December 11, 2018, 01:55:04 AM

Author Topic: Taking a cold stoic view of the TW  (Read 1017 times)

August 10, 2018, 10:57:44 PM
Read 1017 times

Tofifee

It has been an outstanding TW. I don't think anyone will disagree? We, as Evertonians got all we wished for. Positivity is abounding around the old lady.

So, if I may, I just think its no harm to have a look at what happened from the outside, take the emotion and glee out of it for a second and just make a few points.

1. We kept JP. This was huge. This also feels like a big deal as I don't think his stock will ever be higher and keeping him now fills me with hope that he will stay long term

2. Bernard is a real coup. Everton's Juninho we all think and hope. The fact that Richarlason cost so much is now in my eyes negated by the fact we got this lad on a free. Outstanding work.

3. Addressing the defence was crucial. Mina is a superb signing, Zouma as his partner is very pleasing considering the mess we watched unfold last year

4. The fact that 3 of our new signings played for Barca, and another of them knows 2 of them prior, is also a huge bonus and it means less isolation in bedding into a new club. These lads will find the next few weeks much easier with the familiarity of mates in the same boat as them

5. I wonder is Marco a little disappointed he didn't get the number 6 he craved. I don't think any of us see Morgan S starting this season but with Silva regularly telling us how important a 6 is in his teams, the failure to get a new one either means he see's Morgan as that man, or a fit Macca?

6. I wonder where Gomes fits into this team? Will he be the one we look at in a few months and wonder about? Is there a place in the side for him? Hope so, but not quite sure where?

7. Is it a shame we have 2 players on loan with no option to buy? If Zouma has to go back next year will it leave a gaping hole or are we hoping MH becomes that player? Will he get the game time to become that player?

8. Will it be a month before we get our new "first team" on the pitch together? If so do we as fans appreciate this and will we stick with the team if early results aren't what we hope/anticipate?

August 10, 2018, 11:09:34 PM
Reply #1

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Re Schneiderlin that role, yes I suppose he would inherently want a better player in there. But realistically some training ground work is going to be required.

Re Gomes, I suppose it will be if we decide to only play one of Schneiderlin or Gueye, and/ or where he sees Bernard playing.

Likelihood is that three of Gomes, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Lookman and Walcott will be on the bench. Thatís a decent choice of subs and something we need. You have to have confidence that the players to bring on will make a difference.

Re fan patience...

Iím hoping that the evidence of this window shows a plan that is in the right direction.

In reality I think patience will evaporate with any of the old players who are seen to be keeping out new ones. So if things arenít going well then thereíll be a lot of moaning at those players before any focus on mgt.

I hope that we produce enough positive moments in games to keep people reminded of the potential end goal. Things are never right all of the time so you have to be able to point at what you want to do and for people to believe you.

August 10, 2018, 11:17:26 PM
Reply #2

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
It has been an outstanding TW. I don't think anyone will disagree? We, as Evertonians got all we wished for. Positivity is abounding around the old lady.

So, if I may, I just think its no harm to have a look at what happened from the outside, take the emotion and glee out of it for a second and just make a few points.

1. We kept JP. This was huge. This also feels like a big deal as I don't think his stock will ever be higher and keeping him now fills me with hope that he will stay long term

2. Bernard is a real coup. Everton's Juninho we all think and hope. The fact that Richarlason cost so much is now in my eyes negated by the fact we got this lad on a free. Outstanding work.

3. Addressing the defence was crucial. Mina is a superb signing, Zouma as his partner is very pleasing considering the mess we watched unfold last year

4. The fact that 3 of our new signings played for Barca, and another of them knows 2 of them prior, is also a huge bonus and it means less isolation in bedding into a new club. These lads will find the next few weeks much easier with the familiarity of mates in the same boat as them

5. I wonder is Marco a little disappointed he didn't get the number 6 he craved. I don't think any of us see Morgan S starting this season but with Silva regularly telling us how important a 6 is in his teams, the failure to get a new one either means he see's Morgan as that man, or a fit Macca?

6. I wonder where Gomes fits into this team? Will he be the one we look at in a few months and wonder about? Is there a place in the side for him? Hope so, but not quite sure where?

7. Is it a shame we have 2 players on loan with no option to buy? If Zouma has to go back next year will it leave a gaping hole or are we hoping MH becomes that player? Will he get the game time to become that player?

8. Will it be a month before we get our new "first team" on the pitch together? If so do we as fans appreciate this and will we stick with the team if early results aren't what we hope/anticipate?

Think points 4 and 8 are very relevant and well made, both had crossed my mind. We have plenty of Portuguese and French speakers now but Mina is the only Spanish speaker and has no English, am sure he understands football though !

August 10, 2018, 11:39:15 PM
Reply #3

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
With regards Pickford, I only see Arsenal now as potential suiters for him in the Prem. The rest of the top clubs are set for years with their keepers now.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

August 10, 2018, 11:42:39 PM
Reply #4

Toffee1

With regards Pickford, I only see Arsenal now as potential suiters for him in the Prem. The rest of the top clubs are set for years with their keepers now.

They did sign Bernd Leno who is good by all accounts - German international.

August 10, 2018, 11:52:03 PM
Reply #5

blargins

NSNO Subscriber

Haven't really paid much attention to who other clubs have signed, only the main stuff really. So that's good. Should be a keeper for a while yet then.
ďThe best way to not feel hopeless is to get up and do something. Donít wait for good things to happen to you. If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.Ē Barack Obama

August 10, 2018, 11:54:47 PM
Reply #6

Toffee1

Haven't really paid much attention to who other clubs have signed, only the main stuff really. So that's good. Should be a keeper for a while yet then.

He's 26, so a good age for a keeper to develop more but I only knew they had signed him when I saw an article yesterday about Ospina moving from Arsenal.

Leno could be a Jens Lehman for them or a Karius :whistle:

August 11, 2018, 12:08:55 AM
Reply #7

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber

That one bypassed me too.  How much did he cost?
My momma says I'm special.

August 11, 2018, 12:11:42 AM
Reply #8

Toffee1

That one bypassed me too.  How much did he cost?

£19.2 million, 5 year contract.

August 11, 2018, 12:33:11 AM
Reply #9

Juanito

Re Schneiderlin that role, yes I suppose he would inherently want a better player in there. But realistically some training ground work is going to be required.

Re Gomes, I suppose it will be if we decide to only play one of Schneiderlin or Gueye, and/ or where he sees Bernard playing.

Likelihood is that three of Gomes, Sigurdsson, Bernard, Lookman and Walcott will be on the bench. Thatís a decent choice of subs and something we need. You have to have confidence that the players to bring on will make a difference.

Re fan patience...

Iím hoping that the evidence of this window shows a plan that is in the right direction.

In reality I think patience will evaporate with any of the old players who are seen to be keeping out new ones. So if things arenít going well then thereíll be a lot of moaning at those players before any focus on mgt.

I hope that we produce enough positive moments in games to keep people reminded of the potential end goal. Things are never right all of the time so you have to be able to point at what you want to do and for people to believe you.

Re Schneiderlin, he is now surrounded by pace behind and in front of him which could make a difference.

August 11, 2018, 12:47:54 AM
Reply #10

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Re Schneiderlin, he is now surrounded by pace behind and in front of him which could make a difference.

Yeah I like the theoretical player.

Pace in other areas and also that Silva likes to get the ball out wide suits his passing.

Hopefully lots of work on structure when losing the ball will stop us being exposed as often

August 11, 2018, 12:54:50 AM
Reply #11

Shropshire Blue

NSNO Subscriber
Hope people remember this is the beginning of the rebuild and all these signings are unlikely to work out, hopefully most will and we see a sinificant improvement. Interesting point big Sam made on sky yesterday was that we had far too many midfield players last season whereas now we seem to have an awful lot of wingers.
I'm not expecting miracles but I am optimistic we could be on the way.
The other unknown is, of course, can Silva hack it at a really big club.
Interesting times.
The Himalayas has the Yeti, Norway has Trolls, America has Hillbillies. You, good people, are blessed with Shropshire.

August 11, 2018, 01:47:03 AM
Reply #12

BlueForYou

Maybe we'll wing it!

On a wing and a prayer, eh?

The world according to Sam
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

August 11, 2018, 02:00:32 AM
Reply #13

Mouse

Re Gomes, from what some people have said it is just as likely he will be a surprise success.

Re 7 & 8, I was very much resigned to this being a mid-table stability season. In the afterglow of the last 24 hours it is easy to move expectations up to silverware and top 6, etc. But, sitting back with a calmer head, I'm falling back to 'stability with tactical ambition' as a target and seeing anything else as a bonus (at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself).

So, having to give it a month before we see the fruits of the window and then possibly having to target a CB to replace Zouma isn't that much of an ask compared to where I was a week or two ago.

August 11, 2018, 04:10:44 AM
Reply #14

toffee_scot

Have to say, a lot of credit should go to the club and in particular Marco Silva and Marcel Brands.

Quite a few of the players signed have mentioned the vision that Silva had sold to them and these are players who've been playing for Champions League clubs and we were in competition with the likes of Lyon, Chelsea and Man Utd for.

Brands looks like he's done his bit to help identify the players to bring in and negotiate with clubs to sign all in a relatively short space of time.

We needed a left back, central defenders, central midfielder and a creative attacking midfielder, all positions have pretty much been filled.

Moving forward, let's hope this team can gel and click relatively quickly. We still have a big squad but could still get some deals (loan or permanent) arranged for the likes of Bolasie, Sandro, Martina, Vlasic, Pennington, Galloway and Besic.

Things look positive, there is definitely more of a strategy than last season so lets see if this new one can bear fruit.