October 21, 2019, 04:09:27 AM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 122013 times)

October 22, 2018, 07:06:21 PM
Reply #240

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Ohh well if Whoscored bloody said so.

Iím not even saying he played badly btw, just think he was OK against a non existent palace midfield & we shouldnít declare the midfield issue resolved yet.

Give yous all a few weeks to get over the fact that he is good looking and previously sat on Barcelonaís bench if you like and we can revisit over crimbo.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 22, 2018, 07:08:35 PM
Reply #241

Bluedylan

His weight of pass is already our best in CM. Not really sure there has been 'gushing praise'. Mostly just people who liked the look of him, and think he can offer something to the team.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

Accattone - Pier Paolo Pasolini.

October 22, 2018, 07:09:22 PM
Reply #242

cantoffee

Thought he was ok, not as impressive as others feel but dont want to be too harsh as it was his first game in awhile.

Thought he was a bit ponderous at times and didnt move the ball forward quickly enough. That's one of the things Davies does well and why he and Gana work together. Davies has mixed success with that but he forces the issue and Gomes will need to do that from time to time against teams like Palace.

Hopefully more to come as he settles in and gets up to speed.

Sent from my SM-G950W using NSNO Everton Forums mobile app

October 22, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
Reply #243

Bluedylan

Don't think they measure weight of pass on whoscored unfortunately.
''In the words of the prophet, today you sell your ring, tomorrow your watch, next week your chain and in 77 days, you won't have eyes to cry with''

October 22, 2018, 07:09:40 PM
Reply #244

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Iím not even saying he played badly btw, just think he was OK against a non existent palace midfield & we shouldnít declare the midfield issue resolved yet.

Give yous all a few weeks to get over the fact that he is good looking and previously sat on Barcelonaís bench if you like and we can revisit over crimbo.

I think most people agree with you though. A

Good debut, showed some good signs, but will need to be a bit better once he's fully up to speed though
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 22, 2018, 07:35:02 PM
Reply #245

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He had a decent debut, all the better for how little he has played for so long.

I've mentioned before that i think current stats are a really poor benchmark for certain positions. I think Gomes is a perfect example of that.
Key passes definitely aren't the be all and end all for certain midfielders.

He showed for the ball all game (more than Schneiderlin does) he would look to turn and carry the ball forward (more than McCarthy does) and tried to switch play (i.e. cross-field passes) to up-tempo, create space and put us on the front-foot (more than Davies does).

Do i think Davies will be a better player? Yes
Do i think Davies is currently a better player? On this showing, probably not.

October 22, 2018, 07:37:03 PM
Reply #246

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He had a decent debut, all the better for how little he has played for so long.

I've mentioned before that i think current stats are a really poor benchmark for certain positions. I think Gomes is a perfect example of that.
Key passes definitely aren't the be all and end all for certain midfielders.

He showed for the ball all game (more than Schneiderlin does) he would look to turn and carry the ball forward (more than McCarthy does) and tried to switch play (i.e. cross-field passes) to up-tempo, create space and put us on the front-foot (more than Davies does).

Do i think Davies will be a better player? Yes
Do i think Davies is currently a better player? On this showing, probably not.

Regardless of stats - against a non existent midfield did he manage to actually do anything?

Game changed when we brought on our best 1v1 player.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 22, 2018, 07:48:12 PM
Reply #247

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Regardless of stats - against a non existent midfield did he manage to actually do anything?

Yes, he did lots. That's sort of my point.
He showed for the ball.
He turned with the ball as soon as he received it.
He looked to make a forward pass and, where there wasn't one, seemed really adept at cross-field play-switching.

He dropped a couple of really good cross-field balls that instantly put us on an attacking foot.
I buy your point that Palace's midfield allowed him space. But i think that is also countered by the fact he will also be well off the pace.

I think you and a few others on here maybe aren't asking the right question.
The question isn't "Is he the answer to that really important midfield question we have?"
the question is "Is the our best option currently for the midfield question we have?".

If yesterday wasn't just about adrenaline and that is genuinely his style of play, then i want Davies to absorb that "culture" and add his own rambunctious edge to it.
The job is to funnel people into the destructive force of Gana, show for the ball, bring it 5/10/15 yards and then get the ball to an assist maker in an area they can do some damage.
90% of his game time should be that. Due to that, most of his stats will look shite, because a lot of them lay-offs are not considered "key".

October 22, 2018, 07:49:10 PM
Reply #248

Dr. Sponge

Hard to tell off just one game. He didnít play badly at all though, retained possession well and looked for the forward pass. The next few games for him will all be about getting match fit, so try not to be too critical of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

October 22, 2018, 07:50:47 PM
Reply #249

Bluedylan

Whoscored rated their midfielders as 7.1, 6.6, 6.4 and 6.0, so I'm not sure it was non existent. Also they flooded midfield with Townsend and Zaha sometimes making it 6 in midfield.

October 22, 2018, 07:59:31 PM
Reply #250

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
End of the day, I would 100% start him next week and I liked what I saw, but he wasnít that good so please donít fool yourself into thinking he was.

October 22, 2018, 08:00:08 PM
Reply #251

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Got three good midfielders have Palace

Ridiculous to say their midfield was non existent.
Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

October 22, 2018, 08:02:00 PM
Reply #252

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Got three good midfielders have Palace

Ridiculous to say their midfield was non existent.

They wanted absolutely nothing to do with the ball at all. Sit back and lash it to zaha asap.

October 22, 2018, 10:26:39 PM
Reply #253

Hesmenos

I'm with Brap on this one. He had a good game for a player who has been out for so long and has never played with any of his teammates before. But some of the praise on here is over the top. What we saw was that he definitely has the technical ability but we don't know if he'll be able to do it game in game out. Or whether he'll be able to do it when put under more pressure than the Palace midfield put him under. There were a couple of times when he was caught in possession yesterday, which if it had happened to Davies would have had the fans moaning at him.
I'm definitely willing to give him the time to show what he can do when match fit and acclimatised to the Premier League but it will take time.

October 22, 2018, 10:30:20 PM
Reply #254

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He was caught in possession yesterday, which if it had happened to Davies would have had the fans moaning at him.

Whilst i am happy to bang the Gomes drum (albeit with the caveats you and @brap2 have raised), i cannot agree enough with this statement.

There would have been very loud groans if Davies had have played the exact same game.