July 18, 2018, 11:54:58 PM

Author Topic: [News]Is VAR ruining the game?  (Read 1285 times)

July 11, 2018, 08:24:44 PM
Read 1285 times

Everton News

Is VAR ruining the game?

The impact of VAR on football will continue to be a question that divides opinion amongst the fans.

Source: Is VAR ruining the game?

July 11, 2018, 08:32:05 PM
Reply #1

Bluedylan

No, it's been brilliant. They just need to apply it better, and work out the necessary protocols around it (which trialling it properly before the WC would've achieved).

I read or heard somewhere that during the WC, VAR has improved the amount of correct decision making by the officials from 93% to 95%. I'll try to find where I saw that, so I can post it.

EDIT: It's not in this WC, it's the pre-WC trials that were done, but it took the correct decision percentage from 93% to 98.8% - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11295403/has-var-worked-statistics-behind-worldwide-use-show-positives
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:35:19 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 11, 2018, 08:37:33 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

I don't think it divides fans at all. I think it's been a success. The only few issues we had were instances where the video referees didn't bother to indicate to the referee that he needed to view it to give his opinion. They just outsourced one decision maker for another and they got in wrong a few times, instead of utilising the option of getting the ref over to give his opinion. Apart from that it makes the game a lot fairer with a lot more correct decisions.

July 11, 2018, 08:39:54 PM
Reply #3

blue slug

I like VAR just needs to be utilised better and more coherently I think

July 11, 2018, 08:45:16 PM
Reply #4

Macca77

It's not getting used in the Prem this season is it?

July 11, 2018, 08:47:11 PM
Reply #5

Bingham Boy

It'll be an excuse to find fault against goals scored against Liverpool, and as a means to find any contact on a Liverpool player in order to give them a penalty.

July 11, 2018, 08:48:29 PM
Reply #6

TheTone

They are on the right track but the process needs more efficiency

July 11, 2018, 08:55:25 PM
Reply #7

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah, there was a tendency towards suggestion bias early on in the tournament (a few refs seemed to give a decision because they'd been asked to look at it, indicatingt hey must have msised something).
But it seems they all had a debrief and that's stopped now.

VAR doesn't make the decisions though, i just think maybe the VAR refs should utterly impartial to decisions. Simply notify the ref that there seems to have been a XXX and ask for a review. As opposed to "you missed an elbow there".

July 11, 2018, 09:55:30 PM
Reply #8

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I didn't like the idea at first but seeing how it's worked in this world cup, I'm on board with it.

It replaces controversy with anticipation of what's going to be the decision.
"I wouldn't be up here if I hadn't failed a million times." Nick Foles

July 11, 2018, 10:02:55 PM
Reply #9

bluenuck

It's already been mentioned. The application of it is what needs fixing. Don't know why it takes so long and don't know how the ref makes the decision whether to use it or not?

July 11, 2018, 10:06:14 PM
Reply #10

Simon Paul

Administrator
It's already been mentioned. The application of it is what needs fixing. Don't know why it takes so long and don't know how the ref makes the decision whether to use it or not?

he's the man on the pitch, he has to have final say or he loses credibility.

July 11, 2018, 11:37:12 PM
Reply #11

bluenuck

he's the man on the pitch, he has to have final say or he loses credibility.

That's fine.

But I think the higher ups need to put in place what can be challenged and what can't. Makes it much easier for the ref.

In the NHL and MLB there are only certain plays that you can challenge with the replay system. So you don't have this sort of chaos out on the field when something happens like we do with VAR.

July 12, 2018, 08:08:11 AM
Reply #12

Jamokachi

Based on the A League it's fucking atrocious and should be killed with fire.

Based on the WC, it has potential to work.

July 12, 2018, 05:59:21 PM
Reply #13

AllyBlue14

Anything that helps get the right decision is worth sticking with. It's one thing being beaten fairly and squarely, but losing to incompetent refereeing hurts even more - there are so many incidents in the derbies alone that would've been overturned with VAR. Unless the panel is Danny Murphy, Jamie Redknapp and Brian Barwick.

It'd also be nice to see it used to stamp out the general petulance: diving, rolling around in faux agony, time-wasting, bitch-slapping etc. and the penalties awarded for those more severe. I also like the rugby way of stopping the clock if there's a pause in play; that way, there's no question over how long should be added on at the end.

Work in progress, but definitely a positive addition.

July 12, 2018, 06:22:29 PM
Reply #14

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

VAR is the way forward, and after a few years of tweaks it will be bang on. But one thing that pisses me off more than a very, very small percent of bad refereeing decisions, is players acting that they have an injury, cramp, and especially holding their heads - even moreso when you see the replays and a player is hit in the arm, and he holds his head. I'd like to see another lead from Rugby, and allow the "injured" player as long as he wants to roll around on the ground, but permit a couple of medics from their team to come on and deal with them - even if in the penalty box or wherever. It would be the same for both sides, but would stop a lot of play acting, and allow the game to carry on without the ref having to stop the flow of the game.