December 10, 2018, 06:55:09 AM

Poll

Poll: Which of our new signings are you happiest about?

Richarlison
40 (38.5%)
Lucas Digne
3 (2.9%)
Bernard
33 (31.7%)
Yerry Mina
25 (24%)
Andre Gomes
3 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Poll: Which of our new signings are you happiest about?  (Read 1981 times)

August 10, 2018, 02:04:48 PM
Reply #30

Glory

Marcel Brands and Marco Silva for mine.

August 10, 2018, 02:12:02 PM
Reply #31

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I donít think we have, but is there any danger weíve done the same as last summer?

I personally feel the side is much more balanced. Had you asked me at the start of the summer Iíd have said superstar attacker, younger left back, physical centre back, two if possible, a centre mid who can progress the ball and another attacker - I mean...itís almost perfect, isnít it?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 10, 2018, 02:27:25 PM
Reply #32

blue1948

Got to be Bernard just cause he has bow legs ,they always seem to have a ability turn faster and dribble better ,OK I'll get my coat.

August 10, 2018, 02:28:48 PM
Reply #33

Cozzie

Yep, very good window.

Didn't think we would right the wrongs of last year so quickly.

Whilst there are still some there the crew have done brilliant to shift the deadwood that they have and who they have brought in.

For me it's Bernard because it was out of left field and I feel he could be our Juninho.

Providing all the players gel we will be great going forward this year.

August 10, 2018, 02:31:27 PM
Reply #34

Lazarou

Brands and Bernard for me so far.

Brands because he has got rid of some of the deadwood, brought in young players and got one out of left field (Bernard) which is exactly what I was hoping he would bring, for free as well.

Bernard just looks my sort of player, hopefully he will enjoy it in the PL as other diminutive Brazilians have in the past and rip it up.
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

August 10, 2018, 03:08:46 PM
Reply #35

74Blue

I'm just really liking the approach that M&M have taken to this window, and that they have cleared out some deadwood, replacing with quality signings in positions that really required addressing.
It will be nice to have some pace and power at the back, which Zouma and Mina should provide, whilst also having a little more guile and trickery going forward, which is where Bernard and Richarlison come in. I don't really know too much about Gomes, but hopefully he's a player who will look to move the ball forwards, rather than the side to side drivel that we have had to endure for far too long now.

August 10, 2018, 03:09:58 PM
Reply #36

TheTone

went for Richarlison

would have gone for Bernard if he had an O at the end of his name

August 10, 2018, 04:50:00 PM
Reply #37

van der Meyde

I donít think we have, but is there any danger weíve done the same as last summer?
I mean, if anyone was going to say yes, it was always likely to be either Kramer or me.

I think there is a risk whenever you bring in half a team of new signings, but I think that risk has been mitigated a lot by forethought. Richarlison is obviously a good fit for Silva's system. Given Silva's reliance on wing play, I suspect Bernard will be too. Digne at least has the required energy and experience of playing in systems similar to Silva, even if maybe there are question marks (based on the numbers at least) over how much he'll contribute to our build up. I'm not going to pretend I've seen anything much of Mina, but from I've read it sounds like he's got experience of playing well in similar systems too.

I think there are definitely questions to be asked about 'value for money'. I still don't think we should pretend that costs don't matter - money's a finite resource and anything we waste now affects our ability to improve in the future in multiple ways.

That said, I'm not sure we've wasted an awful lot of money on any of our signings. I suspect we've definitely paid more than maybe we 'should' have for Richarlison and Mina because of their Premier League/World Cup premium. But I'm less militant about that too than I was last season. If they're the best possible possible fits we can get to fill those positions in this system, then I'm okay with it. Digne is probably the one signing we've made where there's possibly a decent argument that analyticsy type scouting could come up with cheaper options.

As for Gomes (and Zouma if confirmed), they obviously fill gaps where we don't have senior players. I wouldn't have minded us giving that game time to our youth players personally, but that's horses for courses. If Silva/Brands don't think Dowell/Davies and Holgate are ever going to be good enough, so be it.

I think it's been a good window though. We've only bought young. We've only bought players only in positions of real need. We've  only bought players who've shown evidence of doing well in similar systems. Well done Brands and Silva, it's a welcome change.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 04:51:29 PM by van der Meyde »

August 10, 2018, 05:11:19 PM
Reply #38

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Have to say I agree with you @van der Meyde - a good assessment.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 10, 2018, 05:43:44 PM
Reply #39

Mouse

It's a tough one, they all bring something we need. I love the idea of Mina dominating forwards and scaring defenders at set pieces. Brands and Silva (plus Moshiri and anyone else involved) deserve credit for addressing all the weaknesses carried over from Walsh/Koeman.

I went with Bernard. Mainly because it was out of nowhere and he brings that little bit of unexpected creativity that we've been missing for years that feel like decades.

Plus, us little fella's need our heroes too!

August 10, 2018, 06:28:48 PM
Reply #40

SANA_DR0

Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

August 10, 2018, 10:35:45 PM
Reply #41

Fynci