November 19, 2018, 04:26:37 AM

Author Topic: 2018-19 International Blues I  (Read 8012 times)

ajax_andy and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 04, 2018, 03:32:19 PM
Reply #15

MmmblueBernard

Iím delighted Richarlison got his well deserved call up but at the same time terrified heíll get injured.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 04, 2018, 03:37:01 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

If we get through international breaks without Richarlisons dad suggesting heíd quite like to win trophies sometime soon Iíll be content.

September 04, 2018, 04:23:00 PM
Reply #17

MmmblueBernard

If we get through international breaks without Richarlisons dad suggesting heíd quite like to win trophies sometime soon Iíll be content.

Heís not Belgian ya know.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 04, 2018, 06:27:38 PM
Reply #18

Tony Clifton

McCarthy on track to return just in time to get injured again in next months internationals.  ;)

September 04, 2018, 06:30:23 PM
Reply #19

Shogun

Administrator
Not really a fan but good backup to Gana.

More likely he’ll be at Celtic come next summer, mind.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 06:31:43 PM by Shogun »
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

September 04, 2018, 06:35:20 PM
Reply #20

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
That video was ages ago you know?

Edit: also I wonder what his passing is like compared to Gana / Schneiderlin actually? Might appear less crabby
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 04, 2018, 06:39:31 PM
Reply #21

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Edit: also I wonder what his passing is like compared to Gana / Schneiderlin actually? Might appear less crabby

You see that chart knocking about last night? Basically comparing how quick and effective midfielders are when using the ball.

Surprisingly Morgan is amongst the leagues best when it comes to using the ball quickly

Gana isn't, but I always maintain he's not there for that. Win it, pop it off and sit

September 04, 2018, 06:51:17 PM
Reply #22

dazfrancis

You see that chart knocking about last night? Basically comparing how quick and effective midfielders are when using the ball.

Surprisingly Morgan is amongst the leagues best when it comes to using the ball quickly

Gana isn't, but I always maintain he's not there for that. Win it, pop it off and sit

Nice. Agree we can't expect too much of the same from Gana as we do from Scheiderlin.

You got a link to the chart?

September 04, 2018, 07:23:08 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

McCarthy would be right up there if theyíre looking at players who use the ball quickly. Heís top drawer at already looking behind him, or at best to the side, for a zero responsibility negative ball before heís even got it.

September 04, 2018, 07:25:34 PM
Reply #24

Tony Clifton

Yeah, thought I'd seen it before...  it was just posted on the echo site again with the update on his comeback, that's my excuse anyway.  Well, that and my fried brain. ;)

September 04, 2018, 07:35:50 PM
Reply #25

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

I did see that yeah but to be fair not a great deal of minutes played so far so likely to get skewed results.

The CM article by @footballfactman on Twitter is the best read on this for us. The Everton preview on statsbomb mentions it as well I think I.e how well do we move the ball up the pitch etc.

Re: Gana - yes I agree that that is what he is *good at* but that doesn’t seem to be what he is being *asked to do* which are two very different things.

Every touch Gana takes in transition or in the final third is for me, a touch that should be taken by Gylfi. But that isn’t what we see, what we see is Gana winning the ball back an incredible amount and then more often then not dribbling in half circles and passing backwards or sideways to someone else who is equally as bad at going forward. Checkout toffee analysis for his Bournemouth review as well. Good detail with gifs explaining etc.

Edit: also Morgan will be up there because it was a Quick/Accurate matrix which he will be both because he’s a competent passer and quick at recycling posession, but doesn’t try passes into the final third or with any kind of risk or impetus to them (I.e risk of being inaccurate - check out where neves is on that chart for instance.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 07:38:27 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 04, 2018, 09:16:42 PM
Reply #26

Toddacelli

I did see that yeah but to be fair not a great deal of minutes played so far so likely to get skewed results.

The CM article by @footballfactman on Twitter is the best read on this for us. The Everton preview on statsbomb mentions it as well I think I.e how well do we move the ball up the pitch etc.

Re: Gana - yes I agree that that is what he is *good at* but that doesnít seem to be what he is being *asked to do* which are two very different things.

Every touch Gana takes in transition or in the final third is for me, a touch that should be taken by Gylfi. But that isnít what we see, what we see is Gana winning the ball back an incredible amount and then more often then not dribbling in half circles and passing backwards or sideways to someone else who is equally as bad at going forward. Checkout toffee analysis for his Bournemouth review as well. Good detail with gifs explaining etc.

Edit: also Morgan will be up there because it was a Quick/Accurate matrix which he will be both because heís a competent passer and quick at recycling posession, but doesnít try passes into the final third or with any kind of risk or impetus to them (I.e risk of being inaccurate - check out where neves is on that chart for instance.)

Am I over-simplifying it too much to expect our better ballers to be immediately making themselves available to the ones who win it back? If every time Gana is getting near the ball, the likes of Sigurdsson, Walcott, Richarlison etc are aware of  where they are in relation to him and whether they can show for an easy pass - is that too much to expect?

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 04, 2018, 09:25:37 PM
Reply #27

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Am I over-simplifying it too much to expect our better ballers to be immediately making themselves available to the ones who win it back? If every time Gana is getting near the ball, the likes of Sigurdsson, Walcott, Richarlison etc are aware of  where they are in relation to him and whether they can show for an easy pass - is that too much to expect?

Feels simple doesnít it but this is a problem that has existed for us since before we got Barry, so i assume there are other elements to it besides move towards the ball winner.

Plus Gana must get asked to try and be a bit more progressive on the ball, ala Kante this season, because Koeman, unsworth, allardyce and silva have all pushed him up the field with Schneiderlin behind.

September 04, 2018, 09:30:09 PM
Reply #28

Evertonian in NC

Hate international weeekends

At least it's NFL kickoff weekend.  Takes some of the bite out of it.  Not the majority, by any means.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 04, 2018, 11:05:09 PM
Reply #29

Lxxx

Feels simple doesnít it but this is a problem that has existed for us since before we got Barry, so i assume there are other elements to it besides move towards the ball winner.

Plus Gana must get asked to try and be a bit more progressive on the ball, ala Kante this season, because Koeman, unsworth, allardyce and silva have all pushed him up the field with Schneiderlin behind.

See I donít actually think Gana is bad at that at all. He can win the ball and drive forward 10 yards quite easily and is quite effective at it too. Itís the next stage where we fall down because we lack the fluidity of movement ahead of him which makes him pirouette and turn back, making him look more limited than he is.

It might come once we get the new way of playing bedded in and better quality at No 9 and 10.