November 19, 2018, 05:03:07 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 22534 times)

KevtheRat and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

November 11, 2018, 07:39:05 PM
Reply #90

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
'Good' or 'better than we have' isn't enough, as you were saying the other day.

Ah fair enough. Not sure how good a player he is exactly I guess but he’s a good player. Should get picked up if they go down.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 12, 2018, 03:00:43 AM
Reply #91

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think Wolves, West Ham and Leicester will all be in the mix for 7th. Have to say Bournemouth have been good as well.

If he can seal that 7th place and give 6th a bit of a long hard look, continuing along the lines we’ve seen on the pitch then I’d say this was a good year.

Give me another Richarlison and a few Dignes next summer and we are cooking with gas.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 12, 2018, 03:34:14 AM
Reply #92

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yes getting harder to see Tosun’s way back isn’t it. Shame because he seems sound he just hasn’t blown anyone away.

Richarlison doing OK up top still, think an upgrade in CM could still be the biggest step forward we take. A top RB to fill the position for the next 5-6 years would be good, and of course a real thoroughbred goal scorer is welcome at any club, but similar to someone above - I’ve no idea what sort of striker he’d want for this side.

Or what we’ll do with the left hand side with Richarlison, Lookman and Bernard all making a case for it.

November 12, 2018, 01:54:52 PM
Reply #93

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Moshiri said we wouldn't be spending in Jan and wants to bed in the youngsters.

But I think replacements for Tosun & Walcott are now top of our priority list.
Jury is still out on Gomes, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have another option in the middle. (Both a defensive & and offensive one really. Gana, Davies & Gomes for 2 positions is insufficient i feel. Especially if we grab a Europa spot)

Yeah can understand him in that we’ve spent and we want to take stock and let the dust settle, but if there are deals there for the right players then we should never say never.

Don’t think Jan is the vital time to make the changes because I don’t think there’s a great deal we can do this year, but yeah centre mid, right wing (unless, Lookman..) and up top all need reinforcements.

November 12, 2018, 04:36:09 PM
Reply #94

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He has an £80m release clause, I reckon we will sort a deal out if he continues as he is doing.

Wouldn’t pay half that tbh

12 hours ago
Reply #95

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Fuck me, I'm assuming City aren't on there because they are so farr ahead of everybody else and off the grid?

Keep scrolling.

But basically yeah!

Worth bearing in mind our numbers are middle of the pack yes, but have been getting better!

12 hours ago
Reply #96

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not massively acquainted with XG so I might be massively off with this post.

From my point of view, teams will score goals every season that wouldn't normally be 'expected'. They may also save certain goals through unexpected amazing defending. Not always the case for us, but you know what I mean.

These should still be accounted for in any statistical model. Perhaps XG does account for them and I just don't know the details. Or maybe that's the actual league table, which accounts for that scenario.

Either way, Silva has given the team confidence, which has resulted in play and attempts on goal that may be recorded against expectations. These may not have been attempted by the players under previous regimes.

Yes all teams will sometimes score goals they ‘shouldn't’ and also miss horrendous sitters - but everyone is in the same boat in that repspect so it doesn’t really matter.

It just takes thousands and thousands of shots historically and assigns touch points to them, then when you take a shot it lines it up against those touch points and says right out of 10 times (or whatever) how many of these have historically usually been a goal?

It stands to reason the best sides create the best chances and the worst sides allow the most dangerous chances against them, but xg is just a way quantifying your performance by quality of chance, and it’s a pretty good one on my opinion.

3 hours ago
Reply #97

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I’ve not seen anything for just the more recent games but if you think about watching us we do tend to give away some big chances against us every game so I expected the xGA to be bad.

The surprise for me initially was the xG as I felt like we’ve been playing well but there has been a few games where I’ve felt like we played well but when you look back at it we’ve not had any clear scoring opportunities.

Even if we stay where we are on that chart I’d expect us to finish 7th as xG doesn’t take into account the quality of the players getting the chances, which is where we’ll do better than the likes of Watford or Wolves.

Yeah we’ve been improving. About 10 pages / a month or two ago the Ram posted that we were about 15th in the xg league.

Our numbers are now reflecting our performances and results, which is positive.

There’s a nice form of graph, think it’s maybe called an xg plot which marks your XG/Xga across a timeline, and marks where manager changes occur.

I’ve been waiting for an update from the account that makes them but basically Koeman/Unsworth/Allardyce - there wasn’t much in it. A slight dip in chances conceded with Allardyce, but results improved quicker than performances. Would be interesting to see the plot with the first few moths of marco’s reign.