November 18, 2018, 07:20:22 AM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 22868 times)

November 04, 2018, 12:07:54 AM
Reply #45

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Impressed me today to be frank.

Clearly a classy operator, can move with the ball and capable of passing into the box - ball for Walcott was great.

Would love someone to dissect the role heís playing, because itís not immediately apparent to me the differences between him and ganaís roles besides the obvious.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 05, 2018, 06:00:56 AM
Reply #46

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Would be interested to see where he ends up on this, style wise.

https://twitter.com/ashwinraman_/status/1058728566777696256?s=21
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 05, 2018, 08:28:42 PM
Reply #47

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Matic territory at the minute i reckon.
Once he is completely integrated and firing on all barrels, the moving up to Xhaka positioning.

Whether that's sufficient will be down to the system i suppose. Because i suspect that's the highest levels of output we'll see from him.

Yes thatís about where Iíve got him.

Anything like xhaka levels would be superb, and if he stayed where he is now it would be good but not ideal considering heís supposed to be our progressive ball passer.

November 05, 2018, 09:04:42 PM
Reply #48

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Exactly.
If this was 6 years ago, it would be more than enough. Back when overlapping fullbacks were the be-all & end-all of attacking play, you could have a central mid who took a ball, moved it forward 10 yards and dish out a side-ways pass all day long.
That's not today though and there needs to be much more vertical movement from this position.

If he can create 1 direct chance per game and feed players who then immediately create a chance a few times a game though, then i'd probably be happy with that for a year or 2.
It would, at least, stop being a crisis position for us. We could then start organically upgrading, as opposed to the "we have zero option except to buy a player for X position immediately" phase we've been in for to long.

Got to give Silva/Brands an enormous amount of credit for the last window. Bernard being useful enough to free up Richarlison to relieve the pressure on Tosun & Zouma/Mina/Digne means we no longer have any position where we cringe when we think about our options.

Yeah compared to last year it is night and day. Cuco Martina like. 5 at the back v Stoke ffs.

Yeah think Iíd be happy with Gomes if he does that. Heís have to triple his current chance creation but why not.

Wouldnít necessarily spend big money on him however.

November 11, 2018, 09:25:58 AM
Reply #49

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think Jorginho is probably the best conductor in the world right now, so the midfield battle isnít going to be great imo.

If we press he will evade and pass out of it, if we sit back he will do whatever he wants.

Imo - stop hazard, stop willian, stop Barkley, and hit them on the break.

Itís almost a free hit for me.
I think weíre miles away, in fact I think football is essentially broken, BUT, Iím looking forward to seeing what Marco thinks...

November 13, 2018, 05:51:15 PM
Reply #50

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Not fit enough for portugal?