August 17, 2018, 08:55:18 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 2710 times)

August 13, 2018, 02:43:30 AM
Reply #90

Mouse

I'm looking forward to the day where we need an upgrade on Richarlison :)
Ah, perchance to dream  :thumbsup:

August 13, 2018, 02:51:14 AM
Reply #91

Dr. Sponge

I agree with @brap2 in principle - as in we should always be looking for the next progression plan. But I think more specifically it's Kenny who needs to be replaced by a young hot prospect, to be groomed (not Saville-like) to how our team plays.

August 13, 2018, 03:26:22 AM
Reply #92

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Didn’t know he was 29.

Have to think what type of player he can be once he loses that explosiveness he has.

I like Kenny myself but he’s not good enough really.

August 13, 2018, 04:16:40 AM
Reply #93

Risky

NSNO Subscriber
Didn’t know he was 29.

Have to think what type of player he can be once he loses that explosiveness he has.

I like Kenny myself but he’s not good enough really.

I think you probably are right about Kenny but thing was he was thrown in the deep end last season where he had to play every game for a long time and in a team playing shit.  I'd like to give him some more time where he can play less frequently and in a team that's playing well before I completely write him off.  Chances are that he'll still not be good enough but I think judging him on last season it a little harsh.

August 13, 2018, 04:26:53 AM
Reply #94

MmmblueBernard

Reckon there’s a dodgy batch of weed about at the moment...
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 13, 2018, 04:35:30 AM
Reply #95

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think you probably are right about Kenny but thing was he was thrown in the deep end last season where he had to play every game for a long time and in a team playing shit.  I'd like to give him some more time where he can play less frequently and in a team that's playing well before I completely write him off.  Chances are that he'll still not be good enough but I think judging him on last season it a little harsh.

The one thing that gives me pause is that kenny’s style for the U23’s Everton & England is very different from what we’ve seen for us.

Maybe it’s the step up in quality and the lack of time on the ball, or maybe physically it’s a more even match at U23 level compared to the prem, none of which is like particularly surprising, but can he get past whatever it is?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 13, 2018, 06:08:01 AM
Reply #96

Evertonian in NC

The one thing that gives me pause is that kenny’s style for the U23’s Everton & England is very different from what we’ve seen for us.

Maybe it’s the step up in quality and the lack of time on the ball, or maybe physically it’s a more even match at U23 level compared to the prem, none of which is like particularly surprising, but can he get past whatever it is?

He's not big enough (or at least not with his speed) to be more than a squad player at our level.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

August 13, 2018, 06:24:11 AM
Reply #97

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Was thinking before about Rooney begin shoehorned into CM by 3 different managers because we absolutely needed someone in the middle of the pitch to show for the ball and pass it forwards.

Really hope Gomes has a bit of this in his locker, and Silva can maybe sprinkle a bit of whatever he used on Doucore on him and turn him into a genuine line-breaker either by dribbling or by passing.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 13, 2018, 01:49:03 PM
Reply #98

Makis

It's a bit silly to think about replacing Coleman. By the time this is required things have changed, probably more than once. It's very likely we have a new manager, maybe there's been more than one change. Obviously it would be best Silva is here for the next 3-4 years but it's really quite rare.

Assuming Mina is actually good and Holgate lives up to his promise we should be set for CB. Digne was signed for LB. If Bernard is as good as we hope then we have a good situation in the wings, althought if Lookman leaves we might use someone else there as well. Walcott is obviously not getting any younger but if he can stay relatively fit he's a decent foil for Richarlison and Bernard. So the position I expect Brands and Silva are concentrating most is centre forward. Central mid could also well be a position unless Gomes is a revelation (I think we have a loan-to-buy agreement with Barca?). Sigurdsson also needs to pick his game up or it will be another position that will need some shaking.

By the time we get to Coleman there have been unforeseen changes. Some players have been sold because they were so good. Some others dumped because they're not good enough.

August 13, 2018, 02:07:25 PM
Reply #99

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Imo Silva and Brands looks very aware of age + wage.

The likes of Gylfi, Walcott, yes even Coleman, are going to have to keep a certain level of performance up. Just ask Bolasie.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:10:39 PM by brap2 »

August 13, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
Reply #100

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think the middle of the park and striker will be the places we address next summer.

The year after is when we need to make a decision about how long left Coleman has (and at that point, probably Walcott & Sigurdsson as well at that point.

However, top European clubs nicking our players will ruin all our best laid theoretical plans and we could be looking for a new keeper and left winger next year instead.

August 13, 2018, 04:24:27 PM
Reply #101

Jamokachi

Imo Silva and Brands looks very aware of age + wage.

The likes of Gylfi, Walcott, yes even Coleman, are going to have to keep a certain level of performance up. Just ask Bolasie.

In fairness though, Bolasie is awful.

I do agree with your point though. We always have to be considering "who next". And that player should always be an upgrade if we are to improve.

August 13, 2018, 05:24:42 PM
Reply #102

Lxxx

I think the middle of the park and striker will be the places we address next summer.

The year after is when we need to make a decision about how long left Coleman has (and at that point, probably Walcott & Sigurdsson as well at that point.

However, top European clubs nicking our players will ruin all our best laid theoretical plans and we could be looking for a new keeper and left winger next year instead.

Hopefully. It'll have meant they've been successful. Until we get to the stage where we're genuinely challenging for something we'll always get our best talent cherry picked. The key will be to have a rolling conveyor belt of talent to get us through until we break the ceiling.