October 19, 2018, 03:55:08 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 15556 times)

September 24, 2018, 02:43:07 PM
Reply #405

Hawkandro

More than likely, I agree. If it was reported elsewhere, maybe you would think there was something in it.

My thoughts on yesterday, if anyone is interested, is that we looked like a totally different team to the one who played against West Ham. I liked the energy and attacking intent we showed, but once again we were hampered by no quality up top. I think DCL is a more direct threat than Tosun, is so much as he can run and lead the line reasonably well. He seems to get into the correct positions and is a nuisance, but he has no composure whatsoever. Few times he looked like Bambi on ice yesterday; hopefully with game time as a No.9 and maybe a goal or two, he will calm down.

JJ Kenny and Digne were both excellent again yesterday I thought; good to see Kenny really pushing Coleman for his spot this season. Thought Davies and Gueye offered more in CM than Gueye and Gylfi did last week, but we are still missing someone like Barkley, who can pick up the ball and take it past people; hopefully Gomes will be that player. I would definitely like to see us signing a CM and a Striker in January.

Moussa Marega would be my choice if attainable; strong and powerful striker who knows where the net is.

Big test is whether we can repeat this against Fulham; I would probably start the same team, or move Richarlison up top and bring in Bernard on the left. Half tempted to give DCL time to see what he can do in his favoured position.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

September 24, 2018, 04:00:13 PM
Reply #406

Lxxx

We're much better suited to playing away from home. The games we've struggled to create anything in are at Goodison when teams sit back and don't allow us any space.

I hope Silva learns from this and, as much as the crowd won't like it, allow Fulham plenty of the ball in their half so we can do what we do best which is break with pace when there are gaps to exploit. He might have wanted to do that against Huddersfield but would have been wary of the fans frustration not going for them at home, as well as not having Richarlison.

September 25, 2018, 05:22:21 AM
Reply #407

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think Sunday was our best performance of the season, and there was plenty to feel positive about.

Look at this defensive action map from twitter (I know, sorry) https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/1044346938496364544?s=21

Despite not having 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch and having two box to box players with an AM in front we made the middle of the pitch really tough for them. Forcing them backwards or nicking it.

We closed down aggressively in their half and kept the pressure on them when they tried to shuttle it out wide.

We had relatively little to do in the really dangerous areas, and although they lashed all sorts at Kenny he nearly passed wih flying colours. He won’t face two like Auba and Lacca every week, thank god.

They won because they have bigger and better superstar attackers. That’s all. It won’t happen every week, and if we play like that again we get results.

Keep the faith lads, Everton are magic.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 25, 2018, 05:28:39 AM
Reply #408

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
Alan Nixon has never written a positive story about us.....ever
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 25, 2018, 01:53:20 PM
Reply #409

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 25, 2018, 05:21:37 PM
Reply #410

plumber

I think Sunday was our best performance of the season, and there was plenty to feel positive about.

Look at this defensive action map from twitter (I know, sorry) https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/1044346938496364544?s=21

Despite not having 2 defensive midfielders on the pitch and having two box to box players with an AM in front we made the middle of the pitch really tough for them. Forcing them backwards or nicking it.

We closed down aggressively in their half and kept the pressure on them when they tried to shuttle it out wide.

We had relatively little to do in the really dangerous areas, and although they lashed all sorts at Kenny he nearly passed wih flying colours. He won’t face two like Auba and Lacca every week, thank god.

They won because they have bigger and better superstar attackers. That’s all. It won’t happen every week, and if we play like that again we get results.

Keep the faith lads, Everton are magic.

I don‘t want to piss on your bonfire, but that‘s exactly what Cardiff and West Ham have done to them. Despite decent results they are average side for the meantime, piss poor at playing out from the back and vulnerable when opposition press high up the pitch.

September 25, 2018, 05:51:25 PM
Reply #411

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don‘t want to piss on your bonfire, but that‘s exactly what Cardiff and West Ham have done to them. Despite decent results they are average side for the meantime, piss poor at playing out from the back and vulnerable when opposition press high up the pitch.

Yeah I don’t think they are particularly good, if they were they would have battered us.

But i don’t think we are any good either so you know.

What I mean is the plan was fine and we executed it fine but without quality up top and got beat by quality the other end.

No matter how average arsenal are, there are many worse sides in the league and in those games maybe our quality will show instead.

September 25, 2018, 06:13:04 PM
Reply #412

plumber

Yes, I agree with you, the plan was good. That gives some hope at least after pathetic game against West Ham.

September 25, 2018, 06:15:48 PM
Reply #413

formerKHL

IMO..the marco effect seems to be similar to what we've had for the past four or so seasons..ie: no plan B..

Marco's "plan B" IMO seems to be no matter what the score throw more attackers on....problem is we seem to be chasing games too often for my liking....again purely my opinion...my plan B would be to game manage more...we lose our heads when we go a goal down instead of composing and consolidating....we're even vulnerable just after WE score....again no game management....

I know different managers have different styles etc but if you analyse the successful teams they all manage their games to suit their style and pattern of play....

we need to start doing the same..

We don't have to batter teams every game (although we'd all love it if we did) 1-0 wins are better than 1-1 draws or losses....then turn the 1-0's into 2-0's etc etc…
Game Management...…...

October 03, 2018, 07:11:52 AM
Reply #414

Shogun

Administrator
Fiorentina used to play a 3-4-2-1 formation with Bernadeschi at right back and got a lot of success out of it.

I wonder if we could do the same to get Bernard more centrally in the pitch without pushing Sigurdsson out on the wing?

Not that it’s going to happen like.

Pickford
Zouma Keane Mina
Richarlison Gana Davies Digne
Sigurdsson Bernard
Walcott
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 03, 2018, 08:48:33 AM
Reply #415

cantoffee

Fiorentina used to play a 3-4-2-1 formation with Bernadeschi at right back and got a lot of success out of it.

I wonder if we could do the same to get Bernard more centrally in the pitch without pushing Sigurdsson out on the wing?

Not that it's going to happen like.

Pickford
Zouma Keane Mina
Richarlison Gana Davies Digne
Sigurdsson Bernard
Walcott
Bruh...

You must be on something. Richarlison is staying where he should - at the top end of the pitch.