October 22, 2019, 09:29:46 PM

Author Topic: Goodison for Gomes?  (Read 122636 times)

Juanito and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

October 22, 2018, 10:26:39 PM
Read 122636 times

Hesmenos

I'm with Brap on this one. He had a good game for a player who has been out for so long and has never played with any of his teammates before. But some of the praise on here is over the top. What we saw was that he definitely has the technical ability but we don't know if he'll be able to do it game in game out. Or whether he'll be able to do it when put under more pressure than the Palace midfield put him under. There were a couple of times when he was caught in possession yesterday, which if it had happened to Davies would have had the fans moaning at him.
I'm definitely willing to give him the time to show what he can do when match fit and acclimatised to the Premier League but it will take time.

November 02, 2018, 06:30:04 PM
Reply #1

Hesmenos

He's only played 2 games so its too soon to discuss whether we should sign him permanently. Lets see how he does until January first.
From the little I've seen of him he looks great when we have the ball, still not convinced about when we don't have it. He's not really known for his tackling but that's probably not as important now as it used to be. He's also switched off a few times when defending. Against Palace he was at fault for both of their chances in the first half. He lost Tomkins for Townsend's cross, and then completely lost Tomkins again for the corner which led to them hitting the crossbar. I;m possibly being harsh on him as it was his first game back and a completely different league to what he has been used to but if we are going to be spending big money on him then he has be good at all aspects

March 12, 2019, 04:00:15 PM
Reply #2

Hesmenos

I don't think he is defensively good enough to play in a 2 man midfield, or at least not alongside Gana. Gana is our best ball winner by far but has a tendency to wander all over the pitch which leaves Gomes exposed on his own once they pass him. The thing is that most of his career he has played further up the pitch, or at least with a proper DM behind him. That's why I'd like to see him play with Schneiderlin. He wouldn't use up all his energy chasing shadows in defence and can concentrate on what he is good at which is linking defence to attack.

April 16, 2019, 03:29:37 PM
Reply #3

Hesmenos

Watching Mitrovic bullying our center backs, I was hoping somebody would smash him to put him in his place. What Gomes does though is over the top. He has gone to deliberately injure him and could have easily caused him some serious damage. There was a moment a few minutes earlier when they tussled in the Fulham area and it looked like Mitrovic swung an arm at him and Gomes was not happy. It was definitely payback, definitely deliberate and definitely stupid as he will now be banned and it will be justified.

April 16, 2019, 06:00:28 PM
Reply #4

Hesmenos

Funny enough there is three that went unpunished as I can off the top of my head remember...Ally and Kane both same game early in the season(not sure who against) and Davidson Sanchez on a keeper a couple of weeks ago ....all stamps no punishments ....but it's not just spurs ..
Despite this and the numerous transgressions that get no punishment against the top teams (Salahs blatant dive yet again the other day casing point ) Gomes deserves the ban. ..it was reckless and dangerous .
There was the one by Capoue on Zaha and the Jorginho one on Sigurdsson. I think they were both given yellows during the match though so they were deemed to have been already dealt with. Strange rule though as they were arguably much worse than what Gomes did.
I like the fact that Gomes has a bit of needle about him but he does seem to have moments when he completely loses control and could end up costing us if he gets sent off. Remember the Bournemouth match when he went on a 15 minute period of kicking anyone that came near him even though he was already on a yellow. He'll have to learn to control it, especially as he could now be under the spotlight after the Mitrovic incident.

May 14, 2019, 04:04:37 AM
Reply #5

Hesmenos

Regarding Lukaku, when he signed for us permanently we probably where the best team interested in him. We had just had a great season, playing some phenomenal football at times. We had a good core of talented young players and a genius of a manger who many on here where afraid might get poached by Barcelona. Plus he was guaranteed to start every game for us, which at the time was very important to him and was the reason he left Chelsea.

May 26, 2019, 11:27:55 PM
Reply #6

Hesmenos

There's no doubting that Gomes is a quality player and I would love to have him back next year, but he does have his deficiencies. He only got 1 goal and 2 assists last year. A better CF would probably help but in 2 years at Barca he got 3 goals and 4 assists and there's little doubt regarding the quality of their forwards. He also struggled in his defensive duties last season. He was often caught out of position and ended up chasing after his man and giving away needless fouls. Tottenham's equaliser was because he lost Lamela and then brought him down, giving Eriksen a free kick in a dangerous position.

May 26, 2019, 11:52:46 PM
Reply #7

Hesmenos

Just going off what iv'e seen of him here and in flashes have loved him and would like to see him stay and produce it more next season for us
I think most of us would love him to sign permanently, the difference is our evaluation. If its 20-25M meaning there's money left over to buy a proper no. 6 to play behind him then its a no brainer. But as the price gets closer to 40M then you wonder if we could use that money to buy someone who can do what he does but also defend or someone who can do what he does but also be more creative. (How much would Donny Van De Beek cost?)

May 28, 2019, 04:57:20 PM
Reply #8

Hesmenos

Wasn't there one involving Shearer? Where we bid 10 million for him after Blackburn had already accepted 15 million from Newcastle

June 01, 2019, 10:08:09 PM
Reply #9

Hesmenos

That sweet no-look pass to Walcott from the free kick against Southampton.
Thought we where in for a season of clever free kick routines, Schneiderlin back to his best and Walcott to break his scoring record.