July 16, 2019, 05:18:18 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 90863 times)

December 27, 2018, 03:22:35 AM
Read 90863 times

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
We are going to always concede chances. Its how the team deal with those chances and how they are defended. It's how many saves, blocks, tackles and clearances that are made thats important, especially away from home.

January 09, 2019, 04:19:09 PM
Reply #1

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Anyone who thinks that we aren’t playing better football has “last season amnesia”.

The football we played last season was dreadful. The management was equally dreadful. The quality of players we had at our disposal doesn’t even compare to this season.

The way of the world now is to want instant gratification, and instant success. People want things now, and in some cases, that is fair enough. We all want to read that Everton are contenders for the league or champions league, and we all want success as soon as possible.

But trying to achieve what Everton are trying to do requires a lot of patience, and a great long term strategy. Constantly chopping and changing things because we haven’t won much in the short term completely goes against this.

The way I see it with managers is that it is like an investment into a stock. You always have a rationale for buying the stock at the outset. If the stock falls in price, you only sell it if that rationale has fundamentally changed from the reason that you bought it in the first place. Why did we hire Marco Silva, and has the rationale changed? We hired him to play a better brand of football and get closer to the top 6, and to some extent, I believe come the end of the season, he will have partially achieved this. We might not get closer to the top 6 this season, but I do think his time will come and we have the right man in place.

I want to see Silva given at least 3 years before he is judged on whether he will succeed in bringing our goals as a club to fruition. I am very happy that Brands is now here for the long term, so that we stop making irresponsible and rash decisions that only set us back rather than stabilise/move us forward.

January 09, 2019, 05:38:41 PM
Reply #2

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Better players, playing better football under better management..... results are worse. How’s that work/ we just really unlucky

Because it's a short term view of things. You can't completely judge someone over 21 games. It takes time to shape a philosophy and strategy. judge results over 3 years and then we can assess how well he is doing.

January 11, 2019, 03:21:28 PM
Reply #3

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
The problem we are now facing isn't too dissimilar from last season, in that we don't seem to have a front man who can cause other teams problems.

Richarlison sounds like he doesn't really want to be the main man, and DCL/Tosun like to come deep for the ball rather than pushing the opposition defenders and staying on the last man. Niasse doesn't have the quality or consistency to play for Everton.

Playing with DCL/Tosun causes the whole team tactical issues. Because they both don't like staying on the last man, and aren't particularly blessed with lightening pace/power, the opposition defence can step up and squeeze the pitch. This gives our midfield less time on the ball, and so they have to have pinpoint accuracy in order to make anything happen. I do believe this is why Silva is forced to play DCL rather than Tosun, as he is the quicker of the 2, and the best of a bad bunch. I still believe Tosun is the best finisher at the club, however I just don't see how he fits into our system and helps the team.

I'm not sure that the striker issue will be solved in January, but we have to sort it out in August, as we still haven't found the permanent solution to losing Lukaku.

January 11, 2019, 04:43:53 PM
Reply #4

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
DCL is one of the quickest in the league

just one thing to think about with him he came back into the starting 11 after the team started to dip , was taking out of the team when he was playing well at the start of the season
we have 3 for the spot and the managers is not happy with 2 of them so what must DCL be thinking when a winger is playing there over him when he was playing well (all be it not banging one in every game ) 

In terms of pace, I was more referring to Tosun - DCL is quick but the fact that he can't effectively use it, or Silva can't get the best out of it is more worrying. He also needs to get a predatory instinct about him and start finishing. There is no excuse for him to not be more lethal around goal.

January 13, 2019, 10:32:44 PM
Reply #5

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber

6 now  :woohoo:

Its exactly the kind of clinical finish that I was saying we need to start seeing from him. He does seem to be better coming off the bench than playing from the start though.

February 07, 2019, 07:23:12 PM
Reply #6

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
I'd like to see us continue with Davies in Sig's position. His twisting and turning, movement and quick passing, when released from a defensive responsibility, gives us more options going forward.

Whether that equates to more or less of an overall goal threat only time will tell but the early signs are promising enough to warrant a further look.

I would like to see Tom Davies in the number 10 position a lot more. The guy's feet is one of the best at the club, and he is so calm on the ball. He has an ability to beat a man from very close range, which isn't something a lot of players have. This could create space for others, much like Silva does for City - I actually think this is who Davies should model himself around, not a hard tackling centre mid.

February 27, 2019, 08:47:06 PM
Reply #7

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Is it time to discuss Schneiderlin?

Is there a way back for the much maligned figure?

He did well yesterday, but it was against a really poor Cardiff side. Never write anyone off, but as per always, he needs to produce more going forwards to make any impact in the first team.

March 04, 2019, 09:29:12 PM
Reply #8

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Set plays are better because we aren't giving away stupid freekicks. We are actually a good defensive team in open play.

We have conceded less goals from open play than Man Utd and Arsenal, but the most in the league by set pieces. It stands to reason that if we can sort this out, we will be in a very good place next season.

Offensively, we have scored the 7th most from open play, with the only teams ahead of us being the top 6. Not too bad.

April 09, 2019, 11:11:10 PM
Reply #9

Gary1878

NSNO Subscriber
Some very nice analysis of the game by Arsenal fans, and on how Everton exploited Arsenal's weaknesses:

http://youaremyarsenal.com/everton-arsenal-premier-league-tactical-analysis-statistics/