it is both unrealistic and damaging to think so.

Mounting a challenge for the top 6 is the minimum requirement. But finishing 7th wouldn't be the failure "minimum requirement" indicates.

May 31, 2018, 09:25:13 PM
Reply #16

Macca77

Mounting a challenge for the top 6 is the minimum requirement. But finishing 7th wouldn't be the failure "minimum requirement" indicates.

Don't mean in his first season, I mean its something we should be looking at, something to build up to, bridge the gap to top 6, then top 4 and so on..

May 31, 2018, 09:30:04 PM
Reply #17

Mac934

Being able to challenge them and flirt with top 6 is a good start. 7th would be ok next season, with a good cup run in either competition. Europe should be a major target and qualify consistently after that. What we don't want is a bad start and playing catch up. I think Burnley will struggle, Leicester will struggle without Mahrez probably. Who will be the ' best of the rest' to challenge the top 6 other than us?
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

May 31, 2018, 09:31:22 PM
Reply #18

Waltzer

Im expecting a really good season, think we'll take a few teams by surprise. Silva seems very meticulous in his planning, without any European football I think he'll get the opportunities to thoroughly prepare and have us well set. It'll be similar to Martinez I think in that regard, but then how he transitions the second year will be more difficult.

Im not saying hes another Martinez, but there are similarities, from what ive read, in their meticulous approach that means we will do well in the first year imo

May 31, 2018, 09:33:43 PM
Reply #19

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Don't mean in his first season, I mean its something we should be looking at, something to build up to, bridge the gap to top 6, then top 4 and so on..

Ah, in that case yes.
If he hasn't obtained a top 6 position over the length of his current contract then i would agree we would need to start the search again. (Barring some silverware, which i'd prefer anyway)

May 31, 2018, 09:39:30 PM
Reply #20

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Phew!

You need to be careful lashing the word ‘minimum’ around mate!
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

May 31, 2018, 09:51:37 PM
Reply #21

Bluedylan

I'll take top 7/8, playing some progressive football, developing the young players and improving the squad.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

May 31, 2018, 10:00:13 PM
Reply #22

van der Meyde

I'll take top 7/8, playing some progressive football, developing the young players and improving the squad.
Definitely. If we're talking minimum requirements, then top 8 minimum is more realistic.

8th would also probably be a disappointment, but more understandable if we're developing/playing young players at the time.

May 31, 2018, 10:00:43 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

It's more a combination of the bottom end of the top 6 potentially falling away coupled with our improvement rather than us suddenly hitting the ground running under a completely new setup.

May 31, 2018, 10:01:05 PM
Reply #24

Macca77

I just want to media darlings to stop referring to us as the best of the rest

May 31, 2018, 10:12:21 PM
Reply #25

Fynci

If we finished third they would simply change the goalposts and talk about the big two!

May 31, 2018, 10:22:30 PM
Reply #26

Alanvideo

..........................they already have .It's Burnley now.
We are special ,we are Everton.

May 31, 2018, 10:22:33 PM
Reply #27

School of Science

Would agree, but would like to see a better style of football to the shite we have witnessed this season. Would like us to have a go against the upper tier teams like Martinez in his first year and maybe a decent cup run. Realistically the balance of our team is poor, we do lack pace and technical ability and we have to offload a fair few players who are not up to it. He must be given time.
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

May 31, 2018, 10:32:09 PM
Reply #28

BigJoe

Would agree, but would like to see a better style of football to the shite we have witnessed this season. Would like us to have a go against the upper tier teams like Martinez in his first year and maybe a decent cup run. Realistically the balance of our team is poor, we do lack pace and technical ability and we have to offload a fair few players who are not up to it. He must be given time.
Decent cup run could be possible and I would like to see the League cup taken seriously. It's only around six matches and Europa League qualification if you win it then see where we are in the league after that.

May 31, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
Reply #29

Martip

This. Must see improvement in performances and direction throughout the club.