September 21, 2018, 01:43:24 PM

Author Topic: Starting XI for new season  (Read 3709 times)

July 27, 2018, 05:51:37 PM
Reply #105

Bluedylan

There’s no justification in thinking we’re in danger of relegation.

Think about it logically. Where have nine teams below us strengthened enough to be better than Everton?

Where have we weakened from last season for us to drop nine places in the league?

Also Burnley are about to go into the Europa League fixture nightmare. See if they can still grind out 1-0s in the Prem every week. Highly doubt it.

No one knows what West Ham will be like. Impressive signings on paper, but you could see that falling apart by Chrimbo in a very West Ham kind of way.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

July 27, 2018, 06:10:20 PM
Reply #106

Dr. Sponge

I’ve changed my mind.

Pickford

Coleman ??? ??? Baines

Schneiderlin
Sig  Dowell

Walcott Tosun Richarlson

July 27, 2018, 06:14:03 PM
Reply #107

Macca77

7 or 8th again, I'd settle for that to be honest. Just hope our fans arn't expecting to much this season, rebuilding jobs take time, need to get behind the manager and the team.

July 27, 2018, 06:21:12 PM
Reply #108

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Rumours that Walcott wants out

That would be decent if we could replace with someone younger.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 27, 2018, 06:23:42 PM
Reply #109

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
The back four we had last year

Kenny Williams Keane Cuco

That’s a relegation back four no problem, absolutely no doubt in my mind that back four is a stinker.

The back four we will have this year will be infinitely better almost by default. Coleman drags it up on his own.

I’m not concerned about relegation at all, however it’s more likely than winning the league I’ll say that much. We were in danger last year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:36:40 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

July 27, 2018, 06:59:21 PM
Reply #110

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Could really do with a @GLewis dose of reason and tranquillity to help me out here.

Well...

Didn’t watch last night so not commenting on that.

The issue with “flapping” is that the tendency is to take a bad example (Jags getting knocked over in a nothing game) and use that as the average performance level.

The same with Keane for the goal vs Porto.

Is Jags the same as 5-10 years ago? Obviously not.

Is he better than a lot of PL dross? Yes, as was seen last year.

You have to factor in that other teams’ players make mistakes too.

Is Keane worth £30m in the last year of his deal?

No.

But equally he’s not the worst cb in the league which is how he’s often portrayed when a mistake is made.

Do we want better? Yes.

Do we need better? Yes to move up towards top 6 (seemingly Brands/ Silva agree too).

But that doesn’t equate to “really struggle”, “relegation team” etc.

And generally coming off the back of a season that was universally considered bad, then why would there be expectations that there’d no bumps on the road to recovery.

I mean this might be something discussed in November (when it shouldn’t need to be as even that isn’t a long time); but talking about it now is ridiculous. 

July 27, 2018, 07:51:48 PM
Reply #111

.Matty

Pickford
Coleman Holgate Mina Digne
Gana
Loftus Cheek Siggursdon
Walcott Tosun Richarlison

Weve bought someone now so have to think we will buy more
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:55:10 PM by .Matty »

July 27, 2018, 08:28:21 PM
Reply #112

Evertonian in NC

Also Burnley are about to go into the Europa League fixture nightmare. See if they can still grind out 1-0s in the Prem every week. Highly doubt it.

No one knows what West Ham will be like. Impressive signings on paper, but you could see that falling apart by Chrimbo in a very West Ham kind of way.

Burnley could well be in trouble.  Only one of the newly-promoted sides isn't really trying.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

July 31, 2018, 11:43:28 PM
Reply #113

Tofifee

This won't go down well but..............

Pickford

Seamus Holgate NewCB Digne

McCarthy Gana Sigurdson

Lookman Theo Richarlason

July 31, 2018, 11:50:32 PM
Reply #114

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Pickford

McCarthy Gana Sigurdson

Lookman Theo Richarlason

Meh, dunno if it’s just me like but the midfield is pretty much interchangeable. I’m not particularly into any of it.

I don’t really want to see Gana and Schneiderlin anymore, even with Gana in his forward role. Other than that there’s not a great deal to choose from. A lot of our midfielders are similar enough in style and quality to not really warrant an undeniable first team place, other than arguably Gana’s pressing and tackling.

July 31, 2018, 11:51:17 PM
Reply #115

Martip

Pickford

McCarthy Gana Sigurdson

Lookman Theo Richarlason
A lot of pace and threat up front...can see us using Theo there at times if he ever returns from being a hermit.

In my mind McCarthy is not as crazy a shout as some might think especially with the way he like to play 4-3-3.

July 31, 2018, 11:53:14 PM
Reply #116

Martip

Meh, dunno if it’s just me like but the midfield is pretty much interchangeable. I’m not particularly into any of it.

I don’t really want to see Gana and Schneiderlin anymore, even with Gana in his forward role. Other than that there’s not a great deal to choose from. A lot of our midfielders are similar enough in style and quality to not really warrant an undeniable first team place, other than arguably Gana’s pressing and tackling.
I'd prefer fans an McCarthy to fans and Morgan. Obviously prefer someone new in....

July 31, 2018, 11:54:24 PM
Reply #117

Tofifee

McCarthy is made for that role, and people forget how effective he was under Bobby in S1
WAY better than Morgan, and unlike Morgan, you know he will give 100% EVERYTIME

I like the pace of the front 3, I think Cenk will be gone by this time next year

July 31, 2018, 11:57:42 PM
Reply #118

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
McCarthy is made for that role, and people forget how effective he was under Bobby in S1

I like the pace of the front 3, I think Cenk will be gone by this time next year

Plays a different role to Schneiderlin - if he was replicating 13/14 he’d be the one next to a sitting player who distributes.

Have to say McCarthy is better than Gueye when pushed more into a 4/3/3

July 31, 2018, 11:58:37 PM
Reply #119

velimski

He's also injured. Badly injured.