November 14, 2018, 05:48:50 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 21631 times)

August 18, 2018, 05:34:47 AM
Reply #105

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
God I’m buying into Silva hard you know.

I’m more than ready to be hurt again.

August 19, 2018, 06:06:10 PM
Reply #106

Dr. Sponge

Went with a 442 (ish) again with 2 sitting midfielders. Schneiderlin/Davies being the deepest man at times with the two CBs splitting wide.

Sigurdson is benefiting from being played in this position too, I think this is where he plays for Iceland. Loved his change of feet to draw the foul for the free-kick leading to the first goal.

Not too worried about Tosun not scoring yet, he’s a good foil for Richarlison and Walcott.

August 19, 2018, 06:10:53 PM
Reply #107

van der Meyde

There were at least 3 free kicks/corners which looked well prepared, so I was pleased to hear Carlos Carvalhal saying there that he knew Silva worked really hard on set pieces.

It's the kind of thing that could give us a real edge.

August 19, 2018, 06:12:06 PM
Reply #108

Martip

God I’m buying into Silva hard you know.
This x 100. It was so refreshing seeing the team press so much and look like they really want it. Attacking interplay was quality. My kind if football.

August 19, 2018, 07:47:41 PM
Reply #109

Bluedylan

The value of having a manager that works with players and noticeably improves them through training can’t be understated.

10 of last season’s team playing and they look unrecognisable already. And it’s still very early.

While I do get the comparison with Martinez’s first year, because it feels similar in that he’s getting limited players to play more expansive football, I think Silva’s approach is much more stable and sustainable. I think that because it’s based on hard work, structure and attention to detail, unlike Martinez’s flighty ‘go and dazzle with your natural talent’ approach.

As I said when he first signed, I think he’ll be our best manager since Kendall.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 19, 2018, 08:00:20 PM
Reply #110

Paddockoldie

I'm pleased and confident we're heading in the right direction when our manager brings a striker on for another when we were 2:1 up. Allardyce would never contemplate that. I think we have a good team off the pitch who know where they are taking us and a manager who will deliver the football we want to see.

August 19, 2018, 08:17:23 PM
Reply #111

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He's going to hurt me like Martinez did isn't he the bastard.

August 19, 2018, 09:27:06 PM
Reply #112

Toddacelli

He's going to hurt me like Martinez did isn't he the bastard.

Yep.

And you're going to love it - right up until the moment you don't any more.

And we all will too.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

August 20, 2018, 12:27:00 AM
Reply #113

Lazarou

Really enjoying the fact we appear to actually have a plan being implemented, even at this early stage there is obviously work going on to get the team doing specific things on the pitch that Marco wants. Interchange of positions, defending from the front, wing play, front man occupying the defence to allow the wingers to be involved, set piece routines, triangles of passing to move up the pitch, centre midfielders dropping deep to start the play from the back and also the partnerships being developed right across the pitch. The list goes on.

We really have not been properly coached for years.

Note to self: Pre season really is about fitness.
Everton, ruining the transfer market since summer 2018

August 20, 2018, 01:12:34 AM
Reply #114

stirlingblue

One weird thing I’ve noticed is that Schniederlin (and Besic in pre-season) drops into the ‘back three’ when we’re playing out from the back.

A lot of teams do it, but for us they drop into the left or right of a back three, not back between the CBs like you normally see.

No idea what it means, but it’s repeating and happening with whoever is playing that role so it must be intentional

August 20, 2018, 01:22:14 AM
Reply #115

Dr. Sponge

One weird thing I've noticed is that Schniederlin (and Besic in pre-season) drops into the "back three' when we're playing out from the back.

A lot of teams do it, but for us they drop into the left or right of a back three, not back between the CBs like you normally see.

No idea what it means, but it's repeating and happening with whoever is playing that role so it must be intentional

Yeah I like this, Davies did it when he came on too. The fullbacks push high up we go to a very wide 3 at the back.. must be to put us firmly in possession of the ball ready to start an attack.

The coaching is evident in the types of runs we’re making, the set pieces and the build up play. We look well drilled (not anally) all over the field at the moment, which is a nice surprise after the very shaky looking pre season.

August 20, 2018, 05:08:54 PM
Reply #116

Lxxx

Noticed the nice intricate triangles on the left flank are coming back too. Baines, Richarlison and A.N.Other starting off attacks down that side again. It's what Baines brings you from that position, different angles in which to build a passage of play from.

August 20, 2018, 05:24:16 PM
Reply #117

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Noticed the nice intricate triangles on the left flank are coming back too. Baines, Richarlison and A.N.Other starting off attacks down that side again. It's what Baines brings you from that position, different angles in which to build a passage of play from.

He’s just still so fucking good.

I’m absolutely terrified for us when he finally has to go.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 21, 2018, 12:42:02 AM
Reply #118

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
@kramer0 your mate Ted has us behind Fulham this year with our transfer strategy ‘a mess’
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 21, 2018, 01:28:48 AM
Reply #119

kramer0

@kramer0 your mate Ted has us behind Fulham this year with our transfer strategy ‘a mess’

I respect his work overall but I think he's off with that prediction.

We have the benefit of a relatively settled side (ten returning players plus Richarlison), with the potential to add more creativity (Bernard for a midfielder) and more defensive quality and an extra set piece threat (Mina for Holgate/Keane) with a couple of small changes.

Fulham have only a handful of returning starters -- Cairney, Sessengnon, Mitrovic, and sometimes Christie or Kamara. That means they need a lot of new faces to perform right away. Jokanovic might eventually mold them into an effective unit but I think they're going to drop a lot of points while they find the right mix.

I'm not sure who else is going to emerge out of the mid-table pack but for right now, I'd argue that Leicester is a stronger challenger for 7th than Fulham.