January 24, 2020, 09:19:05 AM

Author Topic: Zonal marking on set plays and corners  (Read 1456 times)

July 23, 2018, 02:36:57 PM
Read 1456 times

Lincs Toffee

After watching our last 2 games, I have my concerns with this, I really do think we will concede a lot of goals with this approach, almost every time the opponents won the ball in the air.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

July 23, 2018, 02:41:29 PM
Reply #1

Waltzer

After watching our last 2 games, I have my concerns with this, I really do think we will concede a lot of goals with this approach, almost every time the opponents won the ball in the air.

Not with Mina at the back, hes about 14ft foot tall and will win everything

July 23, 2018, 02:53:03 PM
Reply #2

MmmblueBernard

If anyone figures it out, can they let Daz know....
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

July 23, 2018, 02:54:17 PM
Reply #3

Lincs Toffee

If anyone figures it out, can they let Daz know....
They were getting on my tits last night...somethings never change.
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

July 23, 2018, 03:32:34 PM
Reply #4

The Blue 3/4 of Liverpool

We havent been able to defend set pieces for a few years, so why the feck not try zonal marking :) Agreed with (if) Mina comes in, which will make a huge difference too, as will Pickford, who may not be the tallest, but is good at plucking balls out the air unlike a much taller Stek.

July 27, 2018, 09:08:12 PM
Reply #5

gaz deeside

July 27, 2018, 09:25:02 PM
Reply #6

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Nothing wrong with zonal marking as a tactic, does my head in when you hear pundits acting like it's some kind of affront to "proper" defending. I mean how frequently do defenders lose the man they're marking, but you'll never hear them saying "man marking is a load of rubbish" every time that happens.

That said it needs practice and it needs the players to understand their roles and to command their zone. It's not surprising that it's not working great after just a handful of friendlies, it needs time to make it work.

I think putting our defensive problems down to zonal marking is a big red herring to be honest.

July 27, 2018, 09:32:31 PM
Reply #7

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
This is going to be a recurring conversation this year. This thread will break 30 pages no problem.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 27, 2018, 09:37:21 PM
Reply #8

Fynci

Posted elsewhere but I hope Silva is flexible as I cant see it working with our current team.

July 27, 2018, 09:40:55 PM
Reply #9

Evertonian in NC

Nothing wrong with zonal marking as a tactic, does my head in when you hear pundits acting like it's some kind of affront to "proper" defending. I mean how frequently do defenders lose the man they're marking, but you'll never hear them saying "man marking is a load of rubbish" every time that happens.

That said it needs practice and it needs the players to understand their roles and to command their zone. It's not surprising that it's not working great after just a handful of friendlies, it needs time to make it work.

I think putting our defensive problems down to zonal marking is a big red herring to be honest.

Think the main problem is we have been playing with shittastic defenders.  That fucks up any system.
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin

July 27, 2018, 09:45:59 PM
Reply #10

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Think you may well see this become quite popular if the refs carry on with the pens like they did at the world cup
Simply simply lovely

July 27, 2018, 09:48:05 PM
Reply #11

Lincs Toffee

This is going to be a recurring conversation this year. This thread will break 30 pages no problem.
Will be the first of mine that will ever has !

July 27, 2018, 09:56:37 PM
Reply #12

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
Not with Mina at the back, hes about 14ft foot tall and will win everything

And farts lighting bolts out of his arse...
The best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Dont wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope. Barack Obama

July 27, 2018, 10:03:30 PM
Reply #13

Cereal Killer

Think you may well see this become quite popular if the refs carry on with the pens like they did at the world cup

This

The 'man marking' tends to work by the defenders holding/blocking/dragging down the opposition rather than having any interest in winning the ball

Zonal marking will force them to actually head the ball

July 27, 2018, 10:09:49 PM
Reply #14

Evertonian in NC

And farts lighting bolts out of his arse...

The morning after beak is a bitch.  Ahem, so I've heard.  :D
"Pardon me, I have nothing to say." - George Carlin