November 21, 2018, 10:50:09 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 23182 times)

August 13, 2018, 03:07:29 PM
Read 23182 times

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think the middle of the park and striker will be the places we address next summer.

The year after is when we need to make a decision about how long left Coleman has (and at that point, probably Walcott & Sigurdsson as well at that point.

However, top European clubs nicking our players will ruin all our best laid theoretical plans and we could be looking for a new keeper and left winger next year instead.

August 23, 2018, 02:22:03 PM
Reply #1

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
https://twitter.com/usmanov1878/status/1031961974018658304?s=21

Tom Davies running the show deep in the second half.

Watch our pressing when we lose the ball, and the runs in behind.

We actually look quite good here.

silvaball imminent?..

God, it's genuinely hard to describe how much i loved that clip. Speed, penetration and intelligence for an extended period of time? Superb.

I never bought into the easy argument the media posited against Allardyce "Evertonians like a certain brand of football". We dont, not really - or, not more than everybody else when it comes down to it.

But fuck me, besides a goal-scoring centre half, i think i get my rocks off most by a pair of rottweilers in the middle of the park, hunting and destroying all in their path. Then having the ability to spray accurate balls all over the fucking place, balls that make the rest of the team automatically face and move towards the opposition goal.

August 28, 2018, 03:40:35 PM
Reply #2

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
There are some early concerns.

That paul riley that Kramer occasionally quotes articles of etc. Has generally been quite critical of Silva’s appointment (however - my view is that he is relentlessly critical because that’s part of his open job pitching) and has said this weekend that his prem xg numbers are shite.

However, he’s surely had extenuating circumstances at his other two jobs and here we’ve already had two games of 10 men!

I like a lot of what I’ve seen personally and it is a lot different to Sam and Koeman I hope we can all agree there. Let’s hope it’s a lot clearer he calibre of manager he is after say 10 or so prem games?

Yeah. There's no denying that we are a different force going forward. I have no long term worries about xG, as i trust any of our forward line to create & convert chances at expected rates.

There are concerns. At the back when defending set-pieces and the red cards. If it were just these 2 reds (and goals conceded as well actually) i wouldn't be too concerned. But how many times can a freak occurance happen before it stops being a freak occurance? And both these flaws have followed him around.

I'm happy. But there is still a whiff of "martinez' attacking football after the pragmatic Moyes" about it. (and, before the usual suspects appear. I know Moyes played good football quite a bit towards the end there. I also know that the grass wasn't greener with Koeman)

August 28, 2018, 06:48:44 PM
Reply #3

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Ya gotta give him at least a season (2 windows) surely?

The rot has been set deep in recent times.

you see, i don't really think it has. I think there was a concerted PR effort to make it look like we had a bag-of-shit squad.
But we've only added one player and looked an order of magnitude better all over the pitch.

August 30, 2018, 06:01:29 PM
Reply #4

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I have to admit, the spooning it and then falling on his arse within 5 minutes of the game starting filled me with dread.

But he grew into the game andi'd be more than happy if we bought him next summer. He still has a lot to learn, but is a bit of a kid and has all the tools needed to learn it.

November 04, 2018, 08:30:54 PM
Reply #5

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The lungs on Sigurdsson to break for our first yesterday was brilliant.
Fully love our Viking and would play him whenever possible.

However, there are a few games where our formation may be best setting up with a body further back than he excels in.

November 04, 2018, 10:16:08 PM
Reply #6

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I think Lookman and Tosun are uncertain as well.

January is too tight to be offloading en masse.
Can deffo see deals sending out the other 3 though

November 05, 2018, 08:55:02 PM
Reply #7

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
If Silva hadn’t have been sacked by Watford, who plainly didn’t want to deal with us after turning down a record compensation package, what was the alternative? Keep Allardyce for another year?

Didn't you bring up that "extra year" of Allardyce's contract as a reason it *wasn't* a 6-month hire to begin with?
And now you're using it as a ludicrous alternative that couldn't possibly happen.

Clearly, if Silva had not been fired when he was and was unable to extract himself from his contract during summer '18, then we would have started the season with Allardyce and waited it out.

November 05, 2018, 11:00:14 PM
Reply #8

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
How can you say keeping Allardyce for his full contract is a “ludicrous alternative and couldn’t possibly happen” and then in the next sentence say we’d have kept Allardyce for the following season?

You can't. I wasn't saying that, i was saying that you have said that and was pointing to how your contrary nature has tied your argument in knots:

So we just gave him the extra year of his contract as a bonus then?
Or should that be an added bonus on top of his £2m bonus for recusing us from 11th that is.
This is clearly arguing that Allardyce was given a contract that was legit and intended for it's full term. It is clear that you were disagreeing with @BlueForYou 's suggestion it wasn't a long term solution.

Whereas here:
If Silva hadn’t have been sacked by Watford, who plainly didn’t want to deal with us after turning down a record compensation package, what was the alternative? Keep Allardyce for another year?
You are disagreeing in a manner that suggests you feel keeping Allardyce on for another year is ludicrous.

It can't be both ways.
Moshiri, however, did know what he was doing, and covered his bases with Allardyce.

November 05, 2018, 11:40:02 PM
Reply #9

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Allardyce would have been our manager until Silva was available. That was always plan A, from the moment we approached Allardyce at least.

No way of telling if it would be summer 18 or summer 19. So the 18 month contract covered both those bases

November 12, 2018, 01:41:28 PM
Reply #10

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
Moshiri said we wouldn't be spending in Jan and wants to bed in the youngsters.

But I think replacements for Tosun & Walcott are now top of our priority list.
Jury is still out on Gomes, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to have another option in the middle. (Both a defensive & and offensive one really. Gana, Davies & Gomes for 2 positions is insufficient i feel. Especially if we grab a Europa spot)

November 12, 2018, 05:13:26 PM
Reply #11

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The exuberance of youth. While you are right in that it could've cost us it was also, to me, pleasing to see that we are going to go for it. The best teams in any sport never settle for anything other than going for it. We're not there yet but that mentality is one that wil grow the more successful we become. I always think of Japan v SA at the last Rugby World Cup. Losing by three points they get a penalty last play of the game in front of the posts. Nobody gave them a chance of being within 30 points of SA. Instead of going for the draw they went for the lineout, scored the try and created the greatest  result in Japanese rugby history - maybe even in their sporting history. Be bold.

God, I didn't come down from the roof for ages after that. Fuck me.
I tend not to care about sport other than Everton and England in Union.
But that day, Jesus, I'd have got a rising sun tattoo I was so proud of them.
Pure, unadulterated drama. Everything sport should be that day. Fuck your money. Fuck your stats. Fuck counting points and doing sums.
Win the game you're playing.