November 17, 2018, 01:56:25 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 21856 times)

November 07, 2018, 04:16:20 PM
Reply #495

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Positions for the 4?

From memory were we not only around 20-30m a year in wages less than spurs ?

Not that straight forward I don’t think. By the time we get 2 more I imagine we’d have lost richarlison and Gylfi, Coleman and Walcott will all be very post peak.

It’s more a case of - you need cl level talent distribution balances out across your side. And to really be up there you need superstars on the pitch and superstars on the bench.

One of our biggest issues is we have to start making revenue off players soon because moshiri isn’t limitless, but we also need to build a side with CL talent front to back that in 2-5 years can win something or get top 4.

Brands will be all over it, which is why he’s buying players like richarlison who are 21 and superstar potential rather than Walcott who is 29 and already a faded force not good enough for the next level.

‘Better than what we have’ is no longer an acceptable or sustainable strategy for us, that’s clear.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 07, 2018, 04:50:30 PM
Reply #496

Lxxx

We were there a few years ago so it can be done. We had three players in Lukaku, Barkley and Stones who were young talent who others coveted down the spine of the team. We brought in £150m+ for the three of them (should have been more had the Barkley situation been handled better) but blew the chance to replace them with another three off the production line.

I agree Brands will be all over it. In fact he'll probably be looking for the next Gomes so we don't have to pay £30m+ for him, similarly with Zouma and maybe pick up a few other unloved diamonds in the summer to rinse and repeat. We're going to have to be creative to close the gap and for every Lukaku there will be a few Deulofeu's but at least under Silva and Brands we'll be trying to do it the right way, it would appear.

November 07, 2018, 05:30:10 PM
Reply #497

arteta4spain

I think the problem, which were probably aware of, is that we’re trying to play catch up by some distance. If Moshiri has come in say around the time we were constantly competing for the europa I think we’d have had a chance to really push on. As much as he’s going to hopefully take us that next level, it’s gonna be difficult but hopefully with M&M we should be there or thereabouts :-)
Quietly optimistic but i was when Martinez was doing well in his first season.

November 07, 2018, 06:15:37 PM
Reply #498

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I really think just concentrate on sorting balance and age curve, get he quality above the rest of the league and reduce the amount of variance between our seasons (get back to mid 50 to 60 point seasons) and from that base you can try and have the odd one or two good seasons and with that revenue plough into a superstar to take you next level.

my personal opinion is - the investment came too late and we’ve missed the boat. Those above are entrenched and not going anywhere soon and have way better revenue streams in all senses so there’s not really a chance for us (other than on pitch miracles and force multipliers like richarlison say becoming the best attacker in the league ala Bale / Kane)

the best we can hope for us to solidify that 7th position and start getting 60+ points a season - even that will be a MASSIVE task. From there we have a better, punchers chance of sneaking in one year if someone fluffs their lines big time which happens occasionally.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 07, 2018, 06:49:36 PM
Reply #499

Hawkandro

We were there a few years ago so it can be done. We had three players in Lukaku, Barkley and Stones who were young talent who others coveted down the spine of the team. We brought in £150m+ for the three of them (should have been more had the Barkley situation been handled better) but blew the chance to replace them with another three off the production line.

I agree Brands will be all over it. In fact he'll probably be looking for the next Gomes so we don't have to pay £30m+ for him, similarly with Zouma and maybe pick up a few other unloved diamonds in the summer to rinse and repeat. We're going to have to be creative to close the gap and for every Lukaku there will be a few Deulofeu's but at least under Silva and Brands we'll be trying to do it the right way, it would appear.

Brands was at Wembley last night, watching the PSV game. Hopefully still after Lozano.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 07, 2018, 07:15:45 PM
Reply #500

Martip

Brands was at Wembley last night, watching the PSV game. Hopefully still after Lozano.
How did he play out of interest. ?

November 07, 2018, 07:22:28 PM
Reply #501

Bluedylan

Probly just meeting up with mates and colleagues that he worked with for 8 years, in fairness.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 07, 2018, 09:52:54 PM
Reply #502

gizzblue

Probly just meeting up with mates and colleagues that he worked with for 8 years, in fairness.

Shhhh let us dream will you  :thumbsup:
Born not made a blue .

November 07, 2018, 09:55:14 PM
Reply #503

Hawkandro

How did he play out of interest. ?

I didn't see much of the game. Echo reported he was quiet in first half but made more of an impact stretching Spurs in the 2nd half.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 07, 2018, 11:48:10 PM
Reply #504

Martip

I really think just concentrate on sorting balance and age curve, get he quality above the rest of the league and reduce the amount of variance between our seasons (get back to mid 50 to 60 point seasons) and from that base you can try and have the odd one or two good seasons and with that revenue plough into a superstar to take you next level.

my personal opinion is - the investment came too late and we’ve missed the boat. Those above are entrenched and not going anywhere soon and have way better revenue streams in all senses so there’s not really a chance for us (other than on pitch miracles and force multipliers like richarlison say becoming the best attacker in the league ala Bale / Kane)

the best we can hope for us to solidify that 7th position and start getting 60+ points a season - even that will be a MASSIVE task. From there we have a better, punchers chance of sneaking in one year if someone fluffs their lines big time which happens occasionally.
Totally agree ref us being unlucky with when we came into money but I suppose we need to be clever on the market to bridge any gaps.

The reason why I posted querying how far people thought we were behind challenging for the top 4 is that I was looking at the Arsenal  and Utd starting 11s at the weekend and ON PAPER neither felt uncatchable tbh and these teams would be expected to challenge for the top 4 although may  fall short of course.

Our 11:
Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Zouma
Digne
Gomes
Gana
Walcock
Sig
Bernard
Richarlison

Ars:
Leno
Mustafi
Bellerin
Kolasinac
Holding
Ozil
Torrera
Xhaka
Mik
Oba
Laca

Utd:
De gea
Young
Lindelof
Smalling
Shaw
Fred
Mata
Martial
Pogba
Matic
Sanchez

I'm probably falling into the trap of overating our players and underating other teams but it  doesn't feel insurmountable with a couple of good signings.

I know a big name, big money forward is priority and if I'm honest that is really where I felt we lost the games against both of these recently when we were by no means outclassed.

I'm looking forward to the Chelsea game to see how far we 've really come as historically we always get bummed there.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:49:26 PM by Martip »

November 11, 2018, 07:20:17 PM
Reply #505

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’d have Cairney at Everton you know

November 11, 2018, 07:20:38 PM
Reply #506

Shogun

Administrator

Good player but see Tom Cleverley
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

November 11, 2018, 07:21:50 PM
Reply #507

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Alright Steve Walsh.

November 11, 2018, 07:22:16 PM
Reply #508

Bluedylan

Why?
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

November 11, 2018, 07:27:44 PM
Reply #509

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Because he’s a good player?