November 16, 2018, 03:23:00 PM

Author Topic: [News]Is VAR ruining the game?  (Read 1774 times)

July 16, 2018, 02:13:58 AM
Reply #30

Mayor Farnum

I just don't see the need for it. I think one of the reasons football is so successful is because it has the right balance between the best teams winning and the occasional upset. In time, and when the wrinkles are ironed out, VAR will reinforce the advantages the better teams have and upsets will be far less frequent.
It would be interesting to see how many non-match going fans are in favour of VAR compared to fans that prefer their football live.
The only thing I like about VAR is that it wasn't invented before the Wimbledon game on the last day of the '94 season.

July 16, 2018, 02:14:01 AM
Reply #31

blue slug

Is var being used in any leagues this season

July 16, 2018, 02:35:32 AM
Reply #32

gizzblue

If the final proved anything about VAR today it's that despite video evidence  ....and despite not being sure (going back to check one last time made it look worse ref) the idiot referee can still fuck up .
Also why couldn't it be used to card the little diving prick Greizmann for simulation ....they will use it imho to keep the media darlings in the top six untouchable .

It has potential ...but has to be used correctly ..and fairly for both sides ....I've said it before allowing teams say 2 var challenges per half would work better than for random shit only they see fit to act on again like the Greizmann mark spitz esq dive today or Kanes two obvious penalty shouts in the group's ....just for instance .

Born not made a blue .

July 16, 2018, 02:37:32 AM
Reply #33

velimski

Is var being used in any leagues this season

Season after I think.

July 16, 2018, 02:38:43 AM
Reply #34

blue slug

July 16, 2018, 02:41:01 AM
Reply #35

velimski

Certain leagues like

Sure. Doubt it will go below the premier league but I don't know.

It was already being used in some European leagues last season.

July 16, 2018, 03:21:27 AM
Reply #36

Cereal Killer

No - it's reducing the number of errors and cutting out some of the stupid shit, especially defending of set pieces

Could it be improved, yes

July 16, 2018, 03:36:06 AM
Reply #37

bluenuck

It has potential ...but has to be used correctly ..and fairly for both sides ....I've said it before allowing teams say 2 var challenges per half would work better than for random shit only they see fit to act on again like the Greizmann mark spitz esq dive today or Kanes two obvious penalty shouts in the group's ....just for instance .

This.

It can't be up to the ref when and what to use it for. There has to be clear plays that the ref is only allowed to go back to it, or give the teams 1-2 or 3 challenges on any play. Allowing the ref to just make the decision on the fly isn't going to work. Wait till the derby at anfield and the swarm of red around the him while 50k+ are screaming at him. It ain't going to end well for us or any non big 6 teams.

July 16, 2018, 03:50:28 AM
Reply #38

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Let’s face it, the 50/50 decisions generally go to the bigger teams as it is and things do not balance out over the season, it’s a myth that among other things pundits and fans lean on to excuse a close decision going to the bigger club.

Personally, I think it can only help create a more level playing field than we have right now.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:52:53 AM by blueToffee »

July 16, 2018, 03:50:46 AM
Reply #39

Cereal Killer

People need to let the Griezman thing go....

1. If there was no VAR, the ref still gave a free kick, and France still would've scored, VAR made no difference to the situation

2. They aren't psychic, if they used VAR on that before it was taken, where do you draw the line? You'd end up using VAR on every 50-50, every free kick the ref gives. Croatia had a shot, it deflected off Varane but a goal kick was given, should've used VAR? You'd be reviewing something every 5mims and the game would be a farce

3. As they scored from it, do they retrospectively go back and check it was a free kick? Course not

July 16, 2018, 04:11:15 AM
Reply #40

Heisenberg

Its a no for VAR from me. It's going to get to the point were you cant celebrate goals properly because you're waiting for some form of check/analysis. The best moments in football are them last gasp 'limbs' winners, all about being in the moment. I get the points for pro VAR but for me, personally the negatives outweigh the positives

July 16, 2018, 05:13:52 AM
Reply #41

Ross

VAR was supposed to clear up all obvious wrong doings and injustices at the highest level, yet today and many times before in this tournament,  there’s all kind of talking points and possible injustice after it’s been used.

It’ll always boil down to human error or interpretation so for me it’s better to have one man in charge who’s in the thick of the action and Jonny on the spot.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

July 16, 2018, 05:23:41 AM
Reply #42

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I was against VAR before the tournament, but I think it has certainly helped. I don't think as many of the lesser nations would have got through, some of the VAR decisions certainly helped in the early games with penalties etc which probably wouldn't have been awarded.

It's still in its infancy and I agree with @Cereal Killer above that people need to let go of the Greizzman incident. It clearly needs more time to bed in and perhaps 3 calls per team per game would be a good idea as well to limit using it all the time, although it wasn't used greatly in the tournament.

I think also the VAR technicians should have a certain time to communicate a key incident to the ref if he missed it like a clear penalty, a dive or whatnot for the ref to take a look at.

I'd like to see it in the prem and I think it would help the rest of the league more.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 16, 2018, 05:30:25 AM
Reply #43

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
VAR wasn’t the issue today.

It was the ref and how he interpreted the laws of the game regarding the handball.

July 16, 2018, 05:40:51 AM
Reply #44

Ross

“Clear and obvious error”
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.