October 21, 2018, 09:22:26 AM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 15597 times)

August 28, 2018, 06:38:00 PM
Reply #180

MmmblueBernard

I’ve said I’m not sweating any of it until he’s had like 10 games to see how his system is looking.

Ya gotta give him at least a season (2 windows) surely?

The rot has been set deep in recent times.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

August 28, 2018, 06:42:54 PM
Reply #181

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I’m not saying sack him or anything in the same universe as that btw I hope no one thinks that, I’m just saying let’s talk about how he’s doing and how the team are adapting at that point.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 28, 2018, 06:48:44 PM
Reply #182

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber

you see, i don't really think it has. I think there was a concerted PR effort to make it look like we had a bag-of-shit squad.
But we've only added one player and looked an order of magnitude better all over the pitch.

August 28, 2018, 06:55:12 PM
Reply #183

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
you see, i don't really think it has. I think there was a concerted PR effort to make it look like we had a bag-of-shit squad.
But we've only added one player and looked an order of magnitude better all over the pitch.

Worst CF options in the league last year imo, until we brought Cenk in. Every other side had a forward that would have got in ahead of ours.

Easily a relegation back four started the year, Kenny, Keane, Williams, Cuco - just dreadful dreadful dreadful.

Just the balance of the side and the top and bottom heavy age spread as well, minutes going to players too old AND too young, trying to bed players in with a total circus going on and getting pumped in every competition going both home and away.... just a nightmare.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

August 28, 2018, 07:00:12 PM
Reply #184

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Worst CF options in the league last year imo, until we brought Cenk in. Every other side had a forward that would have got in ahead of ours.

Easily a relegation back four started the year, Kenny, Keane, Williams, Cuco - just dreadful dreadful dreadful.

Just the balance of the side and the top and bottom heavy age spread as well, minutes going to players too old AND too young, trying to bed players in with a total circus going on and getting pumped in every competition going both home and away.... just a nightmare.

Shout out to Cenk btw who is leading the line quite brilliantly at the moment.

Just needs to bag, but hasn't really had a chance yet

August 28, 2018, 07:03:37 PM
Reply #185

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

He’s growing on me our cenk, celebrates others goals well as well which is a totally soft thing I shouldn’t be arsed about but I am.

Hope we can give him some service.

August 28, 2018, 07:46:24 PM
Reply #186

Martip

He’s growing on me our cenk, celebrates others goals well as well which is a totally soft thing I shouldn’t be arsed about but I am.

Hope we can give him some service.
I like him but am not sure he's the long term answer to us having a crack at the top 4 later on.....hes doing ok atm although not pulling up any trees.

August 28, 2018, 07:48:31 PM
Reply #187

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I like him but am not sure he's the long term answer to us having a crack at the top 4 later on.....hes doing ok atm although not pulling up any trees.

Not sure any of them are the answer to top 4.

August 28, 2018, 08:10:19 PM
Reply #188

Bluedylan

No sorry?

I’m talking about his prem history, and I’ve said I’m not sweating any of it until he’s had like 10 games to see how his system is looking.

You don’t have any opinion? You don’t say want to watch that video above and see how his tactics are shaping up, or anything like that?

I don't think the sample size is enough to be able to really form an opinion yet.

I would point to numerous examples of managers in the past (including Ferguson at Utd) who took a long time to build their sides, and would've  been sacked before they ever achieved anything in today's climate with such instantaneous judgements.

I get that you're not saying this, but I'm really tired of the desire for instantaneous results or success. I also think purely statistical analysis is very limited, and completely ignores context, background, the human side of the game.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 28, 2018, 08:15:13 PM
Reply #189

sam of the south

Not sure any of them are the answer to top 4.

I have an admittedly romanticised feeling that Richarlison is
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

August 28, 2018, 08:18:26 PM
Reply #190

Bluedylan

Defo is. So's Pickford. Bernard potentially could be. Zouma at is best is (winning Chelsea's player of the season, for example). Gana and Gylfi could get in Top 4 squads, imo.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 08:20:09 PM by Bluedylan »
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

August 28, 2018, 08:26:23 PM
Reply #191

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Same, pickford as well.

August 28, 2018, 08:27:45 PM
Reply #192

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't think the sample size is enough to be able to really form an opinion yet.

I would point to numerous examples of managers in the past (including Ferguson at Utd) who took a long time to build their sides, and would've  been sacked before they ever achieved anything in today's climate with such instantaneous judgements.

I get that you're not saying this, but I'm really tired of the desire for instantaneous results or success. I also think purely statistical analysis is very limited, and completely ignores context, background, the human side of the game.

That’s fine but after 10/11 games there will be stories to tell and insights to be had in the data and performances. Not going to ignore them if they far bad because I certainly won’t if they are good.

I expect they will be mixed.

August 28, 2018, 08:34:08 PM
Reply #193

Mouse

I enjoy watching Cenk and what he brings to the team. He is willing to sacrifice himself to create space for others and his strength and hold-up play are contributing greatly to what we do. He just needs a goal for his own sake, his general play has been enough to justify his place.

I've only seen highlights of Saturday but it seems we are showing huge improvement going forward. Amazing what a bit of a plan and allowing players to play in their correct postions can do. Defensively I'm not fully convinced yet, but we are still playing with the same players that were confused and all over the place last season. Central defence is definitely better and I feel for Keane as he is just finding some form. It is a sign of where we are now that losing 2 central defenders to injury and suspension is not seen as a catastrophe.

What I am certain about is that only 3 games into any season it is madness to make any general statements about style or progress. Only Richarlison of our summer transfers has had any kind of game time, I don't think we are near seeing Silva's own best 11. Brap2 is right to call for 10 games just to have a better idea of what Silva's 'style' is and how our squad is adapting to it.

August 28, 2018, 08:37:57 PM
Reply #194

sam of the south

I’m still not sure on Pickford’s Top 4 credentials, although I like him a lot, he doesn’t make me feel entirely calm, and I feel a top goalkeeper should.

Southall did in the 80’s for example, as did Martyn in his stint with us, and they were both top class.

Howard was an excellent keeper in his pomp with us, but he never made me feel calm, and he wasn’t top level either.

I’m probably talking shit, but it’s just how I feel (although I’m sure I would feel calmer if Pickford also had a solid, pacey backline in front of him)
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them