October 23, 2018, 12:57:01 PM

Author Topic: [News]Is VAR ruining the game?  (Read 1697 times)

July 11, 2018, 09:55:30 PM
Read 1697 times

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I didn't like the idea at first but seeing how it's worked in this world cup, I'm on board with it.

It replaces controversy with anticipation of what's going to be the decision.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 12, 2018, 08:51:33 PM
Reply #1

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
My dad had a pretty decent idea involving it being mandatory to be stretchered off or helped off the pitch and have a minimum  assessment time (maybe 3 - 5 minutes)for any player who goes to ground claiming injury, if the ref deems it necessary to stop the game.
So basically a player who tries to stop a game and waste time by feigning injury will  leave his team a player short for a few minutes.

Wish that was in force yesterday. England would have won that match easily.
“The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Don’t wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” Barack Obama

July 16, 2018, 05:23:41 AM
Reply #2

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I was against VAR before the tournament, but I think it has certainly helped. I don't think as many of the lesser nations would have got through, some of the VAR decisions certainly helped in the early games with penalties etc which probably wouldn't have been awarded.

It's still in its infancy and I agree with @Cereal Killer above that people need to let go of the Greizzman incident. It clearly needs more time to bed in and perhaps 3 calls per team per game would be a good idea as well to limit using it all the time, although it wasn't used greatly in the tournament.

I think also the VAR technicians should have a certain time to communicate a key incident to the ref if he missed it like a clear penalty, a dive or whatnot for the ref to take a look at.

I'd like to see it in the prem and I think it would help the rest of the league more.