There have been lots of small insignificant things that have worked against us at the start that all add up - some of which are Silva's fault, and some a failure elsewhere:
- Richarlison off form after no pre-season coming back from Copa America.
- Failing to sign Zouma's replacement, and Keane/Mina subsequently struggling
- Injuries to both Gomes and Gbamin, forcing us to play Schneiderlin, who is utterly toothless. Delph has been OK, but has been forced to do all of the creative work and cover for Morgan too many times.
- Moise Kean has failed to hit the ground running. Chopping and changing between him and DCL has given neither any sort of run in the team or form, causing our finishing to suffer
- Bernard has been inexplicably left out of the team after striking a very nice partnership with Digne. Iwobi hasn't had a consistent role, and hasn't struck any meaningful partnership with any other player.
- Jury continues to be out on Siggy, who is wildly inconsistent and gets marked out of the game too often. He doesn't seem to know how to overcome this, which is why it is baffling to most why he hasn't been dropped.
- Our passing has been very poor and the build up play slow because of this. Our movement has become very static, which suits teams which sit back against us
- Overall finishing has been woeful. We are creating chances, but failure to put them in the net at crucial points of games has hurt us
There is no doubt that the manager has made a few major mistakes, and ultimately the responsibility does fall on him to get things right. But the players are the ones out there that need to create and score goals, and they need to take their fair share of flack. At the moment, they are both letting us down.